Concept - Magnetic shield protecting/restoring Mars atmosphere

There are 14 replies in this Thread. The last Post () by SWAT_OP-R8R.

• At NASA Planetary Science: Vision 2050 Jim Green, NASA's Planetary Science Division Director presented the idea of
    ""A Future Mars Environment for Science and Exploration," Green discussed launching a "magnetic shield" to a stable orbit between Mars and the sun, called Mars L1, to shield the planet from high-energy solar particles. The shield structure would consist of a large dipole—a closed electric circuit powerful enough to generate an artificial magnetic field."

Watch at NASA Planetary Science: Vision 2050 on Livestream ( 1:36:00 )

CF RP: Probably smuggling something or exploring the universe
    EM char: Event_Manager_Silverfox

9248-cebc88b9.png

• well, that would require alot of energy

signew.jpg

cfmoddblogo.png5904.png5904.png
    http://www.moddb.com/scripts/topsite.php?ts=4766

Only dead fish swim with the stream.
    Don't discuss with idiots. They only drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience there.

This is ten percent luck,
    Twenty percent skill,
    Fifteen percent concentrated power of will,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,
    And a hundred percent reason to remember the name!

• Did they give the value of the magnetic field (emit by the module) ?, how they want to do it (from simple electromagnet version XXXXL or to use a ferromagnetic material also XXXXL)

Because with electromagnets, the energy should be enormous (although possible), with a ferromagnetic material, it is possible that this is not realizable (hard to have a strong magnetic field, constraint of transport, ...)

The electro-magnet is better, if it uses a nuclear reactor, it can be widely envisaged (the electromagnet only needs a high electrical intensity, the problem of resistance is not too problematic to give that the Ambient temperature will be -270 ° C / 0K :)

Dark is my blackness

Edited once, last by [DP] dark68360 ().

• surface temperature vs core temperature of the coil
    you would require a very good material

signew.jpg

Don't discuss with idiots. They only drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience there.

Twenty percent skill,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,

• I am sure that superconductors works great at that temperature.
    And if it's possible to use solar sails (photon sails) as propulsion, it is probably possible to build a photon turbine. Or just use solar panels, there's plenty of space out there.
    The same could be used to deliver power to Earth.

I have absolutely no idea about how much energy is needed for this electro-magnet. Maybe it can be combined with magnetic metals, mined in Kuiber belt :)

9248-cebc88b9.png

• not thrust is needed.... energy is in need
    superconductors as suggested might be an option but usually these operate at temperatures little above the absolute zero.

space however is not cold
    Our moon has no atmosphere and therefore can be considered to be in space.
    The temperatures there get as low as -243 F in shadow.... which is still is a temperature of 120 Kelvin. All known superconductors require temperatures much lower than that.
    And our moon as reference object also reaches a temperature of 253 F in sunlight (thats 395 Kelvin).

So simply putting something in space does not mean that it would automatically work as a superconductor.
    Sunlight around Mars is weaker (decreasing per distance to sun²) but the energy is still strong enough heat up every material in space.

Another problem is that superconductors get influenced by magnetic fields. Most of them lose their superconductive state when magnetic fields get too strong.
    I am no expert on this but when I imagine that we use a superconductor with really high energies to generate an extremely strong magnetic field. And then all of a sudden the magnetic field causes the superconductor to lose its superconducting state the whole device might instantly overheat because of the material resistence at such high energy levels.
    I dont want to be close to Mars when that happens.

signew.jpg

Twenty percent skill,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,

• Temperature is an issue which needs attention by scientists. But we do know that liquid helium/nitrogen are very good at cooling.

About Superconductors we are moving in the right theoretical direction according to:
    Superconductivity and magnetism in harmony - physicsworld.com
    Intertwining of superconductivity and magnetism
    Superconducting magnet - Wikipedia

My points are: Think Big, Start Small - and heading away from Earth :)

9248-cebc88b9.png

• i first thought about a liquid iron core that helps the earth to generate the magnetic field

HO, Does this explain the fact that the eating field is of low power, but of a great distance on earth ??? (Because the field of the earth is 50 micro tesla, but for a very large area, while electro magnets of 10 tesla (1e + 7 micro tesla) are very powerful but do not have a very long range), bizzar ?

Dark is my blackness

• it does not have to be powerful, but it has to be big
    and thats the problem

signew.jpg

Twenty percent skill,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,

• multiple small magnetic generators scattered around to form one big unit, kinda put small ones into a matrix with some distance between each, then the magnetic field just has to be huge enough to fill the gaps.
    Coils do perform better if you put some iron in it, this empowers the magnetic field. Something along this would be my idea :D

signature.png

• Coils do perform better if you put some iron in it, this empowers the magnetic field. Something along this would be my idea :D

An electromagnet is composed of an ENTREFER, and a copper wire winding (a coil), if you feed just one coil, the result will be mediocre, but, with the ENTREFER, which is composed of a ferromagnetic material, Will '' directed '' the magnetic field

entrefer (sorry no traduction) = Increase the reluctance of the magnetic circuit so as to be able to increase the value of the intensity which causes saturation of the magnetic circuit.

this is a true electromagnet :

Files

Dark is my blackness

• the principle is simple
    every conducting material generates a "weak" electro magnetic field around it
    even a simple wire does

a coil is practically just a method to bring alot of conducting material close together which as result increases the magnetic field strength
    a coil without iron creates magnetic fields around the wire (the principle is that magnetic fields always will shape around the direction of the energy flow). this results in many different small magnetic fields in a coil.
    And iron core has as already mentioned ferromagnetic properties which turn the many small magnetic fields into a big magnetic dipolar field.

Nonetheless, all this theory does not help to create a magnetic field strong enough to cover an entire planet.
    We dont have to forget that the magnetic field of earth is a molten iron-nickel core that is powered by more energy mankind ever could produce.

signew.jpg

Twenty percent skill,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,