Wireless Charging: A tech odyssey

There are 5 replies in this Thread. The last Post () by SWAT_OP-R8R.

• I have a Samsung Galaxy S7 and ever since it was bothersome to fiddle around with the micro-USB charging cable.
    I still dont understand why they didnt put a Type C USB port on that mobile phone but ok.

Everytime I wanted to charge it either in officer or at home I had to use that original cable and carry it from A to B. And everytime I wanted to use the phone as storage device I had to unplug the wall adapter.
    Yes, your impression is right. I am a lazy person.

The week before Xmas I decided to search for an alternative and ordered a Wireless charing station EP-NG930. Relative cheap offer on Ebay.
    Yes.
    You can argue about the sense and non-sense of using wireless chargers.
    They are never as effective as cable chargers since the inducted energy has to pass multiple layers of plastic, glass and whatever material your case is made of.
    This inefficience causes heat and good chargers even have a build in fan for cooling.

Ok my charger arrived two days prior new year and due to all the renovation stuff I was doing I got the chance to test this device on 2nd January.
    To my surprise it didnt charge.
    Ive tried to reposition it without success.
    Ive removed my case (a leather wallet) and all of sudden it did charge.

Now my odyssey started.
    That was an inacceptable condition. To remove the wallet for charging is even more bothersome as pluging a cable in.
    The internet, which usually is a good source of information is like a black hole on this topic. People know it exists but nobody really knows how its working.
    Hundreds of pages with speculations, threads which tell that chargers wont work with cases, other threads which tell that they work even with thick cases because of the QI standards.

I started to search for the type of charger that I had at hands and also started to search for the serial number.
    Well, Samsung and most Android forums flag this serial number as a fake device.
    Ok, I guess if you buy something cheap you get something cheap.

Now I got interested in this matter.
    Are other chargers better or different.
    Thats really hard to tell.
    On the internet you cant get any objective information about this topic.
    The QI standards tell which specifications a charger should have and the distance it should start charging is also pretty comfortable (considering the official standards).
    Unfortunatly the manufacturers (nearly no manufacturer) publishes anything about what the charger can do.
    Not the QI version, not the charging distance in mm, nothing about how good it can charge at all.
    Like I said... a black hole.

Last week I decided to try a different charger from a different manufacturer (actually I have no idea who manufactured my faked EP-NG930 ;) ) so I went to the local MediaMarkt (I guess every european knows these stores) and bought an average priced charger for testing purposes.
    At home I plugged it in... and It was charging... at least for 10 seconds then the charging stopped.
    I tried it multiple times... and the charging always stopped after a few seconds.
    Without my wallet case it btw. charged without any problems.

Lesson learned.
    Charging works but case thickness is really a problem for chargers.

Today I wrote a long mail to the seller from which I got the faked Samsung charger, explaining that the sold device is not an original one, that the serial number is flagged as a fake, that the device most likely isnt even supporting current standards and that the Samsung quick manual that came with the faked charger is a copyright violation as it clearly claims that this is a Samsung product (and not just a replica).
    It didnt even take 5 minutes until I got an apologize, a refund via paypal and the money to cover the costs to send the faked product back.
    The seller gets a positive rating from me.

The charger is meanwhile on the way back to the seller.
    And while I was already dealing with that kind of stuff I took the other charger back to the MediaMarkt. I explained that I want to give it back and asked the salesman, if I could test a few devices in the shop in order to check if they are working any better.
    This clearly speeded up my testing procedure as the salesman opened all the different packages and multiple deviced could be tested.

In the end the original Samsung EP-NG930 was a working one, even with this thick case.
    Twice as expensive as my faked version but thats not the point... its working.

My advice... dont buy such products online, especially if they appear cheaper than normal.
    Compare the serial numbers if you are not sure about your device.
    And if you are absolutely not sure then ask a salesman at a shop if you can test the devices with your phone (if neccessary all of them).

signew.jpg

cfmoddblogo.png5904.png5904.png
    http://www.moddb.com/scripts/topsite.php?ts=4766

Only dead fish swim with the stream.
    Don't discuss with idiots. They only drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience there.

This is ten percent luck,
    Twenty percent skill,
    Fifteen percent concentrated power of will,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,
    And a hundred percent reason to remember the name!

• Also have a Galaxy S7 and am using a plastic transparent case to protect it from damages. Ordered an wireless charger from Anker (link). It is working pretty well with the restriction you posted above. But as i am usually loading it overnight while sleeping it does its job during that time and suits my needs.

In the describtion it is told that the loading capability heavily depends on the cases and covers you put around your device. For me its working as the cover is thin and just simple plastic. But it is quite understandable that wireless charging surely depends on the distance between the source and the target.

signature.png

• the leather wallet I have has a silicon inlay and since its real leather its relative thick
    there is 4mm material beween charger and phone

I guess thats a challenge for most of the cheap chargers

Samsung has multiple cheaper chargers (also for fast charge) but they are a bit smaller so the induction coil is also smaller
    Im not 100% sure if that makes a difference on the charging distance or if this just has influence on sweet spot for charging

signew.jpg

Don't discuss with idiots. They only drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience there.

Twenty percent skill,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,

• That's really good experience, thx for sharing! ... and honestly I was rly surprised with sellers reactions, with this said ... I wish that in my country sellers learns such moral, I would bet that today in 9/10 cases I would have huge issues get my moneys back.

• well the reaction wasnt such a surprise to me
    its illegal to sell products which are 1:1 copies or make falsely use of trademarks or company names

Ive not blamed the seller on this violation... it is possible that the seller didnt know about it.
    To get the issue resolved fast and without complications was pretty much in the interest of the shop.
    The sellers fast reaction was no surprise but it was welcome.

signew.jpg

Twenty percent skill,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,