Disrespectful play

There are 13 replies in this Thread. The last Post () by dented_ship.

• For the second time within a week I, playing as Sabzi_Mandi farming with my freighter, have been the subject of a bounty posted by a player with whom I have had no previous contact. It's very irritating. My conduct on the server has been guided by the excellent examples set by Dented, Boks and others. Consequently, I have coached, shared and partnered with less experienced players to see that if their goals are not met, they understand how to achieve them. I treat players I encounter with the same respect with which I would wish they treat me. As a licensed smuggler unaffiliated with any clan, I understand that I am at the bottom of the food chain and I accept that I may be taxed or robbed at any moment by another player or an NPC. But bounties, from what I've read, are the appropriate recompense when a clan/player slighted by another player. I accept the acts of piracy, taxation, even competition among smugglers are customary but nowhere have I read that bounties are posted for the amusement of others.

In both cases; Meranti dba |AS|Liberator posted the bounties and |DP|Avenger dba |DP|Lucifer came to collect them. In the first instance, Avenger took a more junior player I'd been helping, hostage (threatening Bob_the_dwarf with death if he moved) until I showed up. I did; I fought back as best I could in my freighter and died predictably. This evening I was minding my own business, fighting off NPC's while trying to farm Breton space, when Pinkie_fighter logged in. I greeted her and she responded in kind. Then we were informed on screen that |AS|Liberator had placed a bounty on each of us. |DP|Lucifer killed Pinkie_fighter and then he contacted me suggesting that I make it easy and come to him. Recognizing the pattern from the other night, I mentioned his hostage taking and Avenger/Lucifer admitted that it was he. He later admitted that Meranti was the player who posted the bounty. Long story short; Meranti killed me in Tau-31 and collected $10,000,000 for his part in my death.

I don't like that my character's death is serving as some sort of amusement for the idle rich in the game but what can I do. I don't suppose we freighter drivers could get shields higher than level 7, could we... SWAT_Op-R8R?

• As a mercenary I believe, a mercenary will do whatever he needs to obtain his bounty. Whether it is to use a hostage to get a person with the bounty to come out in the open. Also a Mercenary will do whatever he must to secure a bounty (Read in Rules.) Btw I told Mr Bob_The_Dwarf he was going to my hostage, and he simply said "Ok". I apologized to Bob_The_Dwarf for potshotting Tntpas1912 for not knowing about his inability to speak English. Upon which I let him go and moved onto Dwarf.

A shield is available for freighter use (Sup.Aegis Freighter Shield) However that is available to Clan's and people permitted by clans.

Btw, your death is no amusement, a bounty is a bounty. If Meranti had a bounty, I'd have killed him too. If you have no bounty, I'd have only killed you, with your permission. (IE: Pvp in Arena.) I tried to kill you and killed Pinkie fighter for the credits linked in by [AS]Liberator's Bounty.

All in all, if you feel your death's (x2) was disrespectful, I assure you, it wasn't in my best interest, that juicy bounty on your head was in my best interest :D

If what I did as wrong (Which what I sincerely doubt), then I sincerely apologise, but I believe I have done nothing wrong here.

L+ Ratio

Edited 2 times, last by LordRaydenMK ().

• first of all, a bounty can be placed on everyone from everyone in every moment. the only exception: players below level 40 shall not be bountied.

but i can understand u, that u dont like to be the bountyhead all the time. but, u can also place a bounty on the one who placed a bounty on u ;)

between the 2 bounties placed on u there should be a timelimit of 2 hours, afair.

one hint: take it as a challenge. dont fight back, but try to hide from the merc. u can improve ur navigation skills too. this btw is one of the most important skills for smugglers ;)

"There is no connection between truth and politics." Londo Mollari (Centauri Ambassador) londo.jpg

Dark Phoenix Clan introduction: link
    Sigma 17 Rules: link
    DP Recruiting Office: link

Events, Eventmanagers: link
    Event Rules: link

• I find something interesting in OP. I maybe can be good remind some main limitations to bounties usage:

Quote from Server rules

Mercenaries are not allowed to collect bounties set by them or their clan; you cannot place a bounty on a player to give yourself an excuse to attack them

If the same player set a bounty and then collect it with his another char, then he act against server rules, this matter is forwarded to GRs for investigate.

@Mesachie Man
    Regarding mercenaries going collect bounties on non-criminal pilot: it is considered as illegal act and such mercenary can be chased fined and killed by officers. I will look if can help little here.
    And denne hint is correct, if bountied, adjust your plans and flee from potential hunters. CF offers more as only "static" gameplay and if you want avoid being killed, you need to learn when is a time to change/modify your original plans.

• under investigation by the GRs.

I find something interesting in OP.

take your dirty hands out of me! ;)

signew.jpg

cfmoddblogo.png5904.png5904.png
    http://www.moddb.com/scripts/topsite.php?ts=4766

Only dead fish swim with the stream.
    Don't discuss with idiots. They only drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience there.

This is ten percent luck,
    Twenty percent skill,
    Fifteen percent concentrated power of will,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,
    And a hundred percent reason to remember the name!

• Best advice I can give there MM is for you to place a bounty on Meranti and Avenger yourself. I am sure there will be a merc who will hunt them down for their bounties :D Please dont be discouraged by this, AS appear every so often and place bounties on pretty much everyone who is online then disappear as quickly as they appeared. This bounty was not targeted at you, but anyone who happened to be on at the time. I dont think Meranti and |AS|Liberator are the same person. Meranti was the one who posted the first bounty on you.

• under investigation by the GRs.

take your dirty hands out of me! ;)

ROFL :D ... I should know better :D .. "OP" used regular expression for "Original Post" or poster at ED forums ;)

• Thank you LordRaydenMK, MartindForlon, Dented, Denne and Portalearth;

I appreciate your input, suggestions and support. I will adjust my game-play accordingly. For the record I have read the server rules, twice in fact, and will no doubt read them many more times before the server goes offline. Sometime between now and then they may be memorized, but for now they are reference material. I look forward to observing what a Galaxy Ranger investigation entails.

I tried to make it to Sol but got killed by an NPC at the far end of Hyperion which spawned me back in Edinburgh. Low on bots, batteries and countermeasures, I headed for Planet Harris to replenish my stores when I met up with Meranti.

Next time I will try to be more inventive. MM

• ... For the record I have read the server rules, twice in fact, and will no doubt read them many more times before the server goes offline. Sometime between now and then they may be memorized, but for now they are reference material. ...

There is difference between read rules and understand them. They are not difficult, but learn how to apply them and what to expect in space needs gaming experience. You did the best what you could, you had doubts/problem, you asked here. If this do everyone on server, we had there much more fun and maybe more ppl too.

• Also possible to hire mercenaries to protect you.
    If you notice a merc following you, put a bounty on them too.
    If Cops are near ask for protection (have BMG in cargo for the challenge) or move into their system (illegal acts are announced in systems).
    Personally I allways put a 6.666.666 mill bounty on |AS|... in returning the favor.
    Now there's RP Action :)

CF RP: Probably smuggling something or exploring the universe
    EM char: Event_Manager_Silverfox

9248-cebc88b9.png