First encounter? - !CONFIRMED!

There are 10 replies in this Thread. The last Post () by Portalearth.

• ... this looks really good :) ... and it also do not look like a fake .. curious times in ED ahead :) ... maybe accidentally released? :D . This initial situation looks exactly the same way like was disabling ships systems after scanning (ecm?) unknown artefact.

Use F5 if it loads page for a long time ... hype coming :)

Edit by
    Previous video:

• Contact confirmed (officially): https://twitter.com/EliteDangerous

(I've added one more video above in link)

• [heading]Personal experience[/heading] Finally was able get my own "first encounter" ... on "live" it was much better :) (give sound on max)

• has that thing just formed a black hole?

signew.jpg

cfmoddblogo.png5904.png5904.png
    http://www.moddb.com/scripts/topsite.php?ts=4766

Only dead fish swim with the stream.
    Don't discuss with idiots. They only drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience there.

This is ten percent luck,
    Twenty percent skill,
    Fifteen percent concentrated power of will,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,
    And a hundred percent reason to remember the name!

• its possible to hear sounds in space
    electro-magnetic waves could cause a resonance on the ship hull which you could hear in the cockpit

also explosions of ships could in theory cause sound that you can hear

I just assume that an electro-magnetic wave that is strong enough for that would kill you before you hear the first rumbling.

BUT!!!!
    maybe there is just a weak electro-magnetic wave which hits a detector on the ship and then gets re-emitted by the high-end sound system of the ship.....
    the ship has speakers right?

signew.jpg

Don't discuss with idiots. They only drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience there.

Twenty percent skill,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,

• not to get into quantum physics or anything but Space is a vacuum last i checked. Haven't you seen Gravity? No doubt that debris hit something that was flammable and in atmospheric conditions, would generate an explosion, smoke, fire etc.

But due to space being a vacuum n all, an "explosion" would be as if you took away the smoke and fire and saw just the debris flying in every direction, doomed to travel for eternity at high velocity. Who knows? Maybe the debris from blow up a ship will reach an alien astronaut doing an EVA spacewalk thousands of years later and rips through his space suit and kills him?

I think i saw a documentary on space weapons once. They focused more on laser weaponry and magnetically accelerated projectiles (Rail guns or Halo's MAC Cannon) Then they talked about anti-matter bombs and their destructive capabilities.

Might get this game on the next Steam sale

• has that thing just formed a black hole?

Seems so. :) ... quite a lot discussions and different "testing" is going on. Yesterday was also released new patch (2.2.03) which have more interesting things in it.

• I disagree that you wont see fire on explosions.
    It depends highly on what explodes.
    Exploding gas will cause a fire, even in space since there is a matter which can burn.
    Same for decompression explosions because then the oxigen would burn.
    The flames would look different then those on earth due to 0-gravity but there would be flames. Most likely it would look like a plasma ball.

signew.jpg

Twenty percent skill,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,

• notes: The experiments described in the video were in a super controlled enviornment, let alone a pressurized one with pure oxygen (vs the polluted nitrogen-carbon mix we breath). Fire + Pure o2 = bad.

If there was a rapid decompression event such as a large projectile breaching the hull, there would a small window of a time a fire explosion could happen, but as the VACUUM OF SPACE rips apart the hull and sucks everything into the vastness of the big empty, anything that could cause combustion would ultimately be sucked into space. A fire would not last very long during rapid decompression.

Now for sound, you might hear your last remain gasps at attempts to swallow oxygen as your begin your eternal journal through the vastness of the universe, possibly turning up thousands or millions of years later at an alien civilization. That is, if you didn't die in the explosion...

Hull might be glowing hot after a major hull breach but the cold temperatures of space extinguish it