Superfetch service (disable or not?)

There are 5 replies in this Thread. The last Post () by SWAT_OP-R8R.

• Can someone "Win" skilled explain to me what this Superfetch service should do? I asks bcs my poor laptop disk usage is/was almost permanently on 100% and this ended after I disabled this service. With this also started work displaying icons in bottom/right corner of posts (like, edit etc.). If there is not some hidden "harm" to my laptop I will gladly keep this service disabled permanently.

• Superfetch is a file cache service that loads frequently used programs into your PCs memory (even when you dont use them).
    Benefit is that if you use these programs they start alot quicker. The disadvantage is that your PC keeps loading stuff even when you dont need it.
    If it bothers you, disable it.
    If you have a SSD it is even recommended not to use Superfetch at all.

You also should think about if you need file indexing for your windows search. Yes it makes explorer searches faster but it also slows down your PC.
    To disable it just right-click a drive - go to properties and disable it right on the first tab.

signew.jpg

cfmoddblogo.png5904.png5904.png
    http://www.moddb.com/scripts/topsite.php?ts=4766

Only dead fish swim with the stream.
    Don't discuss with idiots. They only drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience there.

This is ten percent luck,
    Twenty percent skill,
    Fifteen percent concentrated power of will,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,
    And a hundred percent reason to remember the name!

• Thx, I've disabled search also, plus I have modified virtual memory settings (minimum as was recommended and maximum to 1,5x size of physical memory). Looks like all these changes benefits to performance of this laptop, which is really nice :)

... ha, usage of disk is now under 10% ... a quite huge difference

• Which Windows 10 build ?
    Bcs there are a new feature about storage cleaning on build 1709: Options, System, Storage and Storage assistent (dunno excact english frase) - It's a good start for cleaning disk(s) automatic.
    And there's the good old cleanmgr.exe:
    To setup (job settings no. 65535) use command (from admin command prompt) %SystemRoot%\System32\Cmd.exe /c Cleanmgr /sageset:65535
    Mark all or what you want to cleanup and OK to exit
    To run above use use command (from admin command prompt) start Cleanmgr /sagerun:65535
    Now you can run this command from time to time ( start Cleanmgr /sagerun:65535 )

Voila

CF RP: Probably smuggling something or exploring the universe
    EM char: Event_Manager_Silverfox

9248-cebc88b9.png

• 1709. Checked this and have "intelligent storage" switched off. For now is laptop working smoothly so I will better keep my fingers off from further changes :)

• oh that new storage cleanup looks interesting
    and easy way to clean stuff up without any extra tools
    didnt notice it until you mentioned it

signew.jpg

cfmoddblogo.png5904.png5904.png
    http://www.moddb.com/scripts/topsite.php?ts=4766

Only dead fish swim with the stream.
    Don't discuss with idiots. They only drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience there.

This is ten percent luck,
    Twenty percent skill,
    Fifteen percent concentrated power of will,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,
    And a hundred percent reason to remember the name!