FL Mod Manager MP won't start, application error from Freelancer.exe

There are 36 replies in this Thread. The last Post () by Ben119.

• My computer restarted this morning and now I am unable to play game. Error message says Freelancer.exe - Application Error, The application was unable to start correctly (0xc0000005). Click ok to close. I have tried restarting and have same issues. Searched forum for this error and didn't find anything. Any help would be appreciated.

When I try to run in Sp I get an error saying Freelancer.exe - Bad Image
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Freelancer\EXE2\zlib.dll is either not designed to run on Windows or it contains an error.

Poopstein TM (IOC)Poopstein, (IOC)_Mountain_Man, (IOC)Ghost, (IOC)Lone_Wolf, (IOC)Silencer

Edited once, last by Poopstein: Additional info ().

• And I uninstalled and reinstalled everything and still have same prob. Not sure what to do now.

Poopstein TM (IOC)Poopstein, (IOC)_Mountain_Man, (IOC)Ghost, (IOC)Lone_Wolf, (IOC)Silencer

• there is a zlib.dll inside the mods flmm folder
    take that and overwrite the one in your freelancer directory

signew.jpg

cfmoddblogo.png5904.png5904.png
    http://www.moddb.com/scripts/topsite.php?ts=4766

Only dead fish swim with the stream.
    Don't discuss with idiots. They only drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience there.

This is ten percent luck,
    Twenty percent skill,
    Fifteen percent concentrated power of will,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,
    And a hundred percent reason to remember the name!

• Did that, and now I get the first message if I try Sp or Mp. Although now currently launcher keeps saying Mp unavailable.

• something must be totally damaged on your installation

signew.jpg

cfmoddblogo.png5904.png5904.png
    http://www.moddb.com/scripts/topsite.php?ts=4766

Only dead fish swim with the stream.
    Don't discuss with idiots. They only drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience there.

This is ten percent luck,
    Twenty percent skill,
    Fifteen percent concentrated power of will,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,
    And a hundred percent reason to remember the name!

• I ran the drive check too and same issue. I uninstalled everything and reinstalled, same issues :( I even did a system restore which was from the 25th, and everything was working great at that time, same thing. I am not a computer expert so any other ideas are welcome. Is there a different way to uninstall everything, maybe something residual is causing it?

• Its maybe month ago when some of windows updates made real mess with downloaded files. Every downloaded file have now (NTFS disk) in properties new warning about content downloaded from other computer and need to be "removed" prior used. Also is very good idea to remove protection from everything when you install/activate mod (vanilla FL installation, Crossfire folder into FLMM, FL folder after is mod activated).

And I googled a bit for your error and here is what I found: link

another you can find when used search for [google]zlib.dll is either not designed to run on Windows or it contains an error[/google].

• please run
    sfc /scannow
    to verify your Windows installation.

Sfc /scannow will inspect all of the important Windows files on your computer, including Windows DLL files. If System File Checker finds an issue with any of these protected files, it will replace it.
    You will need a valid Windows installation source. If it's not found automatic, the program will ask for the source.

Edit by
    You did run an Antivirus scan, right ?

CF RP: Probably smuggling something or exploring the universe
    EM char: Event_Manager_Silverfox

9248-cebc88b9.png

• I did do virus scan, I have Norton, no issues detected. The dll error is not coming up after doing what swat suggested and overwriting that file.

• Quarantine is empty :( Thanks for all the help to you guys btw. This is frustrating to say the least, I don't want to stop playing.

• I went to properties like Martind suggested and could not find where to remove any protections.

• Hmm .. just curious a bit: you start CF through FLMM?? (thread name suggest this) ... I use normal shortcut for Freelancer.exe

about this protection: link

Can you please tell what is doing your CF installation now? (you now have Muliplayer in gray and therefore can't access it? , some error messages?)

• I do start through FLLM, that is all I have ever done. Currently FLMM starts without issues, I now have option of SP or MP, when I select either of these I get Freelancer.exe - Application Error, The application was unable to start correctly (0xc0000005). Click ok to close

• Check this: Discovery Gaming Community

Maybe this issue is related to delete Freelancer "save" folder in documents (Best you can do is rename this folder each time when you reinstall mod ... FL/CF will create new one once first started, and you can copy your keys settings or SP saves back.

• Hmmm thats interesting, tyvm for that, it is the exact same error. I only have one freelancer file in docs and its from today, When you uninstall it asks if you want to remove all data, I selected yes. So maybe that removed it on its own? I did a test this last time that I had not checked before. I deleted everything. Installed complete freelancer again, restarted comp, started game, worked fine, entered my FL id, chose MP, no servers come up, but it took me into selection location. Then I installed CF again, no issues on installing, restarted again, installed FLMM, copied CF mod folder into FLMM mod folder, started FLMM, activated mod, and I am currently waiting for patch to complete, fingers crossed.

***Update*** Same exact problem :( well I am done for today, I spent all day trying to figure this out. If I did anything wrong in installation order let me know, but think I did everything the same as when it worked. Thank you all for the help. If I don't fly again, I want to say that it was nice to meet everyone, and thanks to OP for a great mod. Game was sooooo much more fun than original.

Edited once, last by Poopstein: Update ().

• data in documents are never removed by 'its own', they need to be removed by You. They are here: Documents/MyGames/Frelancer/Accts/SinglePlayer. This whole Freelancer folder need to be renamed, deleted or moved before you start mod for a first time after reinstall.

One more question: CF insttaller did not installed mod into flmm/mods directory? this is how this should be

As I re-read your post again: please follow next install order:

1) install vanilla FL (remove from whole folder write protection and made COPY for this vanilla FL folder to separate place (will explain later)
    2) install FLMM
    2a (optional) reboot PC
    3) install CF (it will ask for flmm location and will instal into flmm/mods/crossfire1.9 directory
    4) (optional) remove write protection from this installed mod
    5) run flmm as administrator! and activate CF
    6) (optional) remove write protection from activated CF
    7) DELETE previous FL save folder in documents (like I mentioned above)
    7b (optional) reboot PC
    8) run cf as admin (is rly good idea run cf via shortcut to freelancer.exe. Using flmm for run cf is not necessary and very likely only lead to troubles (as I vitnessed on one my clan mate). For this shortcut you can easily set 'run as admin' in file properties)

... if you will download any installation file from net, check if there is not this 'unblock' option in properties.