Information: Norton 360 Causing CF to stop working

There are 6 replies in this Thread. The last Post () by Martind Forlon.

• Hi all, I wanted to try to help others avoid experiencing the same problems and frustrations that I have had for the past week. A little bit of background on what happened to me. I have been playing CF for awhile and wasn't having any problems, a week ago I restarted my computer, and when I tried to run CF mp I got an error message saying Freelancer.exe - Application Error, The application was unable to start correctly (0xc0000005). Click ok to close. So then I tried sp and got an error saying Freelancer.exe - Bad Image C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Freelancer\EXE2\zlib.dll is either not designed to run on Windows or it contains an error. To make a long story short the cause ended up being Norton 360, which prior to this caused no issue with CF, I had in place all firewall settings to allow Freelancer, CF and FLMM, as well as program exemptions for all of these. It mattered not, Norton decided that they would disregard the rules I created which I found in the program logs. There was an update done to the program so I am guessing that something they changed is what started this problem. So just a FYI for anyone that has Norton 360, if you have issues with CF, Norton may be the problem.

Long Story Link index.php?page=Thread&threadID=42449&pageNo=1

**Note** I am running Windows 7 64 bit

Poopstein TM (IOC)Poopstein, (IOC)_Mountain_Man, (IOC)Ghost, (IOC)Lone_Wolf, (IOC)Silencer

Edited once, last by Poopstein: Additional Info ().

• Thanks for the info Poopstein. It would seem this issue of yours has a common ring to it. MS made updates to Win 7 awhile back and that caused problems. AVG also made updates, but while others had issues I didn't and that is because the rules I had in place were not ignored so all was well. I guess one might have to make common practice that anytime there is an update to your OS, AV, or Anti-Malware, that you check and make sure the custom rules for exclusions and exceptions are still in place and working. Glad you got a handle on that so that can play on!

Gearhead10.png

[size=10]Cooler Master HAF 912 Chassis; ASUS PRIME B660M - A WIFI D4; Intel Core i7-12700F,25MB Cache, LGA1700; Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO; Corsair 16GB (4x4GB 2000 MHZ DDR3); 1NIVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 Gaming OG 12G Ti, Corsair RM 1000 PSU, Micron 256GB SSD (Win 11), WD Caviar Black HDD (640GB - Win 11 64), Samsung SyncMaster BX2440 (Digital)

The Personal World Clock

• Allright, I had - beside some other RL-probs - some time ago exactly the same problem as described by Poopstein but didn't had the time to go through a similar "Long Story", affright of having to do what you have done : strting a "rebirth" of my PC with installing OS 'n everythingelse anew. :pinch:

Fortunatly I managed without it. :) Therefore I will tell you what I have done, since it still took less time (for me) than reinstalling my OS.

First I properly (running the unistall.exes as well as using system manager and CCleaner) deinstalled each 'n every programm related to Freelancer and Crossfire starting with the mod deactivation in FLMM, then all the tools (HardCMP, Freelancer Account Manager etc.), then FLMM, then Crossfire and Freelancer as the last.

Then
    I took the exsessive way of deleting each 'n everything called Freelancer, My Games, Crossfire, CF 1.9, FLMM, Freelancer Account Manager, FAM, etc, everything related to Freelancer from my main drive C: by hand, search function as well as CCleaner (Fortunatly I have a second drive, where I can back-up and store everything. ^^ )

Next step was doing the same with the registry (by hand as well as with CCleaner).

Due to the possibitity of "corruption" of old files I carry around for years now I downloaded each 'n every programm anew, most imprtant : CF 1.9.exe and FLMM 1.31. :D

During the "usual" installation process I encountered something completely new - even for my history of re-, de-, installing :P . And I might second that Norten 360 is/was the reason. Even if the download was without probs on runnung the FLMM instal.exe Norton stpped the process and DELETED the FLMM installer as a threat. 8|

That meant : back to point one on this list. :(
    But before installation of anything I exempted all the programs .exes from any possible attention by Norten 360 in giving them clearance from it.

During the installation process after each step ( first Freelancer, then FLMM, then installing CF 1.9 in FLMM ) I removed the "write protection" from all installed files, esp. from every .exe I could find and then rebooted my PC. Of course I took attention on runnung each and every step/.exe as administrator.

Before activating CF in FLMM I deactivated Norton Firewall, Antivirus and network control. After activation - again check for "write protection" and reboot.

On first running Freelancer.exe - ofc as administrator - I had some requests from Norton on allowing Freelancer and Launcher web-access, which I granted.
    After the first run of the "old" launcher I was thrown back to desktop.
    I run Freelancer.exe as admin again. Again questions from Norton and again I granted access.
    The "new" launcher appeared. ... And ...I happily made it to the Crossfire main menu ! 8o

The same fortunate happening on the second run of the "new" launcher, now without any questions. Now I'll see tonight 'n the next days if REALLY everything works as it should and will try to get a bit of "training" before CF 2.0 will be released. :D

Maybe Gearhead 's right and there should be a sticky, a notion or something alike in "Technical Problems" not only for Norton but as a general rule or recommandation to check exclusions and exeptions of the "security" that works on someones PC (OS-wise, Anti-Virus, etc.)

Superint_siggy_new.png

Am I a man ? I am. So - I got married. House, wife, children,everything.
    The FUULL catastrophy !

"MY MACHINE": Win 7 prof 64bit , i7 3770K , vtx HD7950 X-edition , 8 GB DDR3-2400 , Sandisk 256 ultra , 2TB Seagate, BenQ BL2710PT (2560x1440)

• What i did was this in Windows 8.1:

After each installation (Freelancer, FLMM and CF), i right click each folder, properties and then security.
    Then change the "user" properties to "full control" on each folders.

Right clicked and run as administrator and removing write protection did not worked for me btw...

Thanks...

• Maybe Windows 8.1 and Windows 7 64bit are different .... regarding the "how to go" of the installation of Freelancer, Crossfire and perhaps similar older games.

Well, there are a damn awful lot of "differences" between Windows 8, 7, Vista etc. :verrueckt:
    It seems that in ALL the new microsoft OS past "GOOD OL' XP" older games require some "special attention" on installation.

But probably the main point about this thread is how and that security programs can affect your Freelancer/CF installation.
    On first installation as well as after some "updates" of other changes of your security suite.

Superint_siggy_new.png

Am I a man ? I am. So - I got married. House, wife, children,everything.
    The FUULL catastrophy !

"MY MACHINE": Win 7 prof 64bit , i7 3770K , vtx HD7950 X-edition , 8 GB DDR3-2400 , Sandisk 256 ultra , 2TB Seagate, BenQ BL2710PT (2560x1440)

• I'm having the same problem and NucNuc's solution doesn't work for me, any suggestions? I am using windows 7 if that helps any

• Hello Ben119, you also have Norton AV? .. if yes, then you need to find a way how to set FL/CF files to exceptions. Maybe can work if you set (if is possible) whole folders (Freelancer and FLMM) to exceptions, then shut down Norton and do clean installation for CF (How I install/reinstall this mod?)

Problem here is Norton AV, not the operation system. I have installed CF 1.9 on 2 PCs with Win7 and both works smoothly (but I do not have Norton - fortunately)

Edit by
    I slightly updated above mentioned FAQ entry, hope it can help. There is important that AV needs to ignore whole Freelancer folder, because Freelancer.exe which is in /EXE folder is not the one which is used for CF play (is used Freelancer.exe from temporary /EXE2 folder <- security reasons)