Windows 10 freezes

There are 5 replies in this Thread. The last Post () by SilverFox.

• Putting all my other problems with my current PC aside I seem to have a software related problem with Windows 10 for meanwhile a few months.

It randomly freezes.
    Its getting slow, does not react at all after some time and my only option is to reboot.
    It doesnt matter if the PC currently is idle or in the middle of a workload... it randomly happens.
    I googled a bit and found multiple topics about a bugged update that caused this problem... but that was 2016. Back then I didnt notice any problems.
    Now I do.
    And this does not only happen on this PC. I also have this problem on a PC at work and on my parents PC aswell.
    All of them use Windows 10 Pro.
    Two of these PCs have a SSD which I was able to read on some forums appears to be reason for the freezes but well, the PC at work has only an ordinary HDD.
    I so far have checked the power savings stuff and did PCI settings so power saving does not happen. Still the problems remain.

At least my main PC is 100% cleaned up.
    I did the usual windows error checks but without any results. Windows update tells me that there are no new updates available so I have to assume that I am on the latest build.
    The SSDs/HDD where windows is installed are error free.
    Sometimes I managed to get the task manager running when the problems with the freezing started but I wasnt able to observe any abnormal CPU loads/Memory usage/Drive writes.

My only assumption so far is that windows does background tasks that I can not recognize. I tried getting info from the event viewer around the time where these problems started. Yesterday I let the PC on for 30mins and during that time there is a gap in the event viewer logs. Not even the usual service entries.
    A few hours after that forced reboot windows wanted to do a small update when I was about to shut down the PC again.
    My only assumption right now is that its somehow related to windows updates but I am not sure about it.

signew.jpg

cfmoddblogo.png5904.png5904.png
    http://www.moddb.com/scripts/topsite.php?ts=4766

Only dead fish swim with the stream.
    Don't discuss with idiots. They only drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience there.

This is ten percent luck,
    Twenty percent skill,
    Fifteen percent concentrated power of will,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,
    And a hundred percent reason to remember the name!

• Hi OP, Had the same problems with windows 10 pro. Check out this guy on youtube. BARNACULES used some of his tricks and my problems stop. But can not get it to update to windows 10 creators. it will not let me get to the internet. on my new computer, but work well on my old one. on my new one went back to 1607 and it works fine. My computer is a Dell xps 8900 running windows 10 pro 1607 64bit, 64 gb G skill ripjaw 2133, 256 m.2 ssd plus 1 tb hard drive 650 watt power supply, asus dual series gtx 1070 8gb oc edition v-card vr and 4k. by the way be sure to back up all for your cf freelancer acct numbers, for some reason it will make the acct and all acct number delete or it removes them and also the exe. files, the two tec I use don't know why, and could not find them any were on the drives, and these guy are good.

• It doesn't sounds like Windows Update error, but that can be fixed simple.
    1. Stop Windows Update service
    2. delete folder download in C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution
    3. start Windows update

I suspect that it is related to a bugged Windows Search. So does searching work proper and fast (both Windows Search and Explorer Search) ?
    Fix: Run Control - Indexing options - Advanced - Rebuild index and wait some time for rebuild to end

In case it is some installed program, that does the "damage", use good old msconfig - services - hide microsoft services - disable all other services and work up from there.
    This is default Microsoft advice in case of odd things.
    hth

CF RP: Probably smuggling something or exploring the universe
    EM char: Event_Manager_Silverfox

9248-cebc88b9.png

• will try my luck with that tomorrow

signew.jpg

cfmoddblogo.png5904.png5904.png
    http://www.moddb.com/scripts/topsite.php?ts=4766

Only dead fish swim with the stream.
    Don't discuss with idiots. They only drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience there.

This is ten percent luck,
    Twenty percent skill,
    Fifteen percent concentrated power of will,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,
    And a hundred percent reason to remember the name!

• Wonder if they want to bug people to update to Creators edition lol. This edition used to bring more problems than good.

Chars: [CFPD]Michael~something (x25), [CFPD]~SQMS~{[(store)]} (x3), [CFPD]xfer, Event~Manager~Michael, StarfIier~EM~Michael, Event_Team_2, [GR]Michael[SP] and a blueprint of [CFPD]Sephirothis

• Maybe Task Scheduler can reveil the troubles. It has a log when jobs has been running (if you know when crashes happens).
    Consider disabling the Task Scheduler service while troubleshooting with msconfig - if the problem dissapears, then it it a scheduled task.

CF RP: Probably smuggling something or exploring the universe
    EM char: Event_Manager_Silverfox

9248-cebc88b9.png