Single Player Hovis Race

There are 11 replies in this Thread. The last Post () by SilverFox.

• I am new to Crossfire. The increased speed makes it impossible to finish the race, especially towards the end. Is there any way to reduce the cruise speed?

• Is there any way to reduce the cruise speed?

Yes, but not without cheating :)
    It is possible to beat Hovis, many have done it. You have to learn the race track, where to put your ship to enter next time.
    Also your ship is important (some are slow) - which do you use ?

CF RP: Probably smuggling something or exploring the universe
    EM char: Event_Manager_Silverfox

9248-cebc88b9.png

• Thank you for the reply. I have played the vanilla game 20+ times. The race is a breeze at a cruise speed of 300. In Crossfire, they all seem to be 450 (all that I remember flying). I have an A-100 Stormrider. I even replaced it with the low-end ship sold there at the race battleship (Cavalier). This ship did provide tighter turns, but at that speed, it made no difference on the second half of the race. Do other ships have a slower cruise speed?

I was really looking forward to trying something new with Crossfire, but this will end the game for me if I can't find another way past it. *Way* too aggravating for what I consider to be the least interesting part of the original game.

• There is a hint given just after the start of the race by one of the betters on the Hood. He says "keep your eye on the next gate". This is the key. Once you are set up
    for the gate you are about to pass through shift your focus to the next gate and keep it there until you are set up for it, then shift again to the following gate and so on. Once you get that down, you will notice
    you will be in a flow that will let you over take Hovis when he over shoots about mid way and you can pass him. You will know this has happened when he tells his guys to give you something to think about.
    don't think about it, ignore the missiles and stay focused on the gates. Do not look for Hovis' overshoot, that will take your focus off the gates, you will see it in your poriferal vision but don't shift focus to
    it, you lose if you do. As for ships, I have run and won the race in the Black Eagle, the Bastard, a freighter ( Bullpup MK III), and a couple of new ships that are new in 2.0 mod that shouldn't stand a chance but did anyway.
    Mostly depends on the pilot skills and like all things human, can be improved upon. When starting the race make sure you are in free flight and do not use f2 for the cruise engines, use shift+W instead. HTH, feel free to
    drop me a line if you still have questions. Have fun!

Gearhead10.png

[size=10]Cooler Master HAF 912 Chassis; ASUS PRIME B660M - A WIFI D4; Intel Core i7-12700F,25MB Cache, LGA1700; Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO; Corsair 16GB (4x4GB 2000 MHZ DDR3); 1NIVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 Gaming OG 12G Ti, Corsair RM 1000 PSU, Micron 256GB SSD (Win 11), WD Caviar Black HDD (640GB - Win 11 64), Samsung SyncMaster BX2440 (Digital)

The Personal World Clock

• I did it in Black Eagle.
    First time i failed,second time i won.
    Use strafe left and right a lot,you can't win without that.
    And yes,keep your eyes always on the next way point.
    Don't give up,real fun starts after vanilla missions.
    Good luck.

• Seriously, thanks for all your responses. All very good info. Much of it is all stuff I had to learn to get through vanilla, though. At the 450 speed in Crossfire, my ship is all over the place. No control at all. I don't have the coordination, patience nor the interest to play FPS or racing games. I respect that you and others can complete this race, but it is not in my reaction time. This used to upset me to no end, but I am okay with it now. I'm an 'old guy', and I have my preferred genres.

Perhaps this race is a test for newcomers to the servers... but I am playing single player. Do the mod designers only want elitists enjoying their content? Whiners suck, indeed - I hate 'em... truly sorry if I sound like one. I am just really frustrated that a.) I have to go through the vanilla story just to get to the new content, and b.) after investing many hours grinding to get to this point, I will not actually be able to experience that new content.

Thank you again for your comments. I take it that there is no way to fix the speed..? This is what I came in here for - there is no chance I will complete the race as is. I will not even try; the frustration is not healthy for me. As I am playing single player, I would have no issue with a 'cheat' - especially for something that is, in my opinion, broken. Honestly, this would more appropriately be called a patch. Does such a fix exist?

Cheers

• You can play Vanilla all the way untill last mission. Crossfire missions begins at the end of last Vanilla mission automatic. Perhaps only play Vanilla until after the Race, that's up to you.
    Yes, Crossfire requires better skills which comes with experience. Nothing elitist about it, i can assure you - then I would never have made it :)

CF RP: Probably smuggling something or exploring the universe
    EM char: Event_Manager_Silverfox

9248-cebc88b9.png

• Interesting... the installation instructions seemed to say I had to start with a clean start to Freelancer... that the game save file had to be empty. Can I simply load one of my previous play-through saves, and turn that into a Crossfire save?

For the record, I did catch the several comments about needing better skill in Crossfire. This is quite apparent playing new ships in the vanilla campaign. Against 5-8 ships, they can't drop my shield more than 25% or so, but I have to basically kill one enemy 5 times before it is actually dead. As the enemies' level increases, I will not be so invulnerable, yet it will still be a PITA killing enemy ships.

To make matters worse, the aiming square is now impossible (for me) to see, especially when under a lot of fire,or with different color backgrounds. I am partially colorblind - half the time it takes me 2-5 seconds just to locate the square. I then continually lose it while trying to target the enemy... Such an obviously easy fix, even one that gives you options on different types of target squares. I suppose this should be put into the improvement comment section...

Anyhow, thanks again. I will try to load from a previous vanilla save game. Shame to have lost all that time and the bank I accumulated... but if this works, I can make that up.

• There are in the launcher more different cross-hairs, they can be all tried easily (use settings menu in the launcher). For have correct aim is also important to use only a guns with the same projectiles speed. And for the race, there was earlier advised use strafe: in crossfire is possible strafe not only to the left and right, but also up and down. Besides use these strafe to avoid guns-fire (use right,down,left,up in circle ... bottom and up is need to assign to keys, they are not assigned by default) and make so called "box", they can be a serious help in this race, when if used they allow to stay inside race gates also with faster cruise speed ... start of race is not hard, the "worst" is race end, but it can be memorised. Crossfire mod is a challenge in more ways as only when fighting NPCs, but each single learned new skill during a play will come useful later.

... you may also upload your race mission save, here is more ppl which can pass this race for you and return to you next mission save. Still I'm sure you can pass this race by yourself if you will give it a try with our advice to use "strafes".

p.s.: for play Crossfire added missions is technically necessary to replay only whole mission 13.

• Loading a previous save worked. This will allow me to finish and move on to Crossfire, but I do lose the credits and ship already earned. The offer to help complete the race for me is awesome - I'd be humbled for sure. I attached the file here. I had to change the extension to .txt. It will need to be changed back to .fl.

Also, thanks for the info on the cross-hairs! I will look for this - it should make a huge game play enjoyment improvement for me.

Cheers

Files

• Save151b.txt

(235.22 kB, downloaded 8 times, last: )