Intel GMA 950 and Core 2 Duo Mobile T7200

There are 2 replies in this Thread. The last Post () by jman0918.

• I have an aging laptop that I'm thinking about upgrading. The current motherboard will take a Socket M Core 2 Duo CPU 2 ghz Merom Core, and up to 2 gigs DDR2. I have discovered that the current motherboard bios limits the Intel GMA 950's Dynamic Video Memory to 64 MB, so I would need a motherboard swap to get a maximum 224 mb shared video memory available..
    I am curious if Freelancer Crossfire will run if I spend the money. I currently get texture tearing because of the lack of video memory allocated; otherwise, the game runs as well as can be expected on a Merom Celeron.
    Will Freelancer Crossfire 1.9 know that the video memory will increase if needed, or will I still see texture tearing? As in, any words that are on screen become stretched and flash randomly across the view. A bit of research suggests that the list of known devices is updated by the mod.
    Please advise.

AMD A8-3870, Gigabyte Ultra Durable Radeon 6850 & GA-A55-DS2, 4gb G-Skill Ripjaws PC3-14900,
    Coolermaster GeminII S254 w/Blademaster PWM 120mm & 92mm, Rosewill Capstone 650W,
    Acer S201HL & Sony SDM-S74; Characters: RasCryptic, RasMurky, RasGnat, RasSharpie

• Dont spend money on partitial upgrades. Save some more money and get a better laptop. CF1.9 has some further graphical updates and thus needs some more of your memory. But there will be again an option for low graphics as well. So it should be playable with less performance PCs but not in the full beauty it has to offer ;)

signature.png

• For ~$50 I can swap the Intel Celeron M 520 for a Core 2 Duo T7200. We bought the laptop with 1 gb DDR2 so that should be fine.
    I found some modded GMA 950 drivers that enable forced SW T&L in Windows 7; this board is limited to 64 mb shared video instead of the chipset max 224 mb, so I'll fool around with them and leave the motherboard alone.
    Aha! The GMA 950 / Intel 945 enjoys ongoing MD development for software graphics rendering! Something new to try.
    http://forum.9xxssf.info/

AMD A8-3870, Gigabyte Ultra Durable Radeon 6850 & GA-A55-DS2, 4gb G-Skill Ripjaws PC3-14900,
    Coolermaster GeminII S254 w/Blademaster PWM 120mm & 92mm, Rosewill Capstone 650W,
    Acer S201HL & Sony SDM-S74; Characters: RasCryptic, RasMurky, RasGnat, RasSharpie

Edited once, last by jman0918 ().