Official Crossfire Wiki (Database)

There are 90 replies in this Thread. The last Post () by Spiky-.

• The old CF Database is purely outdated and not looking that good.
    CF needs a new official Wiki... one that is linked with the Portal and the Server and gives access only to experienced users just like the old one did.

I can provide the neccessary wiki software (actually a 2nd version of the SWAT Games Wiki)... that would fit perfect into the portal, the CF page and would even allow us to set up special access conditions based on activity.

The only thing i can not do is to fill that wiki with content... you ppl are much more experienced with that. -> that would be your task.

Oppinions?

signew.jpg

cfmoddblogo.png5904.png5904.png
    http://www.moddb.com/scripts/topsite.php?ts=4766

Only dead fish swim with the stream.
    Don't discuss with idiots. They only drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience there.

This is ten percent luck,
    Twenty percent skill,
    Fifteen percent concentrated power of will,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,
    And a hundred percent reason to remember the name!

• Fill the information... everything on cf 1.81-2 ?
    Well... if as known, it's only for people with a bit of experience...
    Is a project where everyone has to cooperate a bit and take time for them searching stuff ? or it's a thing to be done fast... cus...

Chars: [CFPD]Michael~something (x25), [CFPD]~SQMS~{[(store)]} (x3), [CFPD]xfer, Event~Manager~Michael, StarfIier~EM~Michael, Event_Team_2, [GR]Michael[SP] and a blueprint of [CFPD]Sephirothis

• Do you mean a Wiki, like a Wiki overall (Gameplay, Roleplay, behaviour, Fractions, Bases, Equipment, JG/JH - Positions, Accessability (according to reputation))
    Or just a Wiki like the 'Wiki' on the Database for CF 1.7 (made by Dr.Straw) was?

• i mean wiki... such as... everything CF has to offer
    a source of knowledge ... a place where players can get info from

if its done fast or if its done bit by bit... thats the decision of everybody who is deciding to help with it

signew.jpg

Don't discuss with idiots. They only drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience there.

Twenty percent skill,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,

• Good idea, we have lots of explorers around, and this would allow everything in the game to be rechecked again and if needed, rebalances made.

|DP|Shock · |DP|Shockwave · |DP|Skyfall · |DP|Red.Dwarf

• Every single bit CF has to offer? That was not what you wanted before...

Click the image above to visit us.

• just as much as possible

signew.jpg

Twenty percent skill,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,

• do you also need like screenshots of the navmap of each system? or just the coords where something is?

• Guys, dont ask so many questions. You all know more or less what a wiki is. A knowledge database. If you think something is useful to know - add it. Someone else has the same idea and adds another part ;)
    We need to collect or write it down there: Systems, Owners (evtl. for bribes), Ships, Weapons, Wrecks, Special Story chapters, the roleplay, nearly everything that is important and may be interesting for someone to know, maps of course, eventually nice screenshots as well.

signature.png

• Well, the nav maps on my db look in 2 different ways... but ofc none in the new nav map looks :D

So people can reexplore them all to update them to the last look ? Without modificating every map... except adding bigger red X to the wrecks or the alien stations with no names on system view.

The older parts look like this:

And the newer parts look like this:

Chars: [CFPD]Michael~something (x25), [CFPD]~SQMS~{[(store)]} (x3), [CFPD]xfer, Event~Manager~Michael, StarfIier~EM~Michael, Event_Team_2, [GR]Michael[SP] and a blueprint of [CFPD]Sephirothis

• Is it possible to do a cheat of some kind in singleplayer to get all maps explored and then save the screenshots? Or in multiplayer on some special char, GR/EM?

• Then you do it! I mean, if people agree here. You have great display graphics, as can be seen from your wallpapers, and that makes you a good choice for this, if you choose to do it.

• I have one note for this: From my personal experience is creating something like CF wiki fun. I spent much time with SA database and it was big fun for me. If someone use for big parts this wiki non-standard procedures ... from system or using modified SP or ... it destroy this fun.

Best solution seems to me create Templates and then ppl can contribute their own explored datas, screenshots, informations etc. ... and because this will be not publicly open database, we do not need super top max details pictures. ... and they can be replaced if needed or if someone will have better.

• Quote from Huor

Yes but i wont publish it ;)
    Because its cheating - and the knowledge about it should not be shared

Great :)

Then you do it! I mean, if people agree here. You have great display graphics, as can be seen from your wallpapers, and that makes you a good choice for this, if you choose to do it.

Fine for me :D Let Huor do it all :P

lol... kidding...
    still, if we explore all the stuff wrecks and clouds(for full knowledge maps, not just bases and jumps) with normal multiplayer... it would take about a month ^^ counting as WE, not just 1 guy, and that WE also sleep and eat ^^

The navmap screenshos not only they don't need super resolution, they can't have too high resolution, as the definition is the same(above a level), jsut the size changes, and big maps on your screen don't help more than a 370x370 map(which you get on an 1024x768).

Also if the wiki will be done by more players, everyone have to agree on 1 resolution.

Late edit:
    example of a 370x370 map, with added alien station names.

Edited once, last by Michael ().

• The NavMaps needs the grid around. Much easier then.

I am still unsure what OP wants in his Wiki, all Data (Turnrates, dimensions and everything of Ships - Rep Fixing - Empathy values - every possible Shield or Weapon or whatelse data) or only the data which can be seen/explored...

We can offer Flash files from every 1.7 Ship if it helps.

Click the image above to visit us.

• I can add myself made maps the same resolution as Mike + coordinates. If we have at least ten serious contributors, time for creating this not be so long.

With resolution is here one serious problem. For some systems is vital use max game resolution, because it shows all details (Sovetskaya for example). ... max resolution have much better seeing details. ...for wiki I think is better for systems maps use max resolution. I have ooooold PC and still can switch to this resolution if I need it for taking system screenshots.

Examples below.

• As you can see in your examples, in fact, the maps say the same thing on higher or lower res... better located or not is not a problem as you can select a station name or something and a locator(crossbow or something) will appear on it. If it'll be an interactive wiki...
    At least... I can give some contributors all the maps of everything, with big red crosses on wrecks, and you reexplore it on the same resolution, on the new navmaps.

It'd be better if we don't edit each map to add the names of each cloud or something... as they aren't the real maps, where people search gates, stations or equip, not the details of the universe. Still we could do 2 versioins of the DB, both viewable... one for normal maps, and one of full detailed ones. First we have to finish the normal DB, then we see about editing the maps for more names that don't appear on the map.

Hint: For the cload names and such, when you rollover the cloud, you see a small box with it's name... you can screenshot that box and simply copy the letter of it's name and paste them on teh system map, they'll look the same (font, model, color, everything) as any other station and stuff names, isntead of that white font :)

• 2Mike: you see Charkow outpost at low resolution? you need zoom to this location when you need see it ... Altair and maybe also IC sectors have overall maps bigger ... i am also uncertain if for example for Utopia it in lower resolution shows all planets near sun cluster.

Besides, is here some serious problem why not use max. resolution for system maps? ... you are far more experienced as I, so I could overlook some important reasons.

p.s.: thx for this tip. ... i not knew (at time when i create DB maps), that all print-screen shots are stored in documents pictures folder, so i every one shot insert manually to picture sw.

• Well, some ppl's screen resolution would affect much on having over half screen filled with that map and couldn't see the rest of the info... (like portable PCs use) .
    Would also mean to rebuild everything from scratch, but as we do that anyway (means forgetting about the old DB ) it'd be ok on using the 600x600 one(only the map, without the borders). The idea with automatic add arround the map of the vertical and horizontal sector bars was great... (like how you see on my 2 screenshots).

The DB I have is in html, more or less, and works as a site if somebody make the fixes for it as DrStraw with sivosten db.

The universal map tho, has to be concetrated, many dots on a small place, else you would have to search the stuff up and down, and when rollovering the dots, you wouldn't see the preview map as it'd be above your screens sight :D It has to be more practical and easy(to find the info you need), than chaotic and eye candy :P

If somebody's interested in remaking this one with a similar structure, for the DB, here is my old model.

EDIT: Could have made a pentagon by moving Meschhed... but moving or modifying the entire "History" square would use more time...