Is Freelancer really a dead game?

There are 5 replies in this Thread. The last Post () by The Original.

• Is Freelancer really a dead game? I know that this game was released 2002, why did they abandoned a such great game? Good thing community kinda revived it especially the one who created CF2, nothing just something on my mind. :huh:

• IMO only a facts that existed modding communities (like starport, lancers reactor) and sites like swat-portal or discovery and others was possible keep Freelancer alive so long. With PCs hardware force exponentially going up in time and with this theirs prices going similar speed but down was only a matter of time when there will come something new what will strongly draw players interest. Again imo there is not as much problem that old players search for something other (more reasons) for play, but real problem is that there are not much new (young) players which want to play something so "old" ... no matter if it is in modded form in some aspects looking even better as actual top gaming titles.

Its a sad moment if you look back on something you invested alot of your time, effort, and in some cases also RL moneys, how is going down (but on other side in that time it gave alot fun and joy for yourself and others so it simply was not a wasted time or effort) ... but maybe it is only matter of different views what really is important ... a game OR ppl who decided to be on it and created a gaming community. Imo there is nothing what can stop a time flow, and there imo is not also anything what can stop the need to ask and decide "What to do next?" ... this can be atm only slightly pushed to the future, but not much far.

• most games survive 1-2 years
    FL with its nearly 13 years really has been an exceptional game that was kept alive by its communities

But even the communities made mistakes, especially the crisis starting with the collapse of lancersreactor in 2007 which caused many problems and many players leaving the game.
    We did what we could to limit and repair the damages but we have had no influence on what others did.
    And now... 13 years after the FL release new games are on the Horizon.

Is FL dead?
    No!
    There is always reason to play the game and there are always players willing to have fun with it.

signew.jpg

cfmoddblogo.png5904.png5904.png
    http://www.moddb.com/scripts/topsite.php?ts=4766

Only dead fish swim with the stream.
    Don't discuss with idiots. They only drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience there.

This is ten percent luck,
    Twenty percent skill,
    Fifteen percent concentrated power of will,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,
    And a hundred percent reason to remember the name!

• is the game dead well not to me, i have experienced other mods and watched them die. asgard,plasmafire and so on.started here a very green pilot and first impression was amazing the happy and helpfull pilots it is a welcome place and to that i have been here a long time. it has with great effort and personal time from the team progresses with even today in amazement and challenge. :) :) :)

• It is not dead indeed ... just not many players are around ... perhaps busy with RL or something else ... but they are there ... not lost yet ...
    Me too quite seldom online now due to work ... but if i got the time, i will never hesitate to logon ... i'm not bored so far with the excitement of killing the NPCs or the DOOMs ...
    For me, i dont care if no players are around ... i just keep grinding the credits and keep grinding more ... hehehe ...