Star Trek Discovery

There are 87 replies in this Thread. The last Post () by SWAT_OP-R8R.

• hi there :)

i was happy to realize that we have a new Star Trek series now and it looks promising, beside the beautyful women 8o

(yes, it is Sonequa Martin-Green from "the walking dead" :) )
    ok, riding with a jetpack through debris field and without big fat armor and/or shields is a stupid idea, in my humble opinion. but it looks great, especially with a binary solar system in the background.

but, the Klingons, really? are they serious? WHAT THE HECK THEY'VE DONE?!?!

for all non-trekkies here, this is how Klingons looked like in the original series:

in Next Generation and the related series (DS9, Voyager, even Enterprise), they evolved to:

i can live with that. no, i even liked that. and when u think about the moment, when Worf had to explain this transformation in my favourite DS9-episode "Do you know Tribbles?", that was really funny :)

but what the hell is this:

?

well, according to their behaviour, talkings and fightings, they are still cool, without doubts. but was it really neccessary to create a complete new masquerade? i wonder if Dax would have married Worf, if he looked like this ... hmmm ... Dax is somehow crazy, so probably yes :/

as i have read anywhere one episode of this series costs about 8 million dollars. they could have saved so much money, without this stupid changes ...

ok, one other cool thing about the new Klingons is their space suit:

and yes, their space ships ... i would like to have one ...

"There is no connection between truth and politics." Londo Mollari (Centauri Ambassador) londo.jpg

Dark Phoenix Clan introduction: link
    Sigma 17 Rules: link
    DP Recruiting Office: link

Events, Eventmanagers: link
    Event Rules: link

Edited once, last by denne ().

• redesinging the klingons clearly is a bold move
    introducing such an ugly ship design on the discovery is another one
    the other ship next to the discovery is looking more in line with the starfleet default design

but im sure they will find a good explanation for that

also keep in mind that the klingons in Kelvin Timeline have another different look

Btw. in that DS9 episode Worf didnt really explain what happened to the appearance of the Klingons
    He just said that Klingons prefer not to talk about that.

In Star Trek Enterprise the first try to deliver an explanation was done.
    In Star Trek Online there are multiple missions explaining everything in defail and how the results of the augumentation virus were eventually reverted.

However for the new series I have my problems to imagine to conclusive explanation to the different look.
    Klingons back then didnt have the tech to make genetic manipulations of such a scale and the "oh thats just the Kelvin Timeline" excuse also doesnt count here since Discovery seems to happen in the prime timeline.

To be honest the Klingon Spacesuit from STO and the Honor Guard Armors are my all time favorites.

signew.jpg

cfmoddblogo.png5904.png5904.png
    http://www.moddb.com/scripts/topsite.php?ts=4766

Only dead fish swim with the stream.
    Don't discuss with idiots. They only drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience there.

This is ten percent luck,
    Twenty percent skill,
    Fifteen percent concentrated power of will,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,
    And a hundred percent reason to remember the name!

• also keep in mind that the klingons in Kelvin Timeline have another different look

oh right, i totally forgot about the last 3 movies. but i have an excuse: i never took them seriously as STAR TREK. they are just entertainment very far related with Star Trek. the kelvin timeline was the worst idea. i can imagine, why they made it, it gives simply more freedom to tell more and new stories. but does this not prove in the same time the poor fantasy of the story-writers? there are hundreds or maybe thousands of Star Trek novels (along all Star Trek generations and series), many of them worth to screen them. there was no need to introduce an alternative timeline, at least not obligatory for more than 1 or 2 movies.

Btw. in that DS9 episode Worf didnt really explain what happened to the appearance of the Klingons
    He just said that Klingons prefer not to talk about that.

poor Worf, that was an awkward moment for him :D

In Star Trek Enterprise the first try to deliver an explanation was done.

and here u can see, that in these times they at least tried to be consistent and where it was not possible to be they gave - more or less - good explanations.

In Star Trek Online there are multiple missions explaining everything in defail and how the results of the augumentation virus were eventually reverted.

well, i never played STO, shame on me :/

Klingons back then didnt have the tech to make genetic manipulations of such a scale and the "oh thats just the Kelvin Timeline" excuse also doesnt count here since Discovery seems to happen in the prime timeline.

according the german wikipedia article (link) it is so. however, the english article (link) gives an interesting hint: "Page previously served as the concept and creature designer on the three "Kelvin Timeline" Star Trek films. The series also employed seven art directors, over nine illustrators, more than thirty-five set designers, and over four hundred and fifty painters, carpenters, sculptors, model makers, welders, set dressers, and prop builders."
    now we know, why this series is so expensive :D

"There is no connection between truth and politics." Londo Mollari (Centauri Ambassador) londo.jpg

• the problem with expensive Scifi series is that they get canceled very soon

the list of canceled sci-fi series is long
    I still cant forgive them for canceling Firefly and Defiying Gravity.

even Enterprise was canceled... justified
    Dont get me wrong, I really loved Star Trek Enterprise. Its just they focused too much on the temporal cold war in the last season and that pretty much killed it.
    When STO focused on the temporal cold war aswell, the game suffering because everything else until that point lost importance. Its the weakest story plot in Star Trek and also the one which belittles all other stories.

signew.jpg

Don't discuss with idiots. They only drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience there.

Twenty percent skill,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,

• exactly this, the danger of getting cancelled, is what i'm afraid of, why i criticize the costs.

and yes, Firefly and Defying Gravity had huge potentials. what i liked in Firefly was the logical use of lots of chinese words. Defying Gravity - similar to The Expanse and Mars - is a kind of science fiction that deserves to be called true science fiction. it comes without much super duper high end techno knick-knack and from the present point of view these futures could possibly come true ... if humans would put more resources into colonization of space instead military, but this is another story.

• Well what I was afraid of happened with Discovery. I really really don't likt it. And don't get me started on the Klingons.

Sarek was the only thing positive note for me. Even though he had a little too much humor for my taste.

• signew.jpg

Twenty percent skill,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,

• When starting to watch it I decided to give this series a chance and not judge it based on previous shows.
    Lets face it by todays standards not all of them were any great.

TOS was more fiction than science combined with bad acting.
    Voyager more like a bad soap opera... yeah in my eyes it was.
    However, no matter which series you take, at some point they all had their justification and I believe Discovery will develop its own justification.

There are of course a few things I dislike.
    e.g.
    the look of the ship which is absolutely not in line with the other federation ships
    Klingons - not their look but the fact that they appear to be honorless pussies
    Subtitles - reading klingon language in subtitles is awful.
    Strange command structures on the ship and in starfleet.
    Physics... its so strange to see the ship drop out of spore drive flight (and I am impatiently waiting for the explanation why such drives have not become standard in the following centuries)
    I am willing to ignore the fact that holodecks actually didnt exist until the late 24th century.

Other than that do I see a nice potential in the plot of Discovery and in its characters.

signew.jpg

Twenty percent skill,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,

• beside the expensive production i see the bad critics as a point that we should not expect a second season. since the new Star Trek movies they seem to give a damn on the opinions of the Star Trek fans. they seem to think that some super duper CGI effects and ST-specific technobabble and slang is enough. actually i must admit that even "the Orvill", a Star Trek PARODY, is more and better Star Trek and makes much more fun to watch than Discovery. of course all other ST series have had their bad moments, some more, some less. however, atm i can only hope that one of the fan theories about this series is true, that the Discovery set is in the mirror universe. that would explain at least a lot of the strange (means, not Federation/Starfleet-like) behaviour of the officers and the unusual and so far absolutely unknown sporedrive. however, i'll keep on watching it, but i don't expect too much.

btw. one of the best fan made projects is this one:

a pity that we won't see the end since cbs restricted fan projects so far, that it is impossible to get the second part working.

• lets take this fan theory about the mirror universe and toss it out of the next airlock
    or have you seen anything about the terran empire in discovery?
    the federation never existed in the mirror universe so this theory is nonsense.

I personally dont get why people even think about such stuff.
    There is nothing wrong with how the federation itself acts. The federation is at war and does what needs to be done.
    Sisco has done worse to win the Dominion war by creating a reason for the Romulans to enter that war. Kirk also never was a nice guy.
    Whatever happened in Discovery is not unusual to Star Trek. It happened before. People just dont want to remember that anymore.
    Ive seen comments that Federation in Discovery acts like the Terran Empire because they expand their territory. Well... the Federation always had done that.
    The Federation went to the Gamma Quadrant which caused the Dominion War.
    The Federation also caused a shitload of trouble and gunfire in Delta Quadrant.

I also disagree with multiple articles that ive read and also the in the series more than once mentioned guild of Burnham. That she is responsible for the war.
    Im not quiet sure if I watched two different first episodes but actually she is "just" guilty of attempted mutiny.
    The crap that she is responsible for the war is bullshit.
    The Klingons were up to start that war. Nothing Burnham did was reason the Klingons to open fire.
    Best you can blame her for is that her mutiny wasnt successful, coz that would have been the only thing that could have stopped the Klingons.
    Remember how many times Kirk got away with ignoring direct orders, violating the rules of the Federation and even stealing federation ships? The worst that happened to him was being demoted from Admiral to Captain.
    It appears a bit unfair to punish the only person who actively tried to prevent the klingon war in Discovery.

I cant say much about the Orville... all I know that its not running that well and might not see a 2nd season.
    Discovery however is widely accepted the way it is. There are of course many bad critics from die-hard fans of the franchise but that didnt prevent people from watching the show. CBS announced the 2nd season about one week ago.
    I think Discovery will need that 2nd season because there is so much content packed into the episodes atm that the pace at which the story is told feels too fast (at least for whats normal in Star Trek).

signew.jpg

Twenty percent skill,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,

• signew.jpg

Twenty percent skill,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,

• I made a mistake.

Yep, that is what it can be called.

I watched the first episode of Star Trek Discovery Season 2.

(if you have not watched it you probably should avoid this spoiler)

signew.jpg

Twenty percent skill,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,

• no

signew.jpg

Twenty percent skill,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,

• ... the episodes get more and more ridiculous

they have managed to make spock a psychopath murderer

signew.jpg

Twenty percent skill,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,