Joystick + keyboard layout

There are 9 replies in this Thread. The last Post () by SWAT_OP-R8R.

• I have recently adjusted my whole key layout as i noticed in combat that my initial layout was too widespread an ineffective.
    For gods sake I still remember my key config from Starlancer which had been proved to be extremely effective in combat.
    However i think the layout requires a bit explanation....

• I was too lazy to add less important keys (e.g. system map, lights, etc.) to the pictures below. Those are also mapped but well, they are too unimportant to mention them here.
    • Below you can see how ive set up my joystick axis... it might be that you prefer to switch the y and z axis but i however made much better combat experience (also form my times in Starlancer) when the roll funtion gets activated by twisting the stick.
    • You also might notice that aside from the buttons on top of the stick I dont use any other buttons. Using the buttons on the left side of the stick and the u-axis in my eyes is highly inefficent as you have to move your left hand away from your keyboard (that would cost alot of time and cause confusion).
    • I use the top joystick buttons (with the exception of the primary fire button) only for fuctions which dont to be pressed for a longer period of time.
      e.g. I could put secondary fire on the button 2 but... if i do this and fire my weapons with that button I can not press any of the other buttons on top of that stick without releasing button 2 (and therefore stopping to fire)....
      with other words... if i would map the 2nd fire button on the stick I would run into a problem since i only have one thumb to press these buttons up there.... I would need to decide... do i continue to fire my secondary weapons or do I push one of the other buttons up there.
      I have only put fuctions on my top joystick buttons which require a short activation such has thrust settings, booster and energy management (which works perfectly over there).
    • Another reason not to put secondary fire on the stick is precision (or the lack of). I remember very well that when I started to play starlancer I had 2nd fire on joystick 2 and everytime when i fired a missile with it I slightly tapped the joystick a bit forward. Especialy when using unguided weapons you risk missing your target this way.
      In conclusion I have the secondary fire on my keyboard (space key)... I can tap it with my left thumb without that any accidental movement is done on the joystick.
    • WASD is pretty much my main focus for the left hand (i dont more it away from this position). WASD is used for strafing and that works perfectly there and is extremely precise.
    • From the WASD I have mapped keys that I can easily reach with imporant functions such as silent running, landing gear or all the different targeting modes.

[xattach=5990][/xattach][xattach=5991][/xattach]

Files

signew.jpg

cfmoddblogo.png5904.png5904.png
    http://www.moddb.com/scripts/topsite.php?ts=4766

Only dead fish swim with the stream.
    Don't discuss with idiots. They only drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience there.

This is ten percent luck,
    Twenty percent skill,
    Fifteen percent concentrated power of will,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,
    And a hundred percent reason to remember the name!

• Edit by
    Solution posted in this post below was proven as not effective and was cancelled :) 

In picture below is config made for my Thrustmaster T.16000M. Using both hands on it, on keyboard only some minor importance keys. Still experiment how (or if) to set it better, but if I used for some movements in assist off it worked not bad ... dunno, matter of "get used" to your chosen setup. But is fact that especially 2nd fire usage is not easy.

• Im not a fan of key combinations.... that makes everything too complicated and in the end also a bit slow

signew.jpg

Don't discuss with idiots. They only drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience there.

Twenty percent skill,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,

• Thinking about Gametrix ECS throttle ... there was some issue with it on ED, but previous week was info on frontier forum that new firmware resolved it use in ED (something about differently named axis which were not recognized by game). With all these additional buttons should be not problem map all needed keys.

Elite still dont see my throttle

• when i look at that thing I probably would have problems reaching all these buttons

most of what i see on that pic is controlled with the thumb (and i only have one) or is so far away from each other that it hard to be used in an effective way.
    Since I have tried to put thrust on an axis when i did my first tries to play the game I am convinced that I will never ever do that again.
    For me its a no-go to invest new hardware if my keyboard can do the same job (and probably even better).

signew.jpg

Twenty percent skill,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,

• I reconsidered few times further HW investments, and in the end changed my mind and fully reworked my controllers setups using OPs advice in 1st post. Especially main thrusters fw and back on joy buttons and secondary fire on keyboard (space) + power distribution works significantly better than i had before (and is also much easier to remember these settings). Except some slight changes I added on Tab key "assist off" because I use this feature quite often. Joystick and keyboard offers quite good control for your ship ... and also it is a cheap solution.

• looks like an overdose to me

signew.jpg

Twenty percent skill,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,

• Finally that item arrived (more as 2 weeks delayed) and I like how it fit into my hands. Except circuit axe controller on left side (thruster) I have all buttons used and it need only more practising to use it fully smoothly. First time feelings are really good. I can recommend use also target software (thrustmaster official): you can easily adjust axis response curves, set dead zones and map keyboard keys to buttons. I have set thruster to full range (-32k to +32k) with dead zone (thruster do not have dent for "0") but was not problem.

• ahh the joys of a new device

multiple hours to get all functions mapped and countless of days to get used to it ^^

signew.jpg

Twenty percent skill,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,