Freelancer 2.0 vs. Star Citizen (Pay to Play)

There are 65 replies in this Thread. The last Post () by redirishlord.

• I just went to the Star Citizen website and was greeted with that design teams hand out for money. Freelancers, I'm telling you they intend to make just under a $100 Million by the time the game actually starts.

But the big money comes in when someone takes your ship and you have to buy a new one. The average price for a good ship is around $130 - give or take a few dollars. The financial forecast after ten years is a "net" profit of $250 to $350 MILLION DOLLARS just from the players who what to upgrade ships, buy weapons, and even buy yourself a Tee-Shirt. They are marketing patches, pins and probably Bronze slag that used to be someone's ship.

Although the concept of play is totally realistic, because you have to consider the loss of your ship, cargo, and weapons...if it cost me $20 to buy everything and play until I'm tired, I'd say it will be a great game. But the cost per person sucks with a capital "S."

I have been playing different Mods of Freelancer and the most I've spent is my time and an occasional donation.

Star Citizen will be a financial success beyond any player's daydreams. But - is it truly worth it in the long run? If you can waste a couple hundred dollars just to buy a ship, hanger and weapons. I say go try it and we will all see you back here within a month or until you are flat broke and three hundred dollars is just too much to start all over again.

The product "Star Citizen" will be utterly fantastic - BUT, it will empty your wallet many times over.

The players who heard about the game early were able to buy ships with "Lifetime Hull Insurance." after the cut-off period, the best you can get is six month insurance, after that you Pay and pay and pay.

I'm my opinion, the game will be great, the profits for Chris Roberts and crew will be even greater, and in the end - they wind up very rich and you, if you are real lucky may find someone to buy your ship so you can come back to Freelancer/Crossfire Mod and play with friends instead of competitors.

Take care, Stay Safe and Shoot Straight & Often!

• ... after 10years:

Current stretch goal: 1.000.000.000$
    Stretch goal progress 98%
    Unlocks: - personality transfer to SC universe (Bonus: - +50.000$ permanent transfer)

• and it all started with a poll
    What kind of game do you want?

Singleplayer shooter
    freelancer type game
    free to play

and now the game is called "give me your money"

but how is that going to work... next to the "free to play" promise they made in the early days they also said that ppl can mod the entire game and host own servers
    how does that fit into the picture of the money making machine

signew.jpg

cfmoddblogo.png5904.png5904.png
    http://www.moddb.com/scripts/topsite.php?ts=4766

Only dead fish swim with the stream.
    Don't discuss with idiots. They only drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience there.

This is ten percent luck,
    Twenty percent skill,
    Fifteen percent concentrated power of will,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,
    And a hundred percent reason to remember the name!

• Easy :

Any mod or modded element HAS to be reviewed and approved by them, ... and be payed for by you.
    After you've payed for using the "approved" and payed for modding tools.

Most likely you will be welcomed to host your own server, ... after agreeing to a "proper" fee-paying scheme.

And if you don't agree to their terms and might even dare to play your mod or host your server WItHOUT approval, ...

Well, I think they could afford not only the best but - with that financial "backing" - almost EVERY lawyer worldwide.

Superint_siggy_new.png

Am I a man ? I am. So - I got married. House, wife, children,everything.
    The FUULL catastrophy !

"MY MACHINE": Win 7 prof 64bit , i7 3770K , vtx HD7950 X-edition , 8 GB DDR3-2400 , Sandisk 256 ultra , 2TB Seagate, BenQ BL2710PT (2560x1440)

• the more i know the more i dislike it

signew.jpg

Don't discuss with idiots. They only drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience there.

Twenty percent skill,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,

• Fortunately there are other variant as SC (Elite Dangerous) which looks much more promising ... for me serious candidate for game which i will want to play.

• Hi Franco,

well to be honest I am not too much into the Star Citizen news and game contents but as far I could read you don't have to spend real money to repair your ship or buy another one. Well you have to spend money to get a new ship and also spend money for lost equipment (without insurance) but you can also buy stuff with game money and not only with real money. As far I remember Criss Roberts didn't want to have a pay to win game. But in other hand you can already playing games that are not officially pay to win but secretly they are (more or less)
    At the end we will see.

I guess Blizzard was the first company who gets very rich in taking monthly fee (payment) so now other company's say that what Blizzard has achieved so far to get rich, we can do it better..

302 Found

"
    What happens if I don’t have insurance?
    Your character will have to buy a new ship with any credits he has, or
    if he doesn’t have enough credits fly missions for a third party (both NPC and player) until he’s earned enough to buy his own ship again."

• sounds a bit like spending 2 weeks working for a ship which gets blown up within 30 seconds

signew.jpg

Twenty percent skill,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,

• Where did you guys see this? All i've seen from inspecting the site is that backers with more expensive packages gain the ability to test out the bigger ships in a DM arena type mode during alpha, and that all ships will be playable by everyone when the game releases. When the game releases only skins and color schemes will be available as microtrans. Then again it will prolly be 4-6 years before that happens. I haven't seen anything about paying real money to repair or having to drop money over and over again for a wrecked ship. It would be great to see some progress and maybe its a bad approach to not allow sufficient testing of all the ships by hiding them behind pay-walls but how bad can Chris Roberts really be? I mean he practically designed Freelancer and he seems to be anything but disingenuous. All i can say is that i hope he doesn't pull a Molyneux cuz Godus is bullshit!
    Slightly off topic- No game has ever done a space opera storyline better than Escape Velocity Nova I'm still waiting to see ambrosia make a real sequel. If you haven't seen it it is the true pre-cursor to these types of games and goddamn it I would throw stacks if a new one got kick-started by the original developer.

• how bad can he be.... hmmm

well... putting aside that he discredited the work of all space sim/arcade game designers of the past 10 years and claimed to save the genre and of course PC gaming (his words)
    he is falsely considered the creator of Freelancer (the game we play)
    fact however is that he messed up the development of freelancer... sold his company to microsoft in 2001 already where he was then replaced by jörg neumann
    the game was then completely redesigned (for gods sake because what Chris Roberts presented at that point was pure crap that nobody wanted to play) and finally released in 2003

also unknown to most ppl is that he didnt create a successful game for meanwhile more than 17 years eventhough he created and released several games (4or5) in that time which all were major failures

The way i see it many promises were made when star citizen started and most wishes and hopes of the users so far got totally ignored.
    And when i look at other games whic are currently in development i can clearly see that with far less money even better games can be build.
    You cant buy creativity and good ideas with money.

signew.jpg

Twenty percent skill,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,

• I freely admit i bought the Freelancer package for SC, which is my total commitment to the game. That said, because i bought mine very early on and am a gold ticket holder, i got full LTI with my ship. As has been mentioned it's not all pay to play, you can certainly earn money in the game which will pay for insurance, paint jobs, whatever. Nowhere does it say anywhere on the SC site that you have to pay to play as you don't, period.

Tbh, if you want the latest space opera, go Elite Dangerous, cheaper, one off payment, play as long as you want, regularly updated, made for a lot less than Chris Roberts is making his game for, and made by an all time legend with history of making good games. I rest my case.

• Whats all this Jibba Jabba .... Fools..........

There is only ONE Space Sim that I will play over and over again..................

And thats FREELANCER/CROSSFIRE......( And other variants ;) )

Instead of wasting ur hard earned cash on projects that simply in the end want MORE, of ur hard earned cash........... X(
    Donate to this site instead............. Simples...... :thumbup:
    I for one have donated in the past and will do in the coming future, Helps with the server costs and other bits for OP. ;)
    Chris Roberts is a con man, it will end up as the type of game u put on ur mobile phone...if you want better stuff you BUY it.!!! :thumbdown:
    I for one can't wait for Crossfire 2.0.......... Go for it OP :thumbsup:

Oh by the way, I'll Be Back !!! 8). :zocken:

Cygna

• Looking forward to see you again in space m8 :)

• From what I've been reading & hearing, Star Citizen will NOT be a game I ever have anything to do with....IF it ever even reaches full production. Got better things to spend my money on.

A stubborn enough person can survive just about anything. Rage is a hell of an anaesthetic.

• I don't mind opinions, but please get facts straight about star citizen:
    Taken from their FAQ:

What happens if I don’t have insurance?
    Your character will have to buy a new ship with any credits he has, or if he doesn’t have enough credits fly missions for a third party (both NPC and player) until he’s earned enough to buy his own ship again.

Is Star Citizen “free to play”? A subscription game?To play Star Citizen you need only to buy the initial game. There will never be a monthly charge for usage. Some in-game items may be available as microtransactions, but we will NEVER sell anything that can’t be acquired through honest (and fun!) gameplay.

• Not pay to play but clearly pay to win... which is about the same. Period!

signew.jpg

Twenty percent skill,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,