Freelancer.exe - Application Error: 0xc000007b

There are 21 replies in this Thread. The last Post () by christinegrant98.

• So I spend a whole 2 hours following the "extended installation instructions" for CF 2.0 EXACTLY AND PRECISELY, with the 5 restarts and all, and at the end of it all, I get this crap: "Freelancer.exe - Application Error: The application was unable to start correctly (0xc000007b). Click OK to close the application."

What is this? What is the problem? Is there something I did wrong?

I know you guys worked really hard on this, but you really ought to make this easier for people to play. Most people I know would spend one second looking at those installation instructions and say "hahaha, nope."

As you can tell, I'm kind of not happy...

• The major "problem" that us causing 90% of the "failed" installations are AV (Anti-virus). It make some sort of "misstakes" and dissables or deletes some items when being installed. I know that myself, because that was the main reason i couldn't make it work. Try re-installing the game, then turning off or even deleting your AV while installing the game and then once you launched it, re-install or activate it back. if this doesn't work, check out some of the reports in the report section. Maybe there is a solution for your problem already there :)

"Only the strongest will survive!"

• before installing anything, make sure your AV leaves the following stuff alone by adding exceptions to system scanner
    -program files location where Freelancer is installed (something like "C:/Program Files/Microsoft Games")
    -crossfire setup exe file
    -freelancer mod manager folder (before you copy crossfire mod into "/mods" folder)
    -"Documents/My Games/Freelancer"
    -anything you can find which has something to do with Freelancer

after that, check your quarantaine for freelancer related files

edit: you can also try turning User Account Control completely off before running Crossfire Setup. (was needed in my case)
    Sometimes running setup with administrator rights doesn't work.

• :( I'm really sorry for you, unfortunatly I am unaware of what the different error codes mean so I can't tell you exactly what went wrong on your installation.

In general I don't have to add something to what @Apache and @GodEatGod have said. Most of the time it's rly something related to security stuff. Freelancer is so 'old' that seemingly most vendors of AV-programs render it as 'unknown' and a possible threat. :P

Another often forgotten error is, that something's left in the registry. That was one of my favorites, when I embarked on installing, leaving something inone of the many 'trees' of the registry as well as some other FL related stuff like old savegames.

As a personal experience : from announced release of CF 2.0 if went through the deinstal/reinstal shuffle for getting it properly working more than a DOZEN TIMES and I can't recall how often I did it with counting in CF 1.7, 1.8, .......... :tot:.
    But ... in the end I feel it absolutly woth the effort. ;)

Btw.: a lil more info on your system like wich OS, graphic card, security set-up ? ... maybe could give an additional hint.

Edit by
    by APE
    ... and at least 4 times I had to redo it WITH the extended installation guide cause I forgot some lil step of it somewhere on the road
    .... even though I have made this guide :D

Superint_siggy_new.png

Am I a man ? I am. So - I got married. House, wife, children,everything.
    The FUULL catastrophy !

"MY MACHINE": Win 7 prof 64bit , i7 3770K , vtx HD7950 X-edition , 8 GB DDR3-2400 , Sandisk 256 ultra , 2TB Seagate, BenQ BL2710PT (2560x1440)

• I have no anti-virus on this machine.

UAC is always off for me.

@APE I used CCleaner, aswell as manually look for freelancer related things in the registry, and promptly deleted them after I did the uninstall of freelacer.

I'm using a Toshiba Satellite a135-7404 . Celeron M Processor @ 1.73 GhZ, 1.5GB RAM, Intel GMA 950, and on Windows 7 Ultimate.
    Also I'm using the Windows Vista Driver for the gma 950 to fix the crazy text problem, maybe it doesn't like that. I'll try going back to the win 7 driver and see how it reacts.

Edited 2 times, last by MuG3N ().

• Can you please check if you have similar size, files/folders count for CF 2.0 folder in FLMM/mods? This can be good 1st step for check if you have correctly downloaded and installed mod.

As I searched a bit using google such error may be related to .NET Framework (or Microsoft Visual C++ runtime packages), may be worth check if you have installed required ones (reinstall it, its recommended also here). Error you have appear immediately when you start Freelancer.exe? ... (is not appearing launcher?)

And one more question: are you using launcher coming with mod setup file or you downloaded "new" launcher version?

• You probably need some Prerequisite Installs:
    Visual C++ 2005, 208 and 2010 from
    Visual C++ 200X x86
    If you tell which Windows 7 version you use (32 bit / 64 bit ), the above search can be narrowed down a bit
    Edit: Corrected to Visual C++ 200x x86 only

CF RP: Probably smuggling something or exploring the universe
    EM char: Event_Manager_Silverfox

9248-cebc88b9.png

Edited 3 times, last by SilverFox ().

• it happens sometime , in xp or in 7....sure exist in registry some null entries ccleaner cant delete it...somehow ur app errors appear...alot of work but as Ape said..it worth to un/install try - verify- diy or diagain :) .

(if my hdd could ...certainly it would shoot me as soon as posible ...)

• signature.png

• Can you please check if you have similar size, files/folders count for CF 2.0 folder in FLMM/mods? This can be good 1st step for check if you have correctly downloaded and installed mod.

As I searched a bit using google such error may be related to .NET Framework (or Microsoft Visual C++ runtime packages), may be worth check if you have installed required ones (reinstall it, its recommended also here). Error you have appear immediately when you start Freelancer.exe? ... (is not appearing launcher?)

And one more question: are you using launcher coming with mod setup file or you downloaded "new" launcher version?

For flmm folder I have Size: 6.41 GB Size on disk 6.43

Ok I will try to reinstall.

Yes, the error happens as soon as I click freelancer.exe

I downloaded the latest launcher, as the instructions instructed.

UPDATE: So I uninstalled Freelancer/CF2.0, cleaned registry with ccleaner, advanced system care, as well as manually. I reinstalled all Visual C++ 2005, 2008, 2010. Reinstalled .NET Framework 4.5. Restarted after each. I tried to reinstall DirectX, but after I edit the registry to trick the installer into reinstalling, the webinstaller says "An internal error has occured". It even says this after I change the registry key value back to what it was. Downloaded another installer, same thing. ran dxdiag, no problems it said. So I figured I'll just go ahead and try again with CF2.0. So I do the installation processes. Now, when I run freelacer.exe, it asks for MSVCR100.dl. It says I "don't have it on my computer". lies. I find it in my system32 folder, copy, and paste it right to freelancer.exe's forehead (in EXE folder). Then I try again and were back at square 1. "Freelancer.exe - Application Error: The application was unable to start correctly (0xc000007b). Click OK to close the application."

Maybe is the problem the fact that my computer uses DirectX 11?

Edited once, last by MuG3N ().

• fl dont require any 64 bit dlls as fl is a 32 bit process - thus cannot load any 64 bit dlls. There is no need to install any other dlls separately - the installer comes with all dlls required. I assume he has a problem with the installer itself which misses to install some dlls.

So check the size of the flmm mods cf folder prior activation. If the size doesnt match it makes no sense to activate fl.

signature.png

• Nvm guys, I fixed it.

Got this thing called "All in One runtimes"

I guess I was missing one of those things.

Thanks for the help guys, I appreciate it.

Update: Now the launcher just sits there saying "starting update" for like 10 min. now. I can tell it's not downloading anything because I use TMAC which monitors how many data packets my computer is sending and receiving, and it's basically nothing. Should I restart it?

Edited once, last by MuG3N ().

• Can happen that it can "hangs" sometimes. If so, close launcher and start it again.

• Then something must block access to internet for launcher or missing files?. Check launcher log please for what is inside. I'm almost sure here on portal was such issues answered already, but atm cant find

Edit by
    maybe this? ... Launcher Updater Issues or try search in technical issues section little
    crossfire 2.0 launcher fails HELP!!!

Edit by

Edit by

Edit by