FL Mod Manager MP won't start, application error from Freelancer.exe

There are 36 replies in this Thread. The last Post () by Ben119.

• Thanks again for help, I followed your instructions exactly as written. No luck :( I don't have any errors come up now, but when I try to play FLMM just closes and nothing happens. I tried to run from shortcut too, as well as from start menu, and results are the same. Also CF Installer did install to FLMM.

***Update*** Did everything all over again including downloading all files over again and deleting original downloads in case of corruption. Installing the CF 1.9 is what causes game to not work, why? I don't know, but I went into game using FLMM prior to starting CF install and download and everything worked fine. Can this be graphics related? I don't think so but the reason I ask is because I did have to update the flconfig database with my card info the last time, but game did run without doing that originally. I apologize for the time this is taking, I do not want to inconvenience anyone by asking for help.

***Update*** After letting the mod patch I am back to getting the same error as before. Freelancer.exe - Application Error, The application was unable to start correctly (0xc0000005). Click ok to close

Poopstein TM (IOC)Poopstein, (IOC)_Mountain_Man, (IOC)Ghost, (IOC)Lone_Wolf, (IOC)Silencer

Edited 2 times, last by Poopstein: Update ().

• have you deleted this fl folder in documents? (and this before you start cf ... if you tried first start vanilla fl, it will create its own fl folder in documents)

• Hi Poopstein,

You're probably having leftovers after your uninstallatios. If you to clean them up, you could take a look here: index.php?page=Thread&postID=333847#post333847 , works every single time for me.

And also this message indicates that your CF is being blocked. Are your Windows Firewall and Antivirus(Windows Defender) turned off? Check if they are blocking your game.

• Thanks for the advice. I did exactly as the instructions in the link suggested and same problem :( As for the Firewall I use Norton 360, good or bad idk, but CF is an allowed process in the firewall settings, windows firewall and defender are deactivated. I even tried to disable the Norton firewall as a test and have the same issue. I really don't know the problem but I am starting to get frustrated :cursing: As I have said before I am not a computer expert but I do know my way around one to some degree so I am somewhat confident that I am doing things correctly. One thing that is strange is that upon running FLMM the first time after this process the I get the zlib.dll error, when I go into freelancer exe I notice that there are two zlib.dll files, I copy the file from CF into this file and the error disappears, but then I get the other one.

Poopstein TM (IOC)Poopstein, (IOC)_Mountain_Man, (IOC)Ghost, (IOC)Lone_Wolf, (IOC)Silencer

• Hi Poopstein. Quick question, after reading this thread over I didn't see an answer to my question, which is: is the FLMM that you are installing one that you have had on the PC for awhile or is it a fresh download? I had issues with mine awhile back (different than yours) and started to suspect that my DL was corrupted. I dumped (delete) the DL I had and downloaded a new one. Issues resolved. Just something to check if you haven't already. Good Luck!

Gearhead10.png

[size=10]Cooler Master HAF 912 Chassis; ASUS PRIME B660M - A WIFI D4; Intel Core i7-12700F,25MB Cache, LGA1700; Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO; Corsair 16GB (4x4GB 2000 MHZ DDR3); 1NIVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 Gaming OG 12G Ti, Corsair RM 1000 PSU, Micron 256GB SSD (Win 11), WD Caviar Black HDD (640GB - Win 11 64), Samsung SyncMaster BX2440 (Digital)

The Personal World Clock

• Gearhead has a point, your installation file(s) might have been corrupted all along and you should re-download them and try again.

Even if you have disabled Norton's Firewall, there are other protection components in it that could have blocked your game, for example HIPS(Host Intrusion Prevention System, if it even has one) or any other protection module. You should include your entire game folder in its every exception list(AV, HIPS etc.) and see if it fixes it. If you try to close the entire Norton, it could fail because some AVs are protected to be closed in order if any malware tries to disable your antivirus, but including your whole FL folder into its every exception list might tells us if the problem is coming from there.

Also from what I've been reading about this problem is that it could also be caused by infection, corrupted files and windows updates. Since you've done a system restore and the updates are already "clarified", you should do a scan with these two:
    Dr.Web CureIt! — download free anti-virus! Cure viruses, Best free anti-virus scanner! (while configuring what to scan, include your whole C directory as well).
    Malwarebytes | Free Anti-Malware & Internet Security Software

I know you've already done a scan, but you should try with these two. After that, download the mod and FLMM again as suggested and see if it would work. You might as well use the Revo again to remove any leftovers if you intend to do another re-install with the new downloaded files.

• Thanks again everyone I really appreciate all of the help as I really do not want to quit playing CF. So to Gearheads question, no I did not re-download FLMM, I will do that tonight when I get home. Cryzis I will use those two programs and see if they uncover anything. As nfor the firewall I will work on that too, so it should be the frrelancer file, CF file and FLMM file correct?

• Poopstein in short, yes. Open you AV and there should be a sub-menu selection list and the exclusions list should be listed. If your AV has multiple components then there may be a list for each component. Ensure that Freelance, Crossfire 1.9 and Freelancer Mod Manager (FLMM) are listed. Your AV should show you the specific format that you have to use to add them. Good Luck!

Gearhead10.png

[size=10]Cooler Master HAF 912 Chassis; ASUS PRIME B660M - A WIFI D4; Intel Core i7-12700F,25MB Cache, LGA1700; Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO; Corsair 16GB (4x4GB 2000 MHZ DDR3); 1NIVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 Gaming OG 12G Ti, Corsair RM 1000 PSU, Micron 256GB SSD (Win 11), WD Caviar Black HDD (640GB - Win 11 64), Samsung SyncMaster BX2440 (Digital)

The Personal World Clock

• Well I am happy to report that I am back up and running. :D The solution was deleting everything on computer and reinstalling Windows 7 operating system. Thanks everyone for all of the help. :)

• :thumbup: That's good to hear! and wb^

You probably had corrupted files.

• Wow, I am beyond frustrated now. Restarted computer and same problem again. I am lost.

Tried deactivating CF in FLMM and get the following message:

0 files restored and 0 directories deleted
    Error: problem deactivating 'Crossfire Mod 1.9 Client Edition'
    Warning: Unable to un-rename file; 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Freelancer\DATA\FX\sarmablue.txm.flmmbak' doesn't exist
    Warning: Unable to un-rename file; 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Freelancer\DATA\FX\sarma.txm.flmmbak' doesn't exist
    Warning: Unable to un-rename file; 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Freelancer\DATA\SOLAR\STARSPHERE\cf_starsphere_rh06.cmp.flmmbak' doesn't exist
    Warning: Unable to un-rename file; 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Freelancer\DATA\SOLAR\STARSPHERE\cf_starsphere_rh05.cmp.flmmbak' doesn't exist
    Warning: Unable to un-rename file; 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Freelancer\DATA\SOLAR\STARSPHERE\cf_starsphere_rh01.cmp.flmmbak' doesn't exist
    Warning: Unable to un-rename file; 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Freelancer\DATA\SOLAR\STARSPHERE\cf_starsphere_li03.cmp.flmmbak' doesn't exist
    Warning: Unable to un-rename file; 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Freelancer\DATA\SOLAR\STARSPHERE\cf_starsphere_li02.cmp.flmmbak' doesn't exist
    Warning: Unable to un-rename file; 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Freelancer\DATA\SOLAR\STARSPHERE\cf_starsphere_li01.cmp.flmmbak' doesn't exist
    Warning: Unable to un-rename file; 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Freelancer\DATA\SOLAR\STARSPHERE\cf_starsphere_ku07.cmp.flmmbak' doesn't exist
    Warning: Unable to un-rename file; 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Freelancer\DATA\SOLAR\STARSPHERE\cf_starsphere_ku05.cmp.flmmbak' doesn't exist
    Warning: Unable to un-rename file; 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Freelancer\DATA\SOLAR\STARSPHERE\cf_starsphere_ku04.cmp.flmmbak' doesn't exist
    Warning: Unable to un-rename file; 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Freelancer\DATA\SOLAR\STARSPHERE\cf_starsphere_ku03.cmp.flmmbak' doesn't exist
    Warning: Unable to un-rename file; 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Freelancer\DATA\SOLAR\STARSPHERE\cf_starsphere_ku02.cmp.flmmbak' doesn't exist
    Warning: Unable to un-rename file; 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Freelancer\DATA\SOLAR\STARSPHERE\cf_starsphere_ku01.cmp.flmmbak' doesn't exist
    Warning: Unable to un-rename file; 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Freelancer\DATA\SOLAR\STARSPHERE\cf_starsphere_iw04.cmp.flmmbak' doesn't exist
    Warning: Unable to un-rename file; 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Freelancer\DATA\SOLAR\STARSPHERE\cf_starsphere_iw01.cmp.flmmbak' doesn't exist
    Warning: Unable to un-rename file; 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Freelancer\DATA\SOLAR\STARSPHERE\cf_starsphere_ew04.cmp.flmmbak' doesn't exist
    Warning: Unable to un-rename file; 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Freelancer\DATA\SOLAR\STARSPHERE\cf_starsphere_ew03.cmp.flmmbak' doesn't exist
    Warning: Unable to un-rename file; 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Freelancer\DATA\SOLAR\STARSPHERE\cf_starsphere_ew02.cmp.flmmbak' doesn't exist
    Warning: Unable to un-rename file; 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Freelancer\DATA\SOLAR\STARSPHERE\cf_starsphere_bw05.cmp.flmmbak' doesn't exist
    Warning: Unable to un-rename file; 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Freelancer\DATA\SOLAR\STARSPHERE\cf_starsphere_bw04.cmp.flmmbak' doesn't exist
    Warning: Unable to un-rename file; 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Freelancer\DATA\SOLAR\STARSPHERE\cf_starsphere_bw03.cmp.flmmbak' doesn't exist
    Warning: Unable to un-rename file; 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Freelancer\DATA\SOLAR\STARSPHERE\cf_starsphere_bw02.cmp.flmmbak' doesn't exist
    Warning: Unable to un-rename file; 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Freelancer\DATA\SOLAR\STARSPHERE\cf_starsphere_br06.cmp.flmmbak' doesn't exist
    Warning: Unable to un-rename file; 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Freelancer\DATA\SOLAR\STARSPHERE\cf_starsphere_br05.cmp.flmmbak' doesn't exist
    Warning: Unable to un-rename file; 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Freelancer\DATA\SOLAR\STARSPHERE\cf_starsphere_br04.cmp.flmmbak' doesn't exist
    Warning: Unable to un-rename file; 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Freelancer\DATA\SOLAR\STARSPHERE\cf_starsphere_br03.cmp.flmmbak' doesn't exist
    Warning: Unable to un-rename file; 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Freelancer\DATA\SOLAR\STARSPHERE\cf_starsphere_br02.cmp.flmmbak' doesn't exist
    Warning: Unable to un-rename file; 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Freelancer\DATA\SOLAR\STARSPHERE\cf_starsphere_br01.cmp.flmmbak' doesn't exist
    Warning: Unable to un-rename file; 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Freelancer\DATA\SOLAR\STARSPHERE\cf_starsphere_st03b.cmp.flmmbak' doesn't exist
    Warning: Unable to un-rename file; 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Freelancer\DATA\SOLAR\STARSPHERE\cf_starsphere_st03.cmp.flmmbak' doesn't exist
    Warning: Unable to un-rename file; 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Freelancer\DATA\SOLAR\STARSPHERE\cf_starsphere_st02.cmp.flmmbak' doesn't exist
    Warning: Unable to un-rename file; 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Freelancer\DATA\SOLAR\STARSPHERE\cf_starsphere_st01.cmp.flmmbak' doesn't exist
    Warning: Unable to un-rename file; 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Freelancer\DATA\SOLAR\STARSPHERE\cf_starsphere_rh04.cmp.flmmbak' doesn't exist
    Warning: Unable to un-rename file; 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Freelancer\DATA\SOLAR\STARSPHERE\cf_starsphere_rh03.cmp.flmmbak' doesn't exist
    Warning: Unable to un-rename file; 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Freelancer\DATA\SOLAR\STARSPHERE\cf_starsphere_rh02.cmp.flmmbak' doesn't exist
    Warning: Unable to un-rename file; 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Freelancer\DATA\SOLAR\STARSPHERE\cf_starsphere_li05.cmp.flmmbak' doesn't exist
    Warning: Unable to un-rename file; 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Freelancer\DATA\SOLAR\STARSPHERE\cf_starsphere_li04.cmp.flmmbak' doesn't exist
    Warning: Unable to un-rename file; 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Freelancer\DATA\SOLAR\STARSPHERE\cf_starsphere_ku06.cmp.flmmbak' doesn't exist
    Warning: Unable to un-rename file; 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Freelancer\DATA\SOLAR\STARSPHERE\cf_starsphere_iw06.cmp.flmmbak' doesn't exist
    Warning: Unable to un-rename file; 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Freelancer\DATA\SOLAR\STARSPHERE\cf_starsphere_iw05.cmp.flmmbak' doesn't exist
    Warning: Unable to un-rename file; 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Freelancer\DATA\SOLAR\STARSPHERE\cf_starsphere_iw03.cmp.flmmbak' doesn't exist
    Warning: Unable to un-rename file; 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Freelancer\DATA\SOLAR\STARSPHERE\cf_starsphere_iw02.cmp.flmmbak' doesn't exist
    Warning: Unable to un-rename file; 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Freelancer\DATA\SOLAR\STARSPHERE\cf_starsphere_hi02.cmp.flmmbak' doesn't exist
    Warning: Unable to un-rename file; 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Freelancer\DATA\SOLAR\STARSPHERE\cf_starsphere_hi01.cmp.flmmbak' doesn't exist
    Warning: Unable to un-rename file; 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Freelancer\DATA\SOLAR\STARSPHERE\cf_starsphere_ew06.cmp.flmmbak' doesn't exist
    Warning: Unable to un-rename file; 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Freelancer\DATA\SOLAR\STARSPHERE\cf_starsphere_ew05.cmp.flmmbak' doesn't exist
    Warning: Unable to un-rename file; 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Freelancer\DATA\SOLAR\STARSPHERE\cf_starsphere_bw10.cmp.flmmbak' doesn't exist
    Warning: Unable to un-rename file; 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Freelancer\DATA\SOLAR\STARSPHERE\cf_starsphere_bw09.cmp.flmmbak' doesn't exist
    Warning: Unable to un-rename file; 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Freelancer\DATA\SOLAR\STARSPHERE\cf_starsphere_bw08.cmp.flmmbak' doesn't exist
    Warning: Unable to un-rename file; 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Freelancer\DATA\SOLAR\STARSPHERE\cf_starsphere_bw07.cmp.flmmbak' doesn't exist
    Warning: Unable to un-rename file; 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Freelancer\DATA\SOLAR\STARSPHERE\cf_starsphere_bw06.cmp.flmmbak' doesn't exist
    Warning: Unable to un-rename file; 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Freelancer\DATA\SOLAR\STARSPHERE\cf_starsphere_bw01.cmp.flmmbak' doesn't exist
    Warning: Unable to un-rename file; 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Freelancer\DATA\SOLAR\STARSPHERE\starsphere_rh05.cmp.flmmbak' doesn't exist
    Warning: Unable to un-rename file; 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Freelancer\DATA\SOLAR\STARSPHERE\starsphere_li01.cmp.flmmbak' doesn't exist
    Warning: Unable to un-rename file; 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Freelancer\DATA\SOLAR\STARSPHERE\starsphere_ku07.cmp.flmmbak' doesn't exist
    Warning: Unable to un-rename file; 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Freelancer\DATA\SOLAR\STARSPHERE\starsphere_ku03.cmp.flmmbak' doesn't exist
    Warning: Unable to un-rename file; 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Freelancer\DATA\SOLAR\STARSPHERE\starsphere_ku02.cmp.flmmbak' doesn't exist
    Warning: Unable to un-rename file; 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Freelancer\DATA\SOLAR\STARSPHERE\starsphere_ku01.cmp.flmmbak' doesn't exist
    Warning: Unable to un-rename file; 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Freelancer\DATA\SCREENS\cfcursor1.txm.flmmbak' doesn't exist
    Warning: Unable to un-rename file; 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Freelancer\DATA\SCREENS\cursor.txm.flmmbak' doesn't exist
    Warning: Unable to un-rename file; 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Freelancer\DATA\SCRIPTS\INTRO\cfsirius3.thn.flmmbak' doesn't exist
    Warning: Unable to un-rename file; 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Freelancer\DATA\SCRIPTS\INTRO\cfsirius2.thn.flmmbak' doesn't exist
    Warning: Unable to un-rename file; 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Freelancer\DATA\SCRIPTS\INTRO\cfsirius1.thn.flmmbak' doesn't exist
    Warning: Unable to un-rename file; 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Freelancer\DATA\INTERFACE\HUD\hud_nnbox5.cmp.flmmbak' doesn't exist
    Warning: Unable to un-rename file; 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Freelancer\DATA\AUDIO\ambienteB.utf.flmmbak' doesn't exist
    Warning: Unable to un-rename file; 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Freelancer\DATA\AUDIO\ambienteA.utf.flmmbak' doesn't exist
    Warning: Unable to un-rename file; 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Freelancer\DATA\FONTS\rich_fonts.ini.flmmbak' doesn't exist
    Warning: Unable to un-rename file; 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Freelancer\DATA\FONTS\fonts.ini.flmmbak' doesn't exist
    Warning: Unable to un-rename file; 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Freelancer\DATA\AUDIO\MUSIC\NEW_DEFEAT.WAV.flmmbak' doesn't exist
    Warning: Unable to un-rename file; 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Freelancer\DATA\characters\bodies\cfli_hatcher_body.dfm.flmmbak' doesn't exist
    Warning: Unable to un-rename file; 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Freelancer\DATA\characters\bodies\li_hatcher_body.dfm.flmmbak' doesn't exist
    Warning: Unable to un-rename file; 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Freelancer\DATA\characters\bodies\trentbody.dfm.flmmbak' doesn't exist
    Warning: Unable to un-rename file; 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Freelancer\DATA\characters\heads\trenthead.dfm.flmmbak' doesn't exist
    Warning: Unable to un-rename file; 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Freelancer\DATA\characters\bodies\pl_trent_body.dfm.flmmbak' doesn't exist
    Warning: Unable to un-rename file; 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Freelancer\DATA\characters\heads\pi_pirate5_head.dfm.flmmbak' doesn't exist

I then uninstalled the mod, reinstalled and get the following error:

Error: problem activating 'Crossfire Mod 1.9 Client Edition'
    Error: SHCopyFile failed ('C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Freelancer\EXE\resources.dll.flmmbak' to 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Freelancer\EXE\_resources.dll')
    Error: problem activating 'Crossfire Mod 1.9 Client Edition'
    Error: SHCopyFile failed ('C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Freelancer\EXE\resources.dll.flmmbak' to 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Freelancer\EXE\_resources.dll')

Edited 2 times, last by Poopstein: more info ().

• this is rly weird. But:

1) CF can not be deactivated (never). You only can uninstall FL or delete FL folder and use vanilla backup (if you saved one) and remove activation key from FLMM look here

2) SHSCopy error happen due files "write protection" ... FAQ (this OPTIONAL step).

• Ok thanks for that info, I didn't want to reinstall my op system again, so thought I would try other options first, but looks like that's where I am headed, although this may be my last time doing so honestly. I really don't get whats happening. I allowed all programs through Norton firewall. No files are in quarantine, so I don't think that is my problem.

• You shouldn't have to reload you Op system. But since you made the attempt to yesterday the only fix now is to uninstall FL, and FLMM which will include the CF 1.9 mod. Once that is all done, make sure that the Freelance directory is also deleted. Use your "find" function in the "start" to search for Freelancer, FLMM and Crossfire 1.9. A word of caution, look at each file carefully to make sure you aren't deleting a file that YOU created for something else, like maybe a backup of your original FL installation. Once you have done that, run Ccleaner, both the Cleaner and the Registry tools. You will be surprised at what gets left behind. Once that is done, reboot you PC. Then follow the directions that Martind_Forlon posted earlier. Keep in mind his advise to make a copy of your freelancer installation before you activate and store it somewhere it won't inadvertently get deleted. I have seen your problem you last listed and it is due to files that are broken. Most of that can be prevented by removing the "read only" protection on the Freelancer and FLMM directory's prior to installing the mod into FLMM. I also remove the "read only" from the Mod directory as well after it is installed but before it is activated. Hope this works out for you. Good Luck~

Gearhead10.png

The Personal World Clock

• Thanks again all for trying to help. So once again the only solution that worked was reinstalling the op system, however, I figured out the problem, which I will make a new post about, but it was Norton, even though i exempted all programs from firewall and added to the list of programs to ignore. Apparently the latest update from Norton changed something in the program, I went into the firewall history and the logs showed that the firewall rules I created were being ignored by Norton, so what the hell is the point of even having the rules then, needless to say I am absolutely finished with that company. Prior to me discovering the CF mod, my hardrive crashed, I could not recover anything from it, however I had Norton backup setup.....great right? Wrong, yes the backup was in place and yes it was up to date, however I was unable to restore my files, the pictures were all I really cared about, so I contacted support, spent several hours and several phone calls with them and guess what? They couldn't figure out the problem, so I lost everything, this is the last straw for me. So thanks again everyone and I am sorry for any inconvenience. See you in space.

• I've heard that there are programs that are able to recover the data even if your hard drive is beyond repair, so you may want to look into that...

I have also lost my HDD a long time ago and what I cared most about were the pictures too and I know how you must feel right now.