Games you are playing or enjoyed playing lately (except FL/CF)

There are 286 replies in this Thread. The last Post () by Ajay.

• So here where i'm spending my online time mostly:

Home :: Squad Frontlines

Squad combines the tactical gameplay of Arma with the fast paced action of Battlefield or say an older game, Joint Operations. About $40 on Steam. There is a lot more content to be added to the game such as APCs, Tanks, Helicopters and Jets. But for now, it's Infantry with Humvees, Technicals and one side gets BTRs. The developers are going to be adding Strykers soon enough so it doesn't take coordinated attacks from 2 or 3 CROW Mounted .50 cal guns. Really fun when you play with a few serious players. In this Tournament, I'm a Captain in charge of a company. Captain Krate they call me!

Otherwise, my time and literally my money is going to this place: Denver Paintball - Indoor & Outdoor Paintball fields in CO
    I should be proud that i can afford to the money to play and buy my own gear. Not many people my age can do it.

• Recently I've been replaying Supreme Commander Forged Alliance, skirmish and replaying SP campaign on Hard.
    More detailed gameplay information (or a review of sorts) moved under spoiler.

WARNING: WALL OF TEXT HEAVY.
    [spoiler]
    Supreme Commander is an RTS and Forged Alliance is a standalone expansion pack for it.
    The most notable thing of SupCom is Strategic View. You can zoom the main view out to observe the entire map, and then zoom in to see the smug face of your Armored Command Unit.

Build system
    SupCom is considered to be a Spiritual Successor of sorts to Total Annihilation and utilizes similar build system: at the start, you get an ACU, Armored Command Unit. It can construct (3D-print, basically) some T1 buildings, such as factories (Land, Air, Naval), mass extractors (built only on mass deposits) and power generators. To assist ACU in base building or expansion, any factory can build Engineers, amphibious vehicles that can construct buildings of its tech level. In addition, support ACUs can be summoned via T3 Quantum Gate. Builders can also assist buildings (or other units, e.g. T3 Strategic Missile Sub or T3 Carrier) in building or upgrading.

Tech levels
    Three of them, T1, T2 and T3. Experimentals are sort of their own level, but can be built by any T3 builder. Factories can be upgraded to the next level, ACU can be upgraded to construct T2 and later T3 buildings via customization tab.

Intelligence systems
    Units' vision range is smaller than their fire range in nearly all causes, especially in the case of artillery and anti-air. However, the visual detection isn't the only way to spot the target - in most cases they will fire at radar blips. Radar and sonar detection is provided by special structures and some units (T1 Scout, T1 Frigate and T1 Air Scout, for example). There are ways to counter it - jamming creates fake radar blips and stealth (personal or field) hides units from radar. The optical cloaking is also present. These electronic warfare measures, however, are likewise countered by Omni Sensors, provided by T3 radar station.
    Radar can tell apart buildings, land units, aircraft and ships. SupCom also "remembers" location of buildings even if you lose radar/optical sight to them.

Units
    Come in various flavors: land units, planes, low-flying aircraft (gunships and transports, essentially helicopters), surface ships and submarines. Submarines are safe from most surface weapons, so are planes and gunships.
    Aircraft are notable in that they have a fuel meter. If it runs out the aircraft will notably slow down. If it's on patrol it will automatically head off to land on nearest free airpad (available as T2 building). Airpads swiftly refuel and repair planes landing on them.
    Transports can move only land units and (s)ACUs. They can be set to assist the factory; they will carry produced units to factory's rally point. Also transports can be set up to ferry units, useful for relocating a group of units in more than one run.
    Experimental units are your Wonder Weapons. They are expensive, but very powerful, and some of them are game-enders of sorts.

Weapon systems
    Some nuances are here too. For example, torpedoes can't be used against hover units but are only thing that can hit submarines. Direct fire guns can be messed up by line of fire obstruction. Tactical missiles can be intercepted by tactical missile defense buildings or units (such as T2 Cruiser). Anti-air can be provided by light AA guns, area-of-effect flak cannons or tracking and homing SAMs. Damage can be stopped by shield dome generators, which will be handy to defend a base from T3 Heavy Artillery (VERY long range, think Paris guns and you won't be far off).
    Nukes don't care about shields. But they are manually built, take lots of resources and time, and can be stopped by strategic missile defense. But if they land they can be quite powerful.

Economy
    Two types of resources are used, Mass and Energy. Mass is typically used for construction, Energy - also for various other needs such as radar, counter-intelligence, shields, artillery reloading, etc. The game has a real-time economy system.
    Also the game has an adjacency bonus: building resource-producing buildings next to resource-consuming one will decrease the consumption of that resource (e.g. surrounding a Mass Fabricator or a Shield Generator with Power Generators will decrease their energy drain), while building a resource-storing building next to resource-producing one will increase the income (e.g. surrounding a Mass Extractor with Mass Storages).
    (While this is effective, Power generators can explode upon destruction, so it's risky to some degree).

Factions
    I think Mike has stack buffer overflow at this point.
    UEF
    Or United Earth Federation. No-frills Powerhouse faction. Great direct-fire guns and artillery, good armor, average shields. Proud owners of T3 Point Defense emplacements and T2 shield boats as well as the longest ranged T3 battleship. However they lack a T3 Carrier.
    Experimentals:
    -Fatboy: THE Military Mashup Mashine, this is a factory on threads with some machine guns and four battleship turrets, shield dome, basic AA, torps (for when it gets underwater) and airpad.
    -Atlantis: A submersible carrier with SAMs to use from surface and torps.
    -Mavor: An artillery gun with unlimited range.
    -Novax Center: A control center for a Kill Sat that can pwn stuff from above safe from retaliation as long as center isn't destroyed.

Cybran Nation
    Cheesy gimmicks, cheesy gimmicks everywhere! Enjoy moar dakka and like fast units, maybe that's why they prefer red. However that's where their Orkiness ends - the Cybran Nation is Subversive to no end. They don't tend to hit that hard, their artillery is inaccurate (but with bigger AoE), their shields are weakest and they lack mobile shields. However, they have a lot of radar stealth - they have mobile stealth field and counter-intelligence boats, not to mention personal stealth on their T3 fighters and bombers. The stuff of nightmares, however, is stealthed, cloaked Cybran ACU with a HEAVY MICROWAVE LASER. Aside from that, Cybrans tend to put non-stealthy gimmicks on their units too: torpedoes on a battleship and a strategic missile sub, airpads on cruisers, repair suite on T1 assault bot... the most glaring stuff are tactical redirection (returns tac missiles back to sender, this is why you don't use UEF ACU's backpack nuke against Cybran army) on T3 siege assault bots and, of course, their T2 Destroyers that grow legs to walk on land.
    Experimentals.
    -Monkeylord - A cheapest experimental, that doesn't stop this spider-like six-legged walker from eating entire low-level armies with its heavy microwave lazzor or just crushing them. Also has a couple of longer-ranged guns, some SAMs, shitty torps and radar stealth.
    -Megalith - Bigger, four-legged walker armed with two pairs of giant guns, single flak cannon, more or less good torps and ability to build some units.
    -Soul Ripper - A giant flying bug with tons of guns and rockets, plus some AA missiles. Quite slow though, but can eat hordes of non-experimental land units.
    -Scathis - Basically self-propelled gatling artillery. Only land-based non-amphibious experimental, but it matters little since FA made its range unlimited (in MP and skirmish). Eats lots of energy though.

Aeon Illuminate
    The Glass Cannons. They hit hard and fast, but aren't best at taking it back. Lots of hover units. Also tend to keep minimalistic loadout of units, nearly no gimmicks in contrast with Cybran. Also they have five experimentals in FA, but one of them is misclassified as T3 - the Heavy Rapid-Fire Artillery. Nonetheless that thing costs more than some experimentals. Quite a lot of their usual units are also powerful, such as T3 AA Gunship, T3 Missile Ship (to balance out the smallest range of their battleship) and T3 Torpedo Bomber.
    Experimentals
    -Galactic Colossus - a giant mecha with a huge eye laser (less DPS than Heavy Microwave Laser for some reason), two tractor claws and 99999 HP. And that's all.
    -Czar - a flying saucer a la independence Day. Aside from giant laser in the bottom has AA missiles, flak cannons, depth charges. It is also a carrier. If it goes down nearly anything under it is flakked.
    -Tempest - Another saucer, this time seaborne. Has lots of torps, giant cannon and can build T1-T2 ships and T3 Engies.
    -Paragon - A building that can ensure you'll always have enough mass and energy. Literally, forget about economy, you have all the resources, ALL OF THEM. However, when it goes down, it goes down with a bang equal to that of a nuke, and it's not that resilient. Are ya feelin' lucky?

Seraphim
    These guys are aliens and it shows. They don't have SAMs (use fast-tracking long-ranged guns instead, T2 Cruiser also has flak cannons), rolled T1 Scout and T1 Light Assault Bot into one unit, lack T3 Missile Sub (T3 Battleship builds/launches nukes and T3 carrier has tactical missiles), their T2 Destroyers can submerge... Similarly to Aeon, they have lots of hover units. They are gimmicky, but not much, so they appear to be Balanced between the three factions. Also, best shields in the game.
    Experimentals:
    -Ythotha: Exp. Assault Bot - A giant walker similar to Colossus. Less HP, but more guns, some of which are AA. Upon destruction releases some uncontrollable entity that attacks random places for some time, then expires.
    -Ashwassa: Exp. Bomber - A giant plane that drops a high-yield bomb, also has some AA.
    -Yolona Oss: Exp. Strategic Missile Launcher - A giant missile silo that launches a giant nuke. Said nuke has bigger AoE and damage and takes two SMD hits to stop.

"Across the savage skies and through the fissures in the fields,
    The rumble of the engines and the trundle of the wheels,
    Through hell and horror trudge and yet their spirits never yield.
    Will they sing of these forsaken pawns of war?"
    -Miracle Of Sound, "Pawns of War".

• Start making reviews of games, storylines n stuff... that way you will even get some money which in russia is quite valuable.

Chars: [CFPD]Michael~something (x25), [CFPD]~SQMS~{[(store)]} (x3), [CFPD]xfer, Event~Manager~Michael, StarfIier~EM~Michael, Event_Team_2, [GR]Michael[SP] and a blueprint of [CFPD]Sephirothis

• I ban Michael 'cos, if you'd read it you'd understand that I'm not that good at writing reviews.
    First, I used non-formal language.
    Second, in faction overview I was biased towards Cybran.

• Overviews and reviews are not ment to be unbiased or objective, there's wiki and enough "data" thats objective, reviews are ment to show your own opinion n like/dislike at them so you are doing just fine xD

Chars: [CFPD]Michael~something (x25), [CFPD]~SQMS~{[(store)]} (x3), [CFPD]xfer, Event~Manager~Michael, StarfIier~EM~Michael, Event_Team_2, [GR]Michael[SP] and a blueprint of [CFPD]Sephirothis

• lol, I didn't even notice I used the phrase "I ban you", must be an automated response lol.
    Anyway, I like to write stuff about games, and mostly tend to do so in a humorous way. Probably an addiction to writing stuff overall.

• Got out of that tournament i was doing. Wasn't having any fun dying and playing on a team that didn't have their shit together.

I have been playing a game called "The Turing Test"

To summarize
    It is about a scientist who was woken early from a cryosleep in a station above Europa and was tasked by an AI who oversaw the construction of said space station and the base on the surface of Europa to investigate why the ground team had mysteriously gone silent. Upon arrival you discover that the base had been designed as a series of puzzles that only a human can solve, known as a Turing Test.

A Turing Test is "a test for intelligence in a computer, requiring that a human being should be unable to distinguish the machine from another human being by using the replies to questions put to both."

Essentially, it's Portal meets a CAPTCHA Verification. A thing I like about The Turing Test is that there are no time constraints on the puzzles. You can take as long as you need. And some of the puzzles are pretty hard, requiring the player to "think outside the box." Some of them require you to stop what you are doing, step back, and methodically think out the puzzle, before doing any action. Other force you to look around a little harder to find the right trigger to open a door or activate an electromagnet (took me 30 minutes to figure that out on one puzzle).

Storywise, without going into much detail, Would make for an excellent James Cameron or J.J. Abrams flick. The soundtrack is fitting for an "AI Gone Rogue" thematic element. There are carefully placed plot twists that really do make the game more interesting and gets you more focused on the next puzzle just to hear what comes next in this dastardly plot!

And with roughly 7 puzzles to go (out of 60+), my brain is pretty busted with this game 5 hours into it. So instead, i further my character story arch in Skyrim. Skyrim is the only game i can truly relax while playing. Battlefield, Squad, Arma and a mess others just end up stressing me out.

yeah 60+ levels requiring varying degrees of critical thinking might just make me a smartypants

• Reminds me of Event [0] game, you are lost in space then old outdated cruise ship comes by which seems like only the AI is left in it. Then things get weird, and many puzzles ment to be only solvable by human brain and not the AI on the ship, by the people who lived there, before things went too wrong.

• interesting story, graphics are ok for game of its age. i actually play this:

i bought this game 7 years ago, tried once to play it and immediately lost fun in the first mission. i try it again now (mission 3 now :thumbsup: ). one of the things i like most is the story, it has to do with the origins of the Borg. i already had a theory about their origins and the funny thing is, this game seems to confirm it.

"There is no connection between truth and politics." Londo Mollari (Centauri Ambassador) londo.jpg

Dark Phoenix Clan introduction: link
    Sigma 17 Rules: link
    DP Recruiting Office: link

Events, Eventmanagers: link
    Event Rules: link

• Yeah they worked more on storyline and background in past when graphics were limited, now they put fancy shooting but u dont even know why you're shooting xD

• Yeah they worked more on storyline and background in past when graphics were limited, now they put fancy shooting but u dont even know why you're shooting xD

uhm, is there an actual Star Trek game with "fancy shooting"? imo most of the Star Trek games were made to make players bored and mad about the game itself. the gameplay was mostly crap. just think about Starfleet Acadamy. who the heck is understanding and using the counter-counter-electronic warfare stuff? lol, i even bought the Star Trek 25th Anniversary and never came to another than the first planet (a pity, i know, but klick-klick-adventures like Monkey Island were never my taste). i expected a lot from Star Trek Generations, but guess what, it never worked on any of my computers or operating systems (i tried all from Win95 to WinXP). many of the old Star Trek games didnt even have good stories or were simply not logical (like the Star Trek Armata series). the best Star Trek games were imo the two Elite Force shooters. ok, maybe i simply like the genre. but their stories were even good. and Bridge Commander was ok, but not more, just ok. the story of Star Trek Away Team was very interesting and many good ideas were introduced (like transportable transporters). but again, the gameplay was crap. anyway, i recently wanted to play it again, but Win10 is not compatible with this game. so i set up a virtual machine, installed WinXP and it ran, with an incredible resolution but not with the size of the screen, no with the size of the resolution (means appr. 15 × 20 cm on my screen).

well, many Star Trek games there are, but only very few of them made a lasting impression. i really hope they will publish a third part of the Elite Force.

"There is no connection between truth and politics." Londo Mollari (Centauri Ambassador) londo.jpg

Dark Phoenix Clan introduction: link
    Sigma 17 Rules: link
    DP Recruiting Office: link

Events, Eventmanagers: link
    Event Rules: link

• Was speaking generally in games not ST. I dont see many Star Trek storyline games lately.

• Star Trek Online (ALOT of storyline)
    Star Trek Timelines
    and there is a 3rd where i dont remember its name atm

signew.jpg

cfmoddblogo.png5904.png5904.png
    http://www.moddb.com/scripts/topsite.php?ts=4766

Only dead fish swim with the stream.
    Don't discuss with idiots. They only drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience there.

This is ten percent luck,
    Twenty percent skill,
    Fifteen percent concentrated power of will,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,
    And a hundred percent reason to remember the name!