How to survive Ancient Drones in Mission 30

There are 16 replies in this Thread. The last Post () by dark68360.

• Seriously. This mission has just insane difficulty compared to everything that I've encountered before. Was it not playtested in solo single player at all?

I can kill the first three drones as required (usually with heavy damage to my ship), but after that you are required to return to the jumphole while being pursued by a half a dozen drones equipped with cruise disruptors. I've never gotten even close. Is there some secret technique to surviving this mission, or is it just impossible?

• IDK if this will help you, but there is a secret technology that can make the fight easier, the Sunslayer torpedo launcher.
    If you can land a Sunslayer torpedo on the drone's unshielded hull, the drone will lose its weapons. It will try to cut and run so keep the cruise disruptor handy. Salvo of three Sunslayers can do this even to a drone with full shield.
    (If I were to pick a ship specifically for drone fighting I'd use Eliminator, which has three torp slots. Or Basilisk.)
    As for escaping that area... In SP Safe Cruise, as I heard, doesn't work. :( Try turning countermeasure dropper on and steer away from drones. With an Adv. Subspace Scanner you can detect them a long way. You can use thrust-engine kill-reverse if you caught a disruptor but are out of drones' weapon range, but it's a gamble to use it in a roid field.

"Across the savage skies and through the fissures in the fields,
    The rumble of the engines and the trundle of the wheels,
    Through hell and horror trudge and yet their spirits never yield.
    Will they sing of these forsaken pawns of war?"
    -Miracle Of Sound, "Pawns of War".

Edited once, last by Ajay ().

• Alright, managed to beat the damn mission, though it was technically cheating and I don't feel any sense of accomplishment.

Anyway, my trick to beating the Drones was to lure the first Drone near the GMG station (the Drone will follow you if you get within 5K of it or closer, even with your cruise engines on all the time), and the rest soon followed. I hid my ship among the structures of the station and carefully sniped the drones whenever they came close enough while letting the powerful defense cannons of the station to support me. It still took several tries and over an hour to kill all ten Drones, but I finally managed to do it.

There was just no other way. This mission is horribly broken in SP and needs to be fixed. Seriously.

• ...Right. In the very next mission, even more OP enemy ships, again armed with cruise disruptors, appear in the Inner Core missions. It is just flat out impossible to survive alone. So much for that single player experience. I'm done with this mod. I really wanted to like it, but I get no enjoyment from this any more.

I suggest you use actual playtesters in the future and listen to what they say before releasing your mods. Goodbye.

• Of course did we playtest the ALL the missions multiple times to make sure they are not too hard.
    The thing is that you better should get rid of the believe that you are a superhero that is supposed to whipe out everything in the game.
    The task in Dervon was to kill just a few drones (exactly 3 of them) and then run. After the 3rd kill you are told to leave the system as fast as possible. Maybe you should consider to follow such instructions.

Same goes for the Inner Core systems.
    You are on a scout mission, not on a personal "whipe everything out" campaign.
    Your only task is to cross enemy teritory alive. You of course can not beat the enemies on your first encounter, but later on with the help of new allies.

And just to clarify it... this mod was written bit by bit over a period of almost 10 years and with every version we allowed this community to playtest every bit of it. We did listen to the feedback and did changes where changes were needed. Community feedback during the development and after the release always was an important factor in creating this mod.

However, reading the mission instructions and following the on screen orders during the missions clearly help to get these missions done.
    It also helps to have a bit patience to allow us or any other player to answer your questions before freaking out here after just a couple of hours. It might surprise you but we also deserve a few hours sleep every night.

signew.jpg

cfmoddblogo.png5904.png5904.png
    http://www.moddb.com/scripts/topsite.php?ts=4766

Only dead fish swim with the stream.
    Don't discuss with idiots. They only drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience there.

This is ten percent luck,
    Twenty percent skill,
    Fifteen percent concentrated power of will,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,
    And a hundred percent reason to remember the name!

• ...Right. In the very next mission, even more OP enemy ships, again armed with cruise disruptors, appear in the Inner Core missions. It is just flat out impossible to survive alone. So much for that single player experience. I'm done with this mod. I really wanted to like it, but I get no enjoyment from this any more.

I suggest you use actual playtesters in the future and listen to what they say before releasing your mods. Goodbye.

All depends about if you want only release yours frustration OR if you want some help and/or advices. In first case Good bye and have good luck with playing other games/mods. In second case you may try look into our public wiki to Video Combat guides: https://swat-portal.com/forum/…i/crossfire/combatguides/ You can learn from there big amount of useful tactics and how to be better pilot. Next to this exists few more tricks which allows long-time survivability in Inner Core, but maybe you can first try improve your combat/evading skills. There is a reason why are some NPCs in Crossfire difficult, we want have them challenging so they can offer us fun over a long time.

• Hello LuseneX,
    there are two more suggestions that weren't mentioned here yet (although Mr Ajay was close):

1) just like in original Freelancer, you can always escape from enemies with cruise disruptors by using Engine Kill (Z key - works only in Free Flight mode and not in Go To) in combination with Thruster (Tab) to keep 200+ m/s speed;
    2) in Crossfire mod, there is a Difficulty slider under Options\General, with which you can make the game easier when necessary.

Hope this helps...

It,s always interesting to watch players come here and draw conclusions on just a few hours of play,If even that.
    Most if not all of us, Have first played "sp" as a starter and after completion moved on to a bigger challenge multiplayer.
    One important thing is attitude. So much creation and time by the Dev Team to continually keep challenges and exploration, to fight or trade. Which they have not even seen 1/10th of.
    All i can say is that, if players are looking for a shoot em up game then there come to the wrong place. :zitat:

• no

signew.jpg

Don't discuss with idiots. They only drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience there.

Twenty percent skill,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,

• well, if you managed to do that, congratz

signew.jpg

Twenty percent skill,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,

• For the ancients, true.

Anyway for suicidal mission, there are already missions where you need to take damage, or be at half HP for next event to trigger, else it goes endlessly lol Godmode ppl wont get past it.

Chars: [CFPD]Michael~something (x25), [CFPD]~SQMS~{[(store)]} (x3), [CFPD]xfer, Event~Manager~Michael, StarfIier~EM~Michael, Event_Team_2, [GR]Michael[SP] and a blueprint of [CFPD]Sephirothis