How to reduce Crossfire Freelancer Difficulty

There are 45 replies in this Thread. The last Post () by lawmac1.

• I think I Posted this accidently in a wrong forum on this portal

Crossfire is a GREAT mod. I love the entirely new take on the FL Universe. But the SP is EXTREMELY tough.

I know there's no way I can reduce the difficulty level of the game. But Is there anyway I can reduce the number of shields/hull reps for the NPC rats to give an impression of reduced difficulty?
    if I can reduce the number of hull/shield reps they use (only once instead of the 10 odd times they can rep)- I can feel this is will make the gameplay a lot easier.
    There's a file called loadout.ini in the data/ships folder - but changing the values there from 10 to 1 for shields/armor reps on the rats doesn't change anything in game!!!
    This is an example of the change I made (for one ship - I modified this for all the Rogues Ships for reducing the difficulty in the NewYork missions):

Taken from the loadout.ini file.

[Loadout]
    nickname = MSN01b_Liberty_Rogue
    archetype = pi_fighter
    equip = ge_pf_engine_01
    equip = npc_shield01_mark01, HpShield01
    equip = infinite_power
    equip = ge_s_scanner_02
    equip = ge_s_tractor_01
    equip = armor_scale_-4
    equip = fc_lr_gun01_mark01, HpWeapon01
    equip = fc_lr_gun01_mark01, HpWeapon02
    equip = fc_lr_gun01_mark01, HpWeapon03
    equip = ge_s_cm_01, HpCM01
    cargo = ge_s_cm_01_ammo, 20
    equip = LargeWhiteSpecial, HpHeadLight
    equip = SlowSmallPurple, HpRunningLight01
    equip = SlowSmallPurple, HpRunningLight02
    equip = SlowSmallPurple, HpRunningLight03
    equip = SlowSmallPurple, HpRunningLight04
    equip = SlowSmallPurple, HpRunningLight05
    equip = SlowSmallPurple, HpRunningLight06
    equip = SlowSmallPurple, HpRunningLight07
    equip = contrail01, HpContrail01
    equip = contrail01, HpContrail02
    equip = DockingLightRedSmall, HpDocklight01
    equip = DockingLightRedSmall, HpDocklight02
    cargo = ge_s_battery_01, 1
    cargo = ge_s_repair_01, 1

cargo = CFPILOTCORPORAL, 1

The highlighted entry USED to be:
    cargo = ge_s_battery_01, 10
    cargo = ge_s_repair_01, 10

I was sure this would reduce the Rats to rep their shields/hull only ONCE hence killing them easier and reducing the overall difficulty of the SP missions. But this didn't seem to have any effect in game.
    Can anyone help? (or suggest a mod that will do this for me?) :S

• 1st : welcome to the Portal !
    2nd : Please post your topic only once in the correct thread (use the edit button to mark that your thread must be deleted by a moderator if you made a mistake)
    3rd : CF DIfficulty is indeed harder than normal but its not impossible to make the storyline. I dont know how you could make it easier by modding the files but i suggest you take more time trading goods in Ny to equip your ship with better equip before responding to juni (you can take the time you want before going on a mission...) The difficulty will make you better trust me !

• Thanks for the tips - but I'd STILL like to know how to change the difficulty if its all the same. I'm thinking of creating a mod for the same - always good to have options !!
    Any suggestions?

• hmmm i think OP will not liek this idea of making a mod to make his game easier ^^

Instead of modding the game why dont you get online in multiplayer and profit of experienced players' help ? You'll find that its much better than flying in solo in SP ! And the CF story quests (finding Earth, Altair and the Inner Core) are in MP too !

• hmmm i think OP will not liek this idea of making a mod to make his game easier ^^

Instead of modding the game why dont you get online in multiplayer and profit of experienced players' help ? You'll find that its much better than flying in solo in SP ! And the CF story quests (finding Earth, Altair and the Inner Core) are in MP too !

I just might at that! Why would the creators feel at odds with adjusting difficulty of SP? Its not going to impact other players. In fact, I saw a post on the NET where some dude has managed to fix this with the mod. He uploaded it to a link thats long dead - so is he IMO.
    So its not exactly mojo.
    I would like to know what files to change to get this done etc just to be on top of things - any expert opinion would boost things. :)

• i generally dont like when ppl manipulate my mod and cause serious errors this way and as you have meanwhile noticed it is not that easy doing changes on it

btw. you should read the licence agreement again, that doesnt allow such changes aswell as it does not allow to host my mod or offer it to download without my approval

signew.jpg

cfmoddblogo.png5904.png5904.png
    http://www.moddb.com/scripts/topsite.php?ts=4766

Only dead fish swim with the stream.
    Don't discuss with idiots. They only drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience there.

This is ten percent luck,
    Twenty percent skill,
    Fifteen percent concentrated power of will,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,
    And a hundred percent reason to remember the name!

• There is a way to make things easier in SP without changing any files of the Mod.
    Go to your C:\Users\%Username\Documents\My Games\Freelancer folder and open the PerfOptions.ini. Then change the value DIFFICULTY_SCALE to something like 0.80 or less.
    This will reduce the damage you get from NPCs shooting at your ship, so the time you need to kill your enemies will probably not decrease. This will only help if you're having trouble to survive engagements.

Be sure you reset this setting when playing online - i don't know if this will affect Multiplayer too, but i wouldn't risk being banned for cheating or tempering with the Mod. IIRC OP has some anti-cheat-detection in his mod...

In the end, i agree with the other postings: it will do you more good, especially for PvP-fighting skills, if you take the time to train. NPCs are really not that hard, only a little bit tedious.

Edited once, last by Ghoti_1 ().

• There is a way to make things easier in SP without changing any files of the Mod.
    Go to your C:\Users\%Username\Documents\My Games\Freelancer folder and open the PerfOptions.ini. Then change the value DIFFICULTY_SCALE to something like 0.80 or less.
    This will reduce the damage you get from NPCs shooting at your ship, so the time you need to kill your enemies will probably not decrease. This will only help if you're having trouble to survive engagements.

Be sure you reset this setting when playing online - i don't know if this will affect Multiplayer too, but i wouldn't risk being banned for cheating or tempering with the Mod. IIRC OP has some anti-cheat-detection in his mod...

Leaving the difficulty setting at a low setting will not affect multiplayer experience. All information on settings comes from OP's server so anything you do to that file will not change multiplayer. Even if (god-forbid) you modded CF for your own needs, which I wouldn't recommend because CF's awesome enough as is and you could really screw yourself over if you tried, you would still get most information from the server in MP so things would be by OP's standards, not your own.

In the end, i agree with the other postings: it will do you more good, especially for PvP-fighting skills, if you take the time to train. NPCs are really not that hard, only a little bit tedious.

Thanks - this is useful. I have NO intentions of hacking MP - Because I don't like MP (Don't kill me for this) :D
    I'm playing CF exclusively for the SP campaign - I just don't like spending half hour per mission killing rats to do it. I don't mind the occasional shield/hull rep by the NPCs to add a little challenge - but 10 times is a bit too much for me!!

While the quoted suggestion will help a lot - I'd STILL like someway to reduce the number of shield/hull reps NPC rats can do, as I tried in my original post - with intentionally making it explicit to the Admin / OP I have no intention of using this in MP!!! So Please - help me out guys!! (Whine)

• Because I don't like MP (Don't kill me for this) :D

That's what I said to myself the first time before I joined in CF MP(4-5 years ago), but everything changed. Don't worry , even if you lose a lot, you WILL learn a lot.

Not to mention that you will even gain much more than that.

• sixsigma1978 if you make changes to the mod files (even if it is SP) you are in violation of the Liscence agreement! which OP brought up earlier in this post.. i would suggest that you dont change anything.. you can get into serious trouble for doing such things without permission!!!

May the shwartz be with you!
    :D

• It was like I was talking to a wall.

sixsigma1978 , I DON'T suggest you do anything , you can beat them up by the fair way. Everybody from here does that, and we all will continiue that way. It takes more time until you gain more experience before you can beat them up.

• i guess your not listening to OP when he says to re-read the liscnece agreement!! which you are trying to violate!!! doesnt matter if it is SP or not... you NEED permission to make changes to the mod because it is NOT yours to change!

Edited once, last by LoneAngel ().

• pretty much meaning.. what you are trying to do is illegal in some way === VIOLATION OF LISCENCE AGREEMENT

• All right. I don't understand the hoopla - but I'll respect it.

You dont understand? Let me simplify this for you man,How the heck would you feel if you spent Years on something ,Just to have someone nitpick something so simple as nanos and bats that npc's use.This mod is a masterpiece,you would be surpirsed how good the community really is for crossfire.people are willing to help,If your willing to listen.Otherwise have fun with your lawyer:Dhope its a good one

• calm down all
    just play the game and have fun
    if you want to reduce the difficulty of the npcs in SP follow the description above... but please dont alter any files

signew.jpg

cfmoddblogo.png5904.png5904.png
    http://www.moddb.com/scripts/topsite.php?ts=4766

Only dead fish swim with the stream.
    Don't discuss with idiots. They only drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience there.

This is ten percent luck,
    Twenty percent skill,
    Fifteen percent concentrated power of will,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,
    And a hundred percent reason to remember the name!