Freelancer Saves the Day

There are 14 replies in this Thread. The last Post () by Michael.

• Hello Everyone

Well after playing %lite %angerous for a few weeks and really wanting to get that space vibe going I found myself back at the old swat-portal.
    If there is one thing in life that gets me mad is why did I not go to school to learn computer programing and build a space game we all want
    to play in this day and age.
    The so called dream space game %tar %itizen will probably come out in 10 more years but you will need a NASA Space License just to fly in
    the game. That's just way to much I mean come on. It seems no one can get that nice medium we all want.

I have been a gamer for a long time and I'd like to be one a lot longer but with all the cheap Steam games there pushing on us and all the
    AAA Titles made for 10 year olds it seems the days of the older mans games are fading away quickly. Now we are going to pay to play on
    are new 4K TV's and I do not see mod's being made for these devices , but I could be wrong.
    Any way I'm glad we have a place to go and play some old favorites at the swat-portal and would like to thank all you guys for keeping the
    site open. Donation will be sent

• Freelancer lives forever! ;P

If one thing I can say is that it's THE BEST Sci-Fi Simulator ever made, no matter that's on 14 years old. And the Crossfire mod is the best addition to the game which really makes it like Freelancer 2, I just have no words to describe it how awesome it is.

Star Citizen will also be an epic Sci-Fi Sim, something like "GTA in Space" due to the fact that Chris Roberts knows how to make them, but Freelancer will always be on my heart and still my favorite Sim ever made, together with Crossfire.

And yeah, I know that you already heard it like a thousand times already OP, but trust me when I say this that you truly made the best mod for this amazing game and you brought us all together in this epic adventure which I will NEVER forget and will always stay no matter how many times I may go as "MIA" due to RL.

So, thank you so much for bringing it with your amazing team and also to all players that made it feel like home.

PS: Sorry but I had to say it ^ ^

due to the fact that Chris Roberts knows how to make them

does he?

signew.jpg

cfmoddblogo.png5904.png5904.png
    http://www.moddb.com/scripts/topsite.php?ts=4766

Only dead fish swim with the stream.
    Don't discuss with idiots. They only drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience there.

This is ten percent luck,
    Twenty percent skill,
    Fifteen percent concentrated power of will,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,
    And a hundred percent reason to remember the name!

• Yeah, there's something in this game that no other game had, for me. There are better looking ones, there are ones with more buttons, but keep going back to this. Elite is like a Star Citizen game we can play in present and its great too.

Chars: [CFPD]Michael~something (x25), [CFPD]~SQMS~{[(store)]} (x3), [CFPD]xfer, Event~Manager~Michael, StarfIier~EM~Michael, Event_Team_2, [GR]Michael[SP] and a blueprint of [CFPD]Sephirothis

• does he?

Well... he made Freelancer, that's pretty much enough for me. :D
    Also what I've seen so far from Star Citizen, it's amazing and I am fine with it by taking their time because the more they rush, the less quality we will get.

And Michael is right, Freelancer has this... "feeling" or "atmosphere" that no other game has. It's truly remarkable and I consider it as a masterpiece, because it's DEFINITELY my favorite game EVER. I've seen so many other awesome games with their crazy graphics, gameplay etc. but they LACK what Freelancer has, this... well, I don't even know how I should put it, but "atmosphere" that will NEVER get you tired of it, it's truly remarkable. And that's coming from a guy who isn't playing any more old games now, but Freelancer is the ONLY game that keeps drawing me back to it, so that should speak for itself.

Well... he made Freelancer, that's pretty much enough for me.

Did he?

When you go to the Freelancer options you can view the game credits.
    You wont see his name as developer, producer, designer or anyone who actually worked on the game.

At best you can say that he is the founder of the company which developed Freelancer.
    After 3 years of development Chris Roberts couldnt deliver a working game and his company ran out of money.
    In 2001 he eventually sold Digital Anvil to the Microsoft Game Studios. Microsoft removed Chris Roberts from his position and replaced him with Jörg Neumann who in the following two years completely redesigned Freelancer and got the project done.
    The original plans for Freelancer were a point and click space simulation where the Neural-Net was supposed to be some kind of auto pilot and the player only was supposed to tell which maneuvers the ship should do and fire the guns.
    The arcade style Freelancer we know today has not much to do with what Chris Roberts had in mind.
    Some (inactive) code of the old Neural net still can be found in some of the FL files.

I would say that if you like FL then you should thank Jörg Neumann for what he managed to achieved with the mess Chris Roberts tried to do.
    The Freelancer I have installed on my PC wasnt made by Chris Roberts and I am glad about that.

If you wonder why Starcitizen takes so long and is so expensive.... well.... same story as with FL back then.

signew.jpg

Don't discuss with idiots. They only drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience there.

Twenty percent skill,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,

• Hmm, interesting, didn't know that, thanks for clearing it up man.

About Star Citizen, perharps he wants more money haha.

• well, back then when star citizen was announced people said I was pessimistic

signew.jpg

Twenty percent skill,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,

• The problem is roberts focuses on so many small details that the average gamer barely notices, thus finishing the game takes 10 times longer.

also, the price. i rather donate monthly to the cf server (if i had paypal...) than paying 200 dollars for a single ship. that's like GTA V asking me where i have to pay 200 real life dollars for one car. what the fuck man.

star citizen is simply a no-go for me. bloated, too many costs, too long deliver a "full" game (prolly never or in 10 years). a game should deliver lore, online/co-op interaction and a sandbox to play within. boom, that's it.

look at freelancer. we have everything we need here, the only problems being 1: we have no sourcecode 2: outdated engine

• GTA Online car's aren't that expensive. Yeah they get pricey 1-2 million but it's like any other MMO, grind it out or pay to win. The most expensive one is $100 for $8,000,000 in game dollars but they'll have sales up to 33%. spent $60 for the 8m plus another 30%

like Yachts are the most expensive. But i got one on sale as well ($6m vs $10m+) and its the most impulsive i've bought in the game. I have all the warehouses and stuff. Now i'm just waiting for Gunrunning lol

• i rather donate monthly to the cf server (if i had paypal...) than paying 200 dollars for a single ship.

u don't need paypal to donate for CF. check this page pls: link

"There is no connection between truth and politics." Londo Mollari (Centauri Ambassador) londo.jpg

Dark Phoenix Clan introduction: link
    Sigma 17 Rules: link
    DP Recruiting Office: link

Events, Eventmanagers: link
    Event Rules: link

• Hey guys. I'm a newbie. Just keep hearing about this Roberts and an over inflated hype of a game called Star Citizen, and an equally over inflated prices for a few years. But, I haven't seen the actual game being sold in stores. Is this game for real?:rtfm: I hope it isn't a scam. I hope too that Roberts and his team will not pull a magical act like " now you see me, now you don't".:zocken: That would be a shame. :verrueckt: The game video is stunning though.:aok: