Windows 10 Experience...

There are 50 replies in this Thread. The last Post () by SWAT_OP-R8R.

• Meanwhile i am running on Win 10 after i had to reinstall my win 7. Not yet finished with installing all the software packages, but so far it runs pretty well.
    When i once dont have the opportunity to upgrade to win 10 after another year i take my backup of win 7 - as for the rest i believe somehow there are ways sooner or later.

signature.png

• I have installed a clean Windows 10 Enterprise and Freelancer won't start. There was message from the Customization wizard to fix issue, but it is gone now.
    The install of FL was not an issue.
    Have installed DirectX and all Visual C++ versions and still a no go.
    Threre's no messages about Freelancer, failing to start, in Event Viewer.

CF RP: Probably smuggling something or exploring the universe
    EM char: Event_Manager_Silverfox

9248-cebc88b9.png

• No AV installed and UAC is turned off.
    Have an idea about permission - my account is my Company Account (->Enterprise). Local accounts are only possible on registred editions, from what I read :|
    I am seriously considering installing W10 Pro instead on clean disc. Disc wasn't cleaned with this "upgrade".

9248-cebc88b9.png

• Looks like there's an issue with SafeDIsc (copy protection of CD-ROM) with clean installs. I installed Win 10 Pro and have the same issue:
    The service could not start because of Secdrv.sys. the following error:
    Loading the driver was blocked.
    So...

9248-cebc88b9.png

• Ive read about that yesterday.
    Windows 10 does not contain that driver dll which renders thousands of older games incompatible with win10
    Windows 7 and windows 8 contained that driver by default.
    Even the games contain that driver.... but only in a 32bit version which does not have digital signature that is accepted by windows 10.

A solution to this problem is not available yet.
    Microsoft support suggested getting a version of such games which does not any copyright protection (which is like... microsoft motivating players to download pirated copies)

signew.jpg

cfmoddblogo.png5904.png5904.png
    http://www.moddb.com/scripts/topsite.php?ts=4766

Only dead fish swim with the stream.
    Don't discuss with idiots. They only drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience there.

This is ten percent luck,
    Twenty percent skill,
    Fifteen percent concentrated power of will,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,
    And a hundred percent reason to remember the name!

• It looks that wait few weeks with upgrade is not the worst idea ...

• Well, I will be waiting period. Just checked on update and got msg saying they (MS) were still working with other vendors to address issues regarding my PC set up/configuration. Hmm...not really sure if what that is supposed to mean, nothing unusual about it, I don't think anyway, since it is a test platform that NVIDIA used to test their GPU's. I am smelling something...

Gearhead10.png

[size=10]Cooler Master HAF 912 Chassis; ASUS PRIME B660M - A WIFI D4; Intel Core i7-12700F,25MB Cache, LGA1700; Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO; Corsair 16GB (4x4GB 2000 MHZ DDR3); 1NIVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 Gaming OG 12G Ti, Corsair RM 1000 PSU, Micron 256GB SSD (Win 11), WD Caviar Black HDD (640GB - Win 11 64), Samsung SyncMaster BX2440 (Digital)

The Personal World Clock

• were still working with other vendors to address issues regarding my PC set up/configuration

They are waiting for your pc vendor to validate Windows 10 is running without any issues. I upgraded my HP laptop (not waiting for HP) without any issues.

9248-cebc88b9.png

• @GodEatGod - or trouble! Bout to find out, notice to schedule DL just popped up.

Gearhead10.png

[size=10]Cooler Master HAF 912 Chassis; ASUS PRIME B660M - A WIFI D4; Intel Core i7-12700F,25MB Cache, LGA1700; Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO; Corsair 16GB (4x4GB 2000 MHZ DDR3); 1NIVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 Gaming OG 12G Ti, Corsair RM 1000 PSU, Micron 256GB SSD (Win 11), WD Caviar Black HDD (640GB - Win 11 64), Samsung SyncMaster BX2440 (Digital)

The Personal World Clock

• So I reinstalled Windows 7 Pro, installed Freelancer +CF and Upgraded to Win 10 Pro.
    Only problem I have is a really high framerate (130-199), which makes Suns and asteroids fields look a bit odd (have a movie somewhere for later).
    I have a dual graphics setup (GTX 660 TI x2) and a 144 hz screen. Moorhun said that dual setup offen gives problem with old games, so I pulled 1 card out, but no difference in framerate. This might be some Nvidia "default" settings, dunno.
    Another thing I noticed is that CF seems a bit darker, but dunno if that's related to that framerate thing.

Worse is that some shaders don't work for me: SMAA, FXAA and SweetFX doesn't work (dual setup or not, no difference).
    No Selection, ENB's and Vanilla Fl shaders works just fine.

Edit: Nvidia Driver 353.62
    Edit 2 - Video: Asteroids looks funny when I type /ping and the sun is strange in the end

9248-cebc88b9.png

Edited 3 times, last by SilverFox ().

• Win 10 installed. So far no issues, other then figuring out where things are residing at, but no biggie yet. CF started up but I did have to install the DirectPlay for it to run. about to reboot and try again. SweetFx worked like a champ though. will update...

Edit by
    Ok, reboot improved things some. only issue with CF is that I need to go in and turn the Aero themes off as I don't have the opening videos, only audio. Otherwise it is working great! found some of my screenshots but not all of them and of course not the ones that I am specifically looking for... yet!

Edit by
    Ok, forget about Aero, hasn't existed since Win 8. from what i just read, not much I can do but I did change from the default to the basic setting or Win 10 themes. Will see if that helps.

Edit by
    Well that didn't work either and now my wife isn't a happy camper as her favorite Windows games are gone and she doesn't like the new ones! Yet.

Gearhead10.png

The Personal World Clock

Edited 4 times, last by Gearhead10 ().

• Today Parsec told me that there seems to be problems when your FL version is copy protected by SafeDisc or certain versions of Securom DRM and with that with the driver SECDRV.SYS.
    I didnt had these kind of problems and would like to ask if anyone of you had this issues? Actually the only possibility seems to be a downgrade to Win 7 or 8 - eventually the compatibily mode or running as admin could also help.

signature.png

• First to answer Huor's question, no, haven't had those issues.

Second, still haven't found the magic button that lets the opening videos be seen. audio not an issue. and the wife is no longer upset about her games, she likes the new ones better and now the problem is she hogs up the PC! :arghs:

Gearhead10.png

The Personal World Clock