Activating Crossfire

There are 9 replies in this Thread. The last Post () by (IOC)Wanderer.

• Hi Guys

Yesterday I got nostalgic again and installed Freelancer. Since I wanted a different experience I decided to download Crossfire. However, I was not able to activate the mod properly.
    First of all I followed all the instructions on the instructions link which was provided in the CF 2.0 file. I even used the FLMM 1.31 which was attached to the CF 2.0 file. However, I only got error messages which said it could not copy some files ("SHCopyFile failed"). After some pondering I found out that me using Windows 7 might cause some problems, so I followed the instructions on the swat-portal site for the x64 workaround (Crossfire 1.9 Windows 7 64 bit Workaround - Technical Problems - SWAT Portal). Though it did not work as well (my Error log: Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet). It is to be noted that the workaround changed the file which caused the error (another file - which does not even exist in the original FL game - caused the problem before the workaround... so I am confused).

I did not play FL at any time, I followed all the instructions by setting up a clean version of it. It would be amazing if you guys could help me out.

Let me know if you need further information.

Best regards

• Hello Wanderer,

Thank you for the swift answer. Unfortunately I think I have a different problem than stated in your link. In my FLMM folder the files do exist and furthermore, I don't have the descriped "_Crossfire20setup.dat" file. I do have the following files in my CF folder (not the FLMM CF folder):

- Crossfire2setup.exe
    - Crossfire2setup-1a.bin
    - Crossfire2setup-1b.bin
    - flmminstaller.exe
    - Installation Instructions.html

Do you think I should put the above mentioned files into the FLMM folder? I am currently downloading the files again ("Crossfire20setup.zip") to see if I have missed something (which I honestly doubt :/ )

Edited once, last by Blaxxun ().

• Sorry, it looks like the new installer version doesn't have that file anymore - I forgot to check it before looking for that report ||
    A common reason for file copy problems is write protection - you need to remove it in folder properties for all directories involved (FL, FLMM, CF installation paths).
    Please see the FAQ page (https://swat-portal.com/forum/index.php/wcf/faq/) for detailed installation instructions, or the extended guide by APE: https://swat-portal.com/forum/…ion-guide-extended/#files (some parts there, like file sizes and checksums, could be outdated)

• Maybe you tried it already, but try to launch FLMM with admin priviledges, then try to activate Crossfire :)
    Also maybe you could try to get another copy of the Original Freelancer....i have a repack for windows 7, works fine with windows 10 x64 also.

PS: I reinstalled CF today, with the basics instructions given in the folder, it went flawlessly without any problems (no original patches installed)...

• Suggestion #1: Check if the problematic file (<FLMM CF folder>\DATA\Movies\cf1.wmv) exists. (If not, then CF didn't install correctly.)
    Suggestion #2: Program Files is one of Windows-protected locations, which may cause problems on some systems; you could try installing to a different location (e.g. C:/Freelancer) and see if that helps. (It did help some people in the past.)
    Suggestion #3: Try activating the mod with intro movies disabled.

• [user][/user]

Suggestion #2: Program Files is one of Windows-protected locations, which may cause problems on some systems; you could try installing to a different location (e.g. C:/Freelancer) and see if that helps. (It did help some people in the past.)

That actually prevented me to launch Crossfire....activation went successfully, but CF did not launch...

Blaxxun PM me if you want to try with another Freelancer copy, i will send you a link then :)

Edited once, last by ExxoRush ().

• So guys it worked, thank you for your help. I think the problem was that I didn't had enough disc space for the subsequent activation (yeah not enough disk space you read this correctly!!!). Since I am using an SDD as primary harddisk it does not have too much space on it. The first tries I just calculated enough space for FL, FLMM and the Installation of CF, but I had not enough space for the activation of CF (I just didn't thought that it would need another 6gb space). ^^

So I am stupid, but I think this was the problem for me :D

Thank you again for your help!!

• Good to know that the solution was so simple :thumbsup:

By the way, I use an SSD and have to save every bit of free space too. Did you know one can use NTFS compression with SSDs without any impact on performance?
    (in contrast to HDDs, where fragmentation of files in a compressed file system causes performance issues)
    Here is more info about it: Freeing Up Capacity On An SSD With NTFS Compression
    However this must be done carefully:
    - important system files (e.g. Windows bootloader) must not be compressed (usually such files are skipped automatically);
    - some programs and games cannot read or write compressed files (I had this problem just once - had to decompress savegame folder for one game to make it work).

Also you can significantly reduce Crossfire's size by removing unnecessary files. When you have installed everything, downloaded the updates and double-checked that everything works, uninstall FLMM and confirm deleting the mods folder (WARNING: the shortcuts added by Crossfire to start menu will stop working!), then search Freelancer directory for files with .flmmbak extension and delete them too.

After doing this and enabling compression, my complete and working CF installation takes only 6.99 GB / 4.73 GB on disk :)