Cities of the Future

There are 28 replies in this Thread. The last Post () by Huor.

• Why not building such cities on the water. They have direct access to water, our most important resource we humans require. With water we can grow plants which can be used to feed animals. The natural water cycle. On water we also could use waves to produce energy, wind and the sun. It is always good to have more options instead relying on fision or fusion alone. I think of Stargate Atlantis, which in the end had a perfect idea of such a city, but only the energy was a problem. We even could use algeas to produce energy, something that is possible today. With increasing temperatures regardless of global warming or not a city on water must not face sealevel rises or shakes from earthquakes. Many benefits in my eyes.

But if money plays no role the bigger problems very likely will be the social ones. Forming a societywhere everyone is treated in the same manner would last decades.

We then just need to think how we can bring such cities into space, cause in future times earth would be no place to live anylonger. By then humans must have found ways to spread out to the universe.

signature.png

• I think it's most important we start heading for the stars. Even if we build most self-sufficient major metropolitan area, eventually we'll run out of room. Then we'll turn to the Moon. Then we'll run out of room on the Moon. Then Mars. Then Mars declares Independence. Then a war breaks out. Then the plot of The Expanse....

Actually i'd be totally okay with that...

However i think mother nature might not approve if we colonize her vast oceans. Surface dwellings are susceptible to "climate change" even if in an area where the weather is consistently "nice." She tends to surprise you sometimes. It was close to 70 degrees in the middle of January in Colorado and averaged 50-60 in February. That said, Colorado is known for having beautiful spring-like weather one day and then a foot of snow gets dumped on us the next day. It would be wiser to develop the technology to build underwater cities. But be warned, We might accidentally open a rift to another dimension and now the earths Cities gets regularly attacked by giant alien monsters.

Sorry, i'm having fun with the idea of "future" cities. Some thought into unlikely scenarios. To quote a character from The Expanse; Spoilers of Season 2 ahead

• Even if I would leave Earth I always would consider it home.
    And when I return I want to find a cool place there.

A swiming city would be nice but then you need to think about alot of new problems.
    Streams.... you dont want your city to float once around the globe.
    Location... you certainly dont want it to be in the way of whales which then have to swim a different path and die at a nearby coastline.
    how to build such a city and make it float at all... and survive storms etc.

and who removes all the crap that floats in the sea from the city-hull.

signew.jpg

cfmoddblogo.png5904.png5904.png
    http://www.moddb.com/scripts/topsite.php?ts=4766

Only dead fish swim with the stream.
    Don't discuss with idiots. They only drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience there.

This is ten percent luck,
    Twenty percent skill,
    Fifteen percent concentrated power of will,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,
    And a hundred percent reason to remember the name!

• We already am building giant ocean cruisers - very little cities even bigger than some small villages. So the technology is there. Surre problems have to be solved, but that part has to be done no matter what kind of city must be build. But i thought an ocean city would be a nice start. The city gets an anchor which will hold it on position. Its mass should stabilize the whole even so bigger waves should have no real impact on the structure. And as its floating the position can be adjusted as far as this gets necessary.

signature.png

• would you build it as floating island or more as an iceberg which mostly is underwater?

signew.jpg

Don't discuss with idiots. They only drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience there.

Twenty percent skill,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,

• id rather a giant space bubble city :D

oh pardon me squeezing in this thread would yous ?

• currently trying to think about how to balance the center of mass of such a large floating object.

signew.jpg

Twenty percent skill,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,