Mouse lag and extreme sensitivity

There are 11 replies in this Thread. The last Post () by Merciful_Wolf.

• Hello all,

I just downloaded Crossfire 1.7 for the first time, and after struggling a bit, finally got it to work by launching Freelancer Mod Manager 1.31 as the Administrator. But now I have another problem.

In game, my mouse experiences 1) slight lag, and 2) extreme sensitivity in the flight controls. This makes enemy ships almost impossible to target and hit, causes dogfights to last forever, and pretty much cripples the mod experience, since space fights are such an integral part of Freelancer.

Please note that in vanilla Freelancer I did not have these problems and the flight controls all worked perfectly. Also, I'm pretty sure I have the latest drivers for my laptop (Dell Inspiron 1525).

Does anyone know what causes this problem and if there is a ready fix? Is it due to the huge amount of info in the mod? (I experienced a similar mouse lag in the Europa Barbarorum mod for Rome: Total War)

Programming languages are utterly foreign to me, so please use laymen's terms in your explanation, if you have one. ;) Thanks in advance!

• 1rst, why 1.7 ? You have the 1.82 Crossfire version, WAY bigger (over 4 GB) and with Inner Core sector, organic systems, stations, aliens, outer galaxy invasion, years of graph improvements and such, including SinglePlayer and MP .

There is no such thing related with mouse problems, it's a symptom from screen lag issue, which can come from:
    1. Sometimes, with no clear reason, most game mods may start eating 99 % of your CPU, which makes your mouse jump arround instantly after not responding, as well as the screen, which have low fps (Frames/images per second), so everything else jumps too, more or less.
    ------ Solution: Enter Task Manager (CTRL+ALT+DEL) and see if the Freelancer.exe says 90-99% CPU, if so, close the program from the button you'll see there). Once you restart the game it will go ok, even it may happen again later. Usually happens, more, with lower end PCs as I know...

2. The performance of CF ( 1.8x especially) mod have increased a lot, even 10x what original FreeLancer was, due to shaders, bloom, high details background etc. If your PC isn't one of the 'top' ones, which can play other games released last year, then better don't use the performance settings at max.
    ------ Solution: lower the performance settings in the menu, and keep choosing better ones until your screen goes fluent, with no kind of lag, you'll need it in combats.

If CPU goes right, until 4-50 % max for Freelancer, and screen settings (remember the adv shaders or other stuff you may have activated when you activated the mod in FMM), well, try reinstalling the mod, but the right 1.82 one, as the 1.7 is just bugging the patching server.
    Also if your card is 128 Mb or lower, activate the "low card compatibility " mode while activating 1.82, it will make the game work on any PC the vanila one works, without loosing many details :)

Chars: [CFPD]Michael~something (x25), [CFPD]~SQMS~{[(store)]} (x3), [CFPD]xfer, Event~Manager~Michael, StarfIier~EM~Michael, Event_Team_2, [GR]Michael[SP] and a blueprint of [CFPD]Sephirothis

• Thanks Michael, that's helpful info. And actually I was mistaken: I did download/activate version 1.82, not 1.7. I don't think problem #1 that you mentioned is mine, since the cursor wasn't jumping around. It seemed to be, rather, a slight delay between the time I moved the mouse and when the cursor moved. Now, I re-installed everything to try again: meaning, I de-activated CF, uninstalled Freelancer, reinstalled Freelancer, and re-activated CF.

This time, during the reactivation of CF I chose the "low card compatibility" option, because I think my video card is 128mb. And when CF started up, I dropped all the graphics down to their lowest setting, as a control run. Unfortunately the problem was still there, exactly the same as before. I persisted through the first mission ("Avenge the Donau") and managed to destroy all hostiles...but the game wouldn't acknowledge mission success. It continued to flash the "Destroy all hostiles" message even though there were no hostiles any more, and King's ship was just sitting there perfectly still. But anyway, that's a separate bug. Point is, the cursor delay is still there.

For the heck of it I turned graphics back up again, but the problem was still there, just prettier. ;) My laptop is sort of lower-mid-range when it comes to gaming prowess, but it was handling CF's highest graphics okay. The frame rate didn't seem to slow except once during the cinematic of your first ship entering space from Manhattan. Really the only problem I can find is the cursor...oh, and the first mission bug.

• Your simptom leads more to the #1 problem, even it's not jumping sightable at the eye, the delay are micro jumps too....

have you checked Task Manager anyways ? how much CPU and Ram it takes... ;)

Also, be sure you don't have some other video reproducers, skype or programs that use the resources of your PC on the background....

because with all minimized and the mouse still have delay is impossible, even an 1.6 Ghz goes flawless, but the mission not aknowledged one is pointing more that teh PC is too busy with something, a freelancer loop or other programs.

Chars: [CFPD]Michael~something (x25), [CFPD]~SQMS~{[(store)]} (x3), [CFPD]xfer, Event~Manager~Michael, StarfIier~EM~Michael, Event_Team_2, [GR]Michael[SP] and a blueprint of [CFPD]Sephirothis

• "have you checked Task Manager anyways ? how much CPU and Ram it takes... ;)

Also, be sure you don't have some other video reproducers, skype or programs that use the resources of your PC on the background...."

The Task Manager said that CPU usage was around 14% while the mod was running. RAM was about 50%. I didn't have any other programs running in the background, at least none that I'm aware of; not Skype, or IM, or any application running. My power setting is set to High Performance.

I tried again and focused more on what was making flight control so much more touchy than normal Freelancer, and now I think it's not necessarily lag so much as that the ship actually turns too quickly when following the cursor. As in, I move the cursor quickly to follow an enemy in a dogfight, and the ship turns so fast it feels like it's going to overshoot the cursor, and I can rarely steady the ship enough to keep a bead on the enemy (in situations which I could in vanilla). The mouse sensitivity settings only seem to affect how the cursor moves in the menus -- I've tried a couple of different settings, but they never seem to change how the cursor moves during gameplay.

Is this cursor-sensitivity something about the flight mechanics that has been specifically changed for CF? I'm beginning to wonder if it's not my computer's performance, but rather just a part of the mod itself.

• lol !

So you're actually looking for the ship to turn slower ???

Just learn to graduate the turning speed of the ship, comparing it with the distance from the center of the mouse.... you will see how you need that speed later.... and for some it isn't ennough.

• Haha, well it's not like I'm a total noob or anything (nor that I'm some ace); I did complete the vanilla SP campaign quite competently. :P But I was not expecting CF to intentionally deviate from the absolutely pitch-perfect control scheme of vanilla Freelancer. I've replayed the first CF mission a few times now, and however much I try to compensate for the ship wanting to jump and swivel at lightspeed (figuratively) all over the place by moving the cursor more carefully, it's proving just too much of a hassle. Dogfighting simply isn't fun anymore.

But anyway, the larger issue is that other bug I mentioned, where the mod wouldn't acknowledge that I'd completed the first mission "Avenge the Donau." I destroyed all hostiles, but the storyline wouldn't advance. So there I am hovering outside Manhattan, unable to dock with anything or hail any ship (the "dock" ability is grayed out for everything and ships don't respond to hails), and the friendly Liberty ships who fought the Order with me (including King) are literally floating still in space, doing nothing. And because the F1 menu won't appear when I'm in space, the only way to get out is to suicide-crash into Planet Manhattan!

So does anyone else know about this bug, and how to get past it? Even if I could get used to the touchy turn rate, it's kinda pointless if I can't actually access the game world beyond the first dogfight!

P.S. Thanks again for the continued help.

• jumping fast or turning fast... it's not the same so decide your word...

No CF ship is faster than Starflier, some are nearly the same, but not more, so you can see if you have a bug with that 'lightspeed' or simply you ogt one of the fastest CF ships, as take in count that vanilla ships have Not been modifyed to be faster or something.

• But do you know anything about the bug where the mod won't register completion of the first mission? Has anyone else reported that, are there certain conditions that might cause it? It's happened every time I have played so far, and obviously if I can't get past or fix it, then the mod is useless to me. Which would be a pity, since it's looks beautiful and very awesome in every other way.

• The storyline and mod does work, many of us did the singleplayer storyline and even MP storyline...

Your bug must be something at your PC, some cache or sth...

it should get sovled with reinstalling the game (to get read of some data), using teh same savegames .

• Okay, so I did reinstall everything, and that seems to have solved the bug. I'll continue to try out the mod, although it's not as fun when even a simple dogfight with 4 or 5 enemies takes 15+ minutes simply because you're fighting to steady your ship all the time. Oh well -- if I can't get used to it, then no matter, there are other mods to try. Thanks for the help, though. I appreciate it!