Framerate drops on older cards

There are 3 replies in this Thread. The last Post () by thelostone.

• Hi,

I did some searching through the forums but couldn't find a similar issue.

I was wondering whether there's a way to turn off smoke effects completely or at least mitigate their FPS impact.

Playing SP story mode. While I find it extremely difficult (to the effect of killing the fun somewhat), it's not the real issue.

My frame rate hovers around 50ish normally, but when the enemies' ships start leaving behind smoke trails it quickly drops to around 20, causing me to miss the enemy long enough for them to repair. It's tantalizing in the most literal, mythical sense. :D

I have an ATI x1250, which is high-end for vanilla, but apparently barely passable for CF. I find it a bit odd that only the smoke effects (of all things) cause frame rate issues this severe.

I've tried lowering all the manipulable settings to the lowest quality and my resolution to 640*480 (yeah, I know) but it's still unbearable. Ironically, the whole thing works perfectly fine on 1280*1024 until there's smoke.

Thanks in advance!

Edited once, last by alymdrictels: not Information but Help needed ().

• Hello Alymdrictels,
    please try different positions of "Effects Detail" slider in Options -> Performance tab (changes are applied instantly so you can check it right in game).

Pressing shift+F12 while fighting or flying through gas clouds might also boost your performance - this turns off the Advanced Shader feature not supported by vanilla Freelancer.

Hope it helps, and welcome to Crossfire and SWAT community :)

- Wanderer -

Files

• slider.jpg

(1.05 MB, downloaded 15 times, last: )