ED Guides - Beginner mistakes

There are 3 replies in this Thread. The last Post () by Martind Forlon.

• Since I have just started and had already more small problems ... this thread may come handy for someone ...

[heading]External view in demo controls?[/heading]
    Demo do not have such setting, you need to go to a "real" game, where you will see in Miscellaneous option "Debug camera toggle" where you can assign key as you want.

[heading]Docking on outpost[/heading]
    After you will request permission to dock, there is displayed dock number ... also depots have more landing pods and they can be on base different sides. So search for dock with "yellow" rectangles and corresponding dock number around station. If you will try stubbornly dock on wrong dock number, you will get short warning and then will get reward with the "wanted status" and a bounty on your head.

[heading]Fresh re-start[/heading]
    If happens some issues like "wanted" status right on start, it may be good solution "clear data" from options in main menu and do a fresh start.

[heading]Controls (axis direction) get reversed suddenly [/heading]
    Well, it is very likely not suddenly ... isn't that in moment when you deployed a landing gear? (you want dock and suddenly all controls get crazy ... and there is a very good chance that your ship, or joystick, will get some damage ;) ). Solution is very easy ... go again to controls, scroll down, more down and find out a section with controls for landing ^^ ... there you may find that settings there are different as these used for normal flight in free space.

• - The debug camera is nice but does not allow you to fly your ship. Its a static "uhhh look at my fancy ship" screencapture features... but thats it.

- Docking on outposts can be tricky when you can not see where the damn dock is (often at the back side)... I have not figured out of there is a static overview on the hud showing the location of the bay (probably not)

- Controls by default get inverted when setting new joystick axes.
    However, the problem you might encounter here is that you have 2 different controls set. One for normal flight... one for docking. The game offers too many control options which actually can be ignored.

It took me ages to get the controls config done right... my biggest mistake was to enable the u-axis of my joystick for forward and backward throttle (thats actually what this axis was made for). I ended up crashing into stuff becasue the axis was too sensitive and had no easy to find 0 positiion. In the end I layed throttle controls on my keyboard where they are much more reliable.

signew.jpg

cfmoddblogo.png5904.png5904.png
    http://www.moddb.com/scripts/topsite.php?ts=4766

Only dead fish swim with the stream.
    Don't discuss with idiots. They only drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience there.

This is ten percent luck,
    Twenty percent skill,
    Fifteen percent concentrated power of will,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,
    And a hundred percent reason to remember the name!

• my biggest mistake was to enable the u-axis of my joystick for forward and backward throttle (thats actually what this axis was made for). I ended up crashing into stuff becasue the axis was too sensitive and had no easy to find 0 position. In the end I layed throttle controls on my keyboard where they are much more reliable.

I switched the axis from bidirectional (forward and backward throttle) to unidirectional and that works fine. My axis for thrust is too small for both, too. Switch between forward and backward thrust can be made with a key now. Although I badly crashed backwards into a station when launching, flooring the throttle and forgot that I switched to backward-thrust right before landing... -.-

• [heading]"Too close" ... FSD is immediately auto-closing[/heading]
    Don't panic, you was dropped from cruise, because you was going directly to some planet. If you arrived on planet "dark" side, you can be easily confused what is going on. To get out of that place start FSD and turn your ship to "blue" escape zone and fly little away. Now you can on scanner see a huge planet with zone where your FDS will collapse. Fly little aside from this zone and slowly turn your ship to your destination. It will not need much time to go around planet and get clean path directly to your desired base.

[heading]Fines[/heading]
    There is more nice ways how to get fined ... bcs smuggle, bcs hit another ship while passing bases "mail slot", bcs ... no issue with that, simply open station services, there check contacts and you will see fines you need to pay to local police.

[heading]Weapons testing "close" to base[/heading]
    Before you start with weapons testing, check twice that you have left bases "no firing" zone ... if you fly something like Sidewinder, local authority vessel will show you quickly that be inside "no fire" zone when you used your ship weapons was a very bad idea ^^ .