PC upgrade

There are 95 replies in this Thread. The last Post () by Martind Forlon.

• I think OP have a point there DDR5 is not actualy that faster cos of high latency but we all agree that staying at curent tecnology is not investment in future so if we rly want upgrade DDR5 is logic choice on the other hand its all obout budget or just wait the new technology become a standard. Well i say 32 gigs for sure 16 is bottom line. That case is good choice if im not mistaken that front is a mesh with 2 140mm fans? You seem to like both performance and aesthetics like me :D but that costs. Obout cooling if you decide to go air that Noctua is always good choice if not the best. It seams also you rly like that MSI board so i7 for sure dont degrade it with i5. I was ROG fan earlyer but ill return to MSI cos a lot of negative reports obout that recent Asus boards. The most expensive part is graphic card so by the time you upgrade that part this is going to be huge bottleneck in system but still much better then your old configuration. And obout that power suply 700W is more then enough for that parts you planing to buy but if you upgrade GPU you r going to walk on thin line :D

• Searching for RAM modules:

• 32GB: Kingston Fury Beast Black 32GB (2x16GB) DDR5 6000 CL36, AMD EXPO ... XMP Profile #1: DDR5-6000 CL36-38-38 @1.35V ... those are low profile which may be good idea with chosen Noctua cooler.
    • 16GB: Kits with 2x8GB have much less options, I found only Kingston Fury Beast Black 16GB (2x8GB) DDR5 6000 CL40 with XMP Profile #1: DDR5-6000 CL40-40-40 @1.35V (those are also low profile)

both kits are in chosen MB compatibility list

• That case is good choice if im not mistaken that front is a mesh with 2 140mm fans?

• 32 gigs definetly OMG that latencys but you cant have it all. I use FURY RAMs also almost 4 years.Normally I would recommend GSkill RAM, but those Furys aren't bad either. Corsair Vengeance LP also excellent. You will also have to rely on luck whether you get Samsung Hynix or Micron memory modules, I was lucky I got Samsung B die sticks. As far as I know, GSkill uses almost exclusively Samsung memory modules. And obout that case that beauty have gooood airflow.

• I tried to look also DD4 builds, but it seems like their lifetime/sales are ending (sadly price is not affected) and in local stores I did not find anything what would catch my interest. Below is build based on DDR 5 and I've added better PSU:

• Fractal Design Focus 2 Black Solid (case)
    • MSI MAG Z790 TOMAHAWK WIFI
    • Corsair RM850x (2021)
    • Intel Core i7-13700K ... (TDP 253W)
    • Noctua NH-D15 chromax.black
    • Kingston 32GB KIT DDR5 6000MHz CL36 FURY_Beast Black EXPO ... (KF560C36BBEK2-32, XMP Profile 1: DDR5-6000 CL36-38-38 @1.35V, KIT is supported by MB)
    • GIGABYTE RTX 4070 GAMING OC ... (GV-N4070GAMING OC-12GD)
    • Monitor: AOC 24G2U/BK ... (IPS, 144 Hz, 1 ms, FreeSync Premium, HDR Mode, Adjustable Stand)

Edit by
    Added Monitor info and new GPU, in 1080p it runs Cyberpunk (Phantom_Liberty), Starfield, Elite Dangerous etc ... on max. Cyberpunk is perfectly running with Ray tracing.

• That is good build. You should consider buying aditional fans later when you add new gpu that cpu also have bad habit to use a lot of power that goes to heat :D. My advice since you plan to use old GPU and considering that will be huge bottleneck i recomend you to lock voltage on that cpu and keep it at default frequencies so you get stable pc.

• I've added new 500GB SSD (Samsung 970 Evo Plus, will be used only for windows and few other sw except games), since in old PC I have Samsung 960 (250 GB) and new mobo do not have this one in compatibility list (970-990 are listed) and sent order ;) ... should be home in 1-2 days. My "old" PC will very likely end on my son desk, so it will have its use. He is very impatient, but he will need wait till next year when I buy new graphic :D ...

I've now checked windows license on my PC ... it is OEM license installed on that older 960 samsung. So I need to take care about one more thing, and it is new windows 11 license. I'm little unsure how to proceed with this, but I can buy secondary licensed windows 11. In one local verified shop is avialable an "Retail" version for 59 EUR. To be sure I specifically asked about it, hence they have description in Czech. It is not exactly cheap but still 1/3 of normal price. I also have cheaper options (around 40 EUR, but this was OEM license). There should be possible also buy old OEM win 7 key and use it for win11 activation, but I do not know exactly how it works and if it really is worth the hassle.

• you can transfer your windows from the old SSD to the new one

I did pretty much the same 2 years ago

signew.jpg

cfmoddblogo.png5904.png5904.png
    http://www.moddb.com/scripts/topsite.php?ts=4766

Only dead fish swim with the stream.
    Don't discuss with idiots. They only drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience there.

This is ten percent luck,
    Twenty percent skill,
    Fifteen percent concentrated power of will,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,
    And a hundred percent reason to remember the name!

• If i understand you correctly you wanna transfer your licence to a new computer but if you have OEM licence that is inposible on the otherhand retail licence is bound to the Microsoft account and all you need is to log in while installing windows. Second thing you think that your old SSD is not compatible with the new system that is funny :D it will working trust me maybe not with full speeds but that is neglible. If you wanna keep monney there is another way for licencing windows even microsoft tech used it :D i can provide you with that. Or you can just clone your entire SSD to a new one as OP saids but that dont solve licencing issue. Edit I bought mine licence for 10 euros so paying more is to agree with microsoft rip off they dont care trust me they will get there monney thry microtransactions from windows it self :D

• the cheapest key I was able to find for win 11 pro was ~3€

signew.jpg

cfmoddblogo.png5904.png5904.png
    http://www.moddb.com/scripts/topsite.php?ts=4766

Only dead fish swim with the stream.
    Don't discuss with idiots. They only drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience there.

This is ten percent luck,
    Twenty percent skill,
    Fifteen percent concentrated power of will,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,
    And a hundred percent reason to remember the name!

• For my actual PC I have further use (or better to say my son really want to have it ;) ), so I will keep that older SSD with windows as it is now and solve new windows license for new PC.

I will look little more around, OEM will be good enough, if is cheap, but I still need (must) verified source (shop). I have some restrictions related to use of legal software due my RL work position. This is not something what I can take lightly. Thx for advices guys, I go check what is offered by local sellers.

edit: ... found one local seller which I used before, price is better as I found in 1st lap :)

• New build is up and running. So far it seems like all works very smoothly. Tested shortly play Elite Dangerous and Cyberpunk 2077 and play seemed more fluid including higher fps. PC runs very quiet. Also windows activation passed without any issues. ... Now will come that slower part with reinstalling other stuff, setting back keybindings (which I forgot to backup), testing to start old pc with integrated graphic and so on :)

• Congrats on your new build use it well and have fun im interested to see cinebench results and temps while you testing. I have intel in consideration so i would like some feedback from users if you have some time of course. That will also grant you insight of system stability so no time wasted :D

• Cinebench test for multicores was 29993 and for singlecore was 2074. I did not watched temperatures, but for multicores were fans busy :)

• That is wery good results for multy core but for single core there must of be little throtling that is why i asked you to check temperatures im actualy consider this CPU over Ryzen 7 5700 or completely transfer to DDR 5 with 7000 series prices are better for Intel CPU but good boards are a little expencive AMD still cheaper in global.

• After few more days I can confirm that Elite Dangerous is on new PC working visibly better with "old" graphic card. Much less stuttering, shmootness of functioning, and also movement of more objects. To this include also faster game start etc. It looks like older CPU (i5-8400), or maybe less ram (16 vs 32) were limiting overal gaming output despite what were various benchmark utilities saying about good balance.