Surface Navigation

There are 6 replies in this Thread. The last Post () by Martind Forlon.

• For these which have Horizons season pass or lifetime license is available surface landing on barren and ice planet types (for now only these two). Simple landing on planet's surface is easy, if you avoid planets with high gravity, where also landing may be quite tricky :) . Something different is, if you want landing on given coordinates ... there may be destination for the Tip Off missions, special settlements (like INRA bases), barnacles, thargoid's structures, Guardians sites and more. Watch first the video posted below and then look on the picture which will offer guide which is easy to remember. ... I'm playing ED for few years already, but I need admit that I really didn't knew how it really works ... I was using always trial & error method for reaching the destination. :blush:

Explaining how surface navigation in ED works in few minutes:

And here simple image guide:

p.s.: here is an external tool which can help with this: ed:bearing , but I always wanted to know how to land on concrete place myself.

• So far ive only landed on bases (or randomly on planets).
    The best way i was able to figure out was to select the based on the planet overview on the system map and then simply using the hud marker to find the correct position.

signew.jpg

cfmoddblogo.png5904.png5904.png
    http://www.moddb.com/scripts/topsite.php?ts=4766

Only dead fish swim with the stream.
    Don't discuss with idiots. They only drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience there.

This is ten percent luck,
    Twenty percent skill,
    Fifteen percent concentrated power of will,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,
    And a hundred percent reason to remember the name!

• It can come handy when you want come to places like here:

Reference: Fumeroles, Geysers and Volcanism | Canonn Research Group
    Locations and others: Resources | Canonn Research Group
    Web dedicated to Geysers and Fumaroles: mwsog
    Detailed spreadsheet: Geysers - Google Sheets

• yeah but...
    you are posting these fancy pics of these places so why should I go there?

signew.jpg

Don't discuss with idiots. They only drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience there.

Twenty percent skill,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,

• from practical point of view are these places 'infested' by various micromaterials usable for synthesis or engineering.

• yeah yeah, and thats where you lost me
    Ive no idea what micromaterials are and what to do with them. Probably its way too complicated as I am currently just flying around doing random missions ;)

signew.jpg

Twenty percent skill,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,

• yeah yeah, and thats where you lost me
    Ive no idea what micromaterials are and what to do with them. Probably its way too complicated as I am currently just flying around doing random missions ;)

:bcool: Depends if you have Horizons season pass. If yes, then micromaterials you can see in right HUD panel under Inventory:

• Ship cargo
    • Materials (up to 1000 units)
    • Data (up to 500 units)
    • Synthesis
    • Cabins

Materials (micro) and Data (micro) are what allows you use Synthesis (in short: rearm of weps, limpets, extend jump-range (1x), repair and refuel SRV etc). Materials and Data also allows you use Engineers, which can upgrade your ship systems (weapons, utility etc). Is worth note that engineering should be significantly updated in Q1 update announced for this year. At FD forum is atm ongoing heavier debate about this. Exact places for micromats and microdata are for much longer discussion ;)