RP-motivated events

There are 7 replies in this Thread. The last Post () by Portalearth.

• Would you like to see an RP-based event? 11

1. Yes (9) 82%
    2. No (1) 9%
    3. Tax or Die (1) 9%
    4. Leave me alone, I need to make credits (0) 0%

So the only time i've seen Crossfire get "busy" is when Events were happening. That's great! but within an hour of the event ending the entire server is a ghost town.

So what if we made some RP based events?

How would that work you might ask? Well instead of two random teams performing a task, the teams are divided by RP. In essence, 4 teams. Each would have a task that would effectively interfere with another teams objectives.

For example, Lets say the region of play is Liberty. The goal would be the Smuggler team has to deliver BMGs from point A to Point B. They have to avoid Police, pirates and mercenaries. One way or another, The police would end up battling pirates because that's just how it is and smugglers and BHs would walk out rich.

However the RP is ultimately limited to your imagination and the RP rules would be somewhat relaxed to create a more realistic feel. Current server rules prohibit pirates (or anybody) from opening fire on another ship that hasn't one way or another consented to the possibility of being blown up. With this RP Event, Pirates would be able to ambush a smuggler convoy without demanding a tax. Police could be authorized to use lethal force on a down and out bounty hunter who's high on cardamine and ready to self destruct his ship in a populated area. the relaxed server rules (during the duration of the event) would only apply to the sector in which was being used for the event

The reason I think it might be good to have an RP based event once a week because then it would show new players or players who just come for the TDM events what else Crossfire has to offer. Each week can be a different scenario in a different Sector. I say make it an event because there usually isn't enough players who understand Crossfire enough that it isn't Discovery to know that it's an RP server and you can't avoid it (unless in approved areas). I Remember when SFP went corrupt and cause everyone headaches....that might have just been Gunny causing drama but thats not the point, lol.

I would be so down to be the one to organize, plan and manage these kinds of events but only if there is enough interest.

• We had such events and they were quite allot of fun :) . Issue with making these events is, that you will have problem get there players which do not know how RP works ... I'm some longer time off the server but imo this is how things are. Maybe thing which can work is announce and support some "real" RP action like... "Attention, there is smuggler going to that destination" or in that system is pirate blockading base and removing him will be awarded with a bonus etc. You need for this only one pilot which will do his chosen role and rest will be on server players. Make temporary point of public interest and try motivate players go for it ... on one server based games, like CF is, it can work.

I've moved thread and made it sticky

• In my opinion, the server needs more "normal" events in the first place. They are easy to explain to new players, and are still attractive to everyone.
    When the population is high enough, "RP events" like you described will occur in a natural order.

• I Like all the Options Put Forward, any Type of Involving New Players Is GOOD!!!

:salutes Fools Rush In Where Angels Fear To Tread :patsch: :salutes
    :salutes A Fool and Their Credits are Easily Parted :D
    :salutes Softly, Softly, Catchy Freelancer :P :salutes
    :salutes SMILE :) It Breaks up the Time Between Disasters :thumbsup:
    :salutes I can Only Please one Person Per Day.Today is Not Your Day And Tomorrow does Not Look Good Either :thumbdown: :salutes

• Ultimately RP should happen all the time. But Attack/Defend Style events can have an RP twist to it. Pirates must protect a smuggler from The police. or the Police must transport a pirate prisoner to a given location and Mercenaries have to spring the pirate prisoner (or the mercs don't get paid)

Freelancers can be just that. Freelancers. They can be assigned a role or they can pick one pending balance of teams. All it takes is a little coordination from Clan Leaders.

Look, We won't get conquest full activated until we can show OP and Huor that their work is not wasted. Bases can be used for these RP related events even though we don't have conquest fully activated. Who knows? Say we get 20 more regulars on the server and the admins may be more motivated to install conquest. Bases don't mean anything when your clan has two people. I'm not planning to waste my money that I've invested.

What if someone streamed CF Multiplayer gameplay on twitch or something then share the link on social media? Yes, it's a old ass game but we gotta show that the three most active communities still have something to offer. The Key is to put SWAT's name out there. This has boards for Elite Dangerous and other space sims. Why not advertise (as in post threads) on Steam boards "hey, we got a kick-ass space sim website you can check out." It's possible we can attract people to Freelancer who want a break from the current next-gen space sims

• i have been reading these post with interest and like to add my view. firstly my main effort has been in new york with the key factor of this mod and game. NEW PLAYERS.
    there has been a steady flow of them of new players but 3/4 don,t return. why and mentioned in the past to difficult in starting off. continously i,m asked what do we do here to raise sufficent money to advance. one player stunned me in asking. i,m new here how do i join a clan. advice to help them would then be given. not $$$$ so they miss the point of the game.
    portal earth quoted that r/p happens here all the time and he is correct. i have seen recently event managers announcing there events are about to start and no one is on or 1-2 players are on but no where near the event system.
    also not forgetting the many different time zones comes in to account too. and more importantly there is a wide field of reasons why players play here.
    i respect that event managers have a tough time now organizing events now due to less and less players on here now.
    also noticing now that the dashboard has e.d notices covering it in big and bold which catches people eyes in advertising it. and very little else.
    remember just my view and respect others have different point of view. c/f needs more players before you can run events.
    :thankyou:

• Ok... This may Be a Small Ray of Hope Maybe? This new Player is Trying 2 get his Mates Into the Mod...

Files

• screen822.BMP

(2.78 MB, downloaded 13 times, last: )
    • screen823.BMP

(2.62 MB, downloaded 9 times, last: )

:salutes Fools Rush In Where Angels Fear To Tread :patsch: :salutes
    :salutes A Fool and Their Credits are Easily Parted :D
    :salutes Softly, Softly, Catchy Freelancer :P :salutes
    :salutes SMILE :) It Breaks up the Time Between Disasters :thumbsup:
    :salutes I can Only Please one Person Per Day.Today is Not Your Day And Tomorrow does Not Look Good Either :thumbdown: :salutes

Edited once, last by |TSH| ***Tribbs*** ().

• Edit by Forlon
    ... FL is still not free game, we cant give here links to 'sources', its one from core portal rules.