Crossfire 2.0

There are 302 replies in this Thread. The last Post () by Peter Pampher.

• Ladies, gentlemen,

I have one good news and one bad news to announce.

The good news first, since I can explain everything else better then and hopefully people stop reading after that out of joy:
    Tomorrow (Wednesday 5th November 2014) we will publish the Client version of Crossfire 2.0.

The bad news:
    You will lose 6 weeks of progress on your chars.
    There is practically no good way of telling you this news so Ill say it straight away.
    During yesterdays online tests we noticed a server malfunction (to be more precise a malfunction in the Windows version that is used on the server) that corrupted large amounts of chars on the server.
    After checking the logs and the account data, we had to realize that this malfunction was in effect for nearly 6 weeks unnoticed by anyone. Not by the players... not by me.
    While not being a big problem for CF1.9 it is a major problem for CF2.0.
    The server of course did backups of all chars every day... but since it also included the corrupted data into these backups they are no real use anymore.
    Fact is, in order to get rid of this problem and release Crossfire 2.0 we have to do a char rollback of 6 weeks.
    I see no other way to get this problem fixed.

This whole situation sucks... for more than 10 years Ive tried to prevent such incidents but now it still happend.
    Im sorry about this mess.
    This clearly belongs into the category "worst-case scenario" but right now I have no other choice than to focus on limiting the damage.

Since we are now forced to do such a rollback on the server we have decided to release Crossfire 2.0 as a "pre-release" or "beta" or ... whatever you want to call it.
    Every day waiting would have made the situation worse. Every delay would have made the rollback and the amount of problems just bigger.

Today the server will stay offline while we do final tests and preparations.
    You will be able to download the mod from our filebase tomorrow.
    The client version is 100% complete and done.
    It will run stable in Singleplayer AND Multiplayer.

However, we are forced to release the mod before all parts of the server software are complete.
    There might be small issues and there are some online features which will not be available right after the release.
    In the following weeks we will use the CF2.0 server environment for public online tests and apply fixes and updates in the background. You may play online with CF2.0 and use the features that are already available but we might interupt regular gameplay when important tests have to be done.

Practically we can consider this a public online beta test for the mod.
    I encourage everyone to report bugs and problems via our bugtracker (in the Portal Tools) so we can take care of that.

Since this is some kind of "unofficial" release of the mod we will not make big public announcements about it. No news at Moddb... no sent newsletters. We first would like to observe the situation and if everything runs well we still can take care of promotional actions.

I hope that the almost 3 years of work we have put into this mod outweight the character rollback and the lossed related to this incident.

signew.jpg

cfmoddblogo.png5904.png5904.png
    http://www.moddb.com/scripts/topsite.php?ts=4766

Only dead fish swim with the stream.
    Don't discuss with idiots. They only drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience there.

This is ten percent luck,
    Twenty percent skill,
    Fifteen percent concentrated power of will,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,
    And a hundred percent reason to remember the name!

• First :
    I think everybody here will be :00002517::00002508::00002448::00000441: , that CF 2.0 comes out.
    IMHO the "price" for it - loss of about 6 weeks progress - is, compared to what we get neglectible. As many of us have already often offered their help and willingness for "beta-testing" - here it is :

8o The Chance For All Of Us To Make Something Great Even Better 8o

Personally, it will be my pleasure to do so. And remembering CF 1.8 and 1.82 - even if a bit different story then - should show, that this doesn't have to be a bad thing ;) .

Second :
    Some questions to fulfill this honoring duty maybe allowed :

• Installation procedure : as "usual" ? (deleting everything, then installing everything anew?)
    • anything "special" to obey in "mod options" during installation ?
    • anything "special" to obey during "activatiion" ?

and a question about the chars :

• what happens to char not created already 6 weeks ago ?
    • what happens to accounts not created 6 weeks ago ?

TBH, I'm quite curios how my chars looked alike 6 weeks ago :ui: , since I have no idea :D , which of them was alredy there at all :xD: .

Third :
    I think the one, who will blame you the most for this "misshappen"
    will be a guy with an O and a P and R as well as an 8 and a R in his account name.
    Even though it's not your fault.

:bidioticsmile: Thank you for keep going all this years :bidioticsmile: at all.

Superint_siggy_new.png

Am I a man ? I am. So - I got married. House, wife, children,everything.
    The FUULL catastrophy !

"MY MACHINE": Win 7 prof 64bit , i7 3770K , vtx HD7950 X-edition , 8 GB DDR3-2400 , Sandisk 256 ultra , 2TB Seagate, BenQ BL2710PT (2560x1440)

Edited once, last by NucNuc ().

• rollback means that everything done in the past 6 weeks is being reverted
    this includes char and account creations.

Installation instructions for the mod can be found inside the mod download.

signew.jpg

cfmoddblogo.png5904.png5904.png
    http://www.moddb.com/scripts/topsite.php?ts=4766

Only dead fish swim with the stream.
    Don't discuss with idiots. They only drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience there.

This is ten percent luck,
    Twenty percent skill,
    Fifteen percent concentrated power of will,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,
    And a hundred percent reason to remember the name!

• will be interesting to find out about the "age" of some of my chars and accounts ^^

btw : what will happen if I try to play a char or an account (via FLAM i.e) that might not have been there ?

Superint_siggy_new.png

The FUULL catastrophy !

"MY MACHINE": Win 7 prof 64bit , i7 3770K , vtx HD7950 X-edition , 8 GB DDR3-2400 , Sandisk 256 ultra , 2TB Seagate, BenQ BL2710PT (2560x1440)

• dunno if it's possible to log on with an account number not known by the server software as well as not given by the server software with a char that is also not known to the server.

Superint_siggy_new.png

The FUULL catastrophy !

• Could not have picked a better time to release Cross Fire 2.0 for me personally as just yesterday i re-imaged my laptop yesterday almost like twas fated :P

Looking forward to returning to the Sirius sector as well as others and resuming my (not strictly legal in game) activities against the scurge of nomad and pirates.

THANKS TO SWAT AND EVERY ONE INVOLVED FOR ALL THE HARD WORK.. :D

On a similar note CF2.0 will be getting possibly my only vote in the moddb mod awards This year

• btw : what will happen if I try to play a char or an account (via FLAM i.e) that might not have been there ?

Account in your FLAM is only a "key" which will allow you access chars which are fully stored on the server. If these chars were created in last 6 weeks, you will see only empty account once you will use your FLAM code.

... and for install and setup: 2.0 is in all ways easier to get running, I have pretty enough experience with that already :)

• ... and for install and setup: 2.0 is in all ways easier to get running, I have pretty enough experience with that already

Then I would like to please you to enlight us, ... perhaps with a li' sticky thread right in this categozy (Crossfire General Discussions).

Superint_siggy_new.png

The FUULL catastrophy !

• OP,Huor end all the defs..... i cant thank you enough for all the hard work you guys did in last 3 years to bring the Freelancer 2.0 to all of us. Best regards end happy hunting !

• that's great news :)
    haha, I wonder how my 2-3 years old chars still function.
    finally the time has arrived to roam through the wonderful universe of crossfire :)

p.s. OP, I would give you a "like" on the post, but since the only button I can find is "dislike" ...

• Very good news overall!
    Will cost me 200 Million Bucks and will force me to do some long trips to gather all equipment again, but better poor in 2.0 than forever rich in 1.9.

Looking forward to it!

• Yeah it sounds really nice and i just can say thank you guys for everything you did before and do it already now. i really enjoy your mod and with the new version it wont be different in any little particle.
    It´s sadly to hear but, i don´t care it was a young Char hehe.. i will have to reborn my Cr/\s|-|er!

Looking forward to enjoy your newest creation soon!

See you all in Space

:Ausgezeichnet: :Homer:

Charakter: Cr/\s|-|er

• Lol i'm just go back from work, enter in community to see what happen here and boom :bomb: 2.0 is coming tomorrow for me is no matter this loss of progress in future we will be able to make much more. :zocken:
    Thank you, Dev Team for hard work! :tanz:
    I hope for clearing from all problems on mod.
    I ready know my mission for tomorrow after work day end. Install greatest Freelancer mod ever! :woot:

Break the chains of life! Fly freely!

• Then I would like to please you to enlight us, ... perhaps with a li' sticky thread right in this categozy (Crossfire General Discussions).

Except guide coming with mod you may find usefull little longer one placed in FAQ (need to expand entry manually ...)

• Frankly speaking, even though a GREAT LOSS in this 6 weeks thing ... but a GREATER GAIN will be there/here ...

My heart is pumping hard and my palm is sweating a lot... BRAVO to the team and to the community as well, without the community, there will be no team at all ...

THX...

• :king Good job and thanks for hard working guys really am waiting to see what really nicely Done !!!
    and about losing the progress of character i knew some thing about : there will be a bad news about this
    i don't know just i stopped updating my characters because of some thing wrong will happen ...
    and really it is already happened so i avoid this bad news but am sad because i will lose
    the points in Crossfire top 100 Ch now i got 360k they will be less than this
    no problem for me the
    problem the time i spent to get that points !!

• First reaction when reading this: OUCH! Time to calculate the damage! :P

1 billion credits *poof*
    full neutral rep train char with cloaking *poof*
    full neutral rep mining ship *poof*
    storage char loaded with IC goodies and red crystals *poof*
    1 char with 95% mapping done *poof*

I gotta say this settles things back quite a bit because I wont be able to participate in any events any time soon... :(
    On the other hand it's time for some fresh start! As soon as my OCD completionist syndrom kicks in, I'll get them em back in time! (and get rid of the god-awful GmG2 secret faction tags affilation lol)

The only thing I pray for to the Gods of Chaos is server stability (the only drawback this mod has in my opinion) and as few bugs as possible!

Keep up the good work peeps and make my lower jaw drop once again in awe..! :ninja: