vs Discovery mod

There are 38 replies in this Thread. The last Post () by Vishnu.

• Well for the differences you might compare the features each mod offers. We dont like to compare in detail because every mod has its advantages and disadvantages.

Besides all this Crossfire is known to be one of the biggest mods outside. So you can expect a variety of new systems and ships here. Besides a good and active online player community.
    (I dont say Discovery dont has this too)

• I see it like this:
    Crossfire merges Freelancer with Starlancer
    Discovery just adds to Freelancer

Also, Crossfire has just one server, while (AFAIK) anyone can host a Discovery server - this has increased Disco's popularity

<table border="0" align="center" width="75%" height="40px" cellspacing="0"><tr>
    <td align="left" background="http://img217.imageshack.us/img217/9442/swatwj7.png" width="2px"></td>
    <td valign="top" align="center" width="100%" background="http://img182.imageshack.us/img182/401/swatya1.gif"><font face="serif" color="white" size="5">&#191;&#647;&#592;&#653;&#387;&#592;&#623; - magwat?</font></td>
    <td align="right" background="http://img27.imageshack.us/img27/6025/swatright.png" width="2px"></td>
    </tr></table>
    <!--<hr width="85%" />

Fix'd.

-->

• I played both in SP and MP (where Disco is long ago now), both have good improvements but tbh i was cought from the different storylines and the logical matches in CF it gave me a feeling to be realy in a complete enviroment and it was damn funny to explore the mod while hunting the hidden hints - the CF community did the rest.

Click the image above to visit us.

• Well, I've played FL a lot and my first mod was , " Misteries of the Nebula " or something, the Predator ship there is awesome, awesome design,,, anyways, my 2nd one was the Discovery. Discovery is a good and beautiful mod indeed, but when CF came out(when I saw it in fact), I decided to try it and I got inlove with it, so everybody has his own taste... You can try it too if you want, I love it anyways, the best Mod I've ever played of Freelancer[Crossfire].

PS: We also can make a little battle if that's possible, I mean,, the ppl of Discovery vs the ppl of Crossfire , if there's something which can connect the both Mods into 1 PvP server, it will be nice , but I don't belive it would happen anyways^^

• its hard to compare two mods which have completly different designs and concepts
    both are good... both are a matter of taste

signew.jpg

cfmoddblogo.png5904.png5904.png
    http://www.moddb.com/scripts/topsite.php?ts=4766

Only dead fish swim with the stream.
    Don't discuss with idiots. They only drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience there.

This is ten percent luck,
    Twenty percent skill,
    Fifteen percent concentrated power of will,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,
    And a hundred percent reason to remember the name!

• That's true! i play multiple mods to gain experience in different combat engagements.
    And OP you made one hell of a light fighter, That AI was my favorite i mean, having a half hour
    battle on my first encounter was extremely awesome!

• Well I have played tons of Crossfire and Disco, I even hosted the first T1 West Coast based Disco server (moved to an area without T1 and was forced to close it :()

I currently play Crossfire and several people from my old Disco server are moving (or already have moved) to Crossfire. Both mods are great and I HIGHLY suggest you try them both since everyone's opinion will be different.

To sum up some differences, Disco adds more to FL that you will immediately notice. However, Crossfire adds better polished things to FL. Also the player base on Disco tends to be quite a bit larger than on Crossfire, especially now that the version 4.85 just got released. However this is partially due to the fact that Disco has more word-of-mouth advertising.

All in all I personally prefer Crossfire, but Disco will always hold a special place in my heart as well since I was so active with it for so long.

They are both excellent mods and to write one of them off simply because of one persons opinion would be doing yourself a disservice. So check out the feature lists and try them out for yourself!

Crossfire 1.7 Features
    Discovery 4.85 Features

Sleep, Priestess, Lie in peace
    Sleep, Priestess, Lie in peace
    If the Priestess wakes from her dream
    Perform the rite of stakes
    Her limbs pinned tight
    Lest the doors open wide
    And suffering unleashed on all.

Originally posted by SWAT_OP-R8R
    its hard to compare two mods which have completly different designs and concepts
    both are good... both are a matter of taste

This is the best answer you'll get. Try both out if you want to know which one is more fun.

Member of the Lost Prophets since 2006!

• I don't even think there is a better mod, if you look with atention you will find about 6 or even 8 very well done mods around, and noone of them is better then the others.

There's also much about the communities, server managements and purpose of the mod (as it is meant to be Single Player or only Multiplayer). they also explore freelancer in diffrente ways. In the end you can only play it to make a decision.

By last, the best mod doesn't have to make the best server, which doesn't need to have the bigest ammount of players. Is all muc about what you are looking then what the other's are looking for.

eYf-Bb3kqDGZowNom6-Xa5yH0mydz8mBks6wgxw14TQ5NwEJBwfq4f1yRZFAlDX2qQ1-L2f4dN_jPCc4gHS39_4_KEcGf2rKKAIS9lt8znRUc0bbwU4HNGMbSmj-T1tQKW2T0FKHNMXYsHEHc4Qagn3xOVsBjwqOdFH4JyoGcTZdqMwXHFy76r9Fmny4UKT5zjWLQpDkuPo04jpg8sBGnCda4adtRxGHGbDw62IeEFT0WCu_go8lDBHh0WtGmPobfV87RVBaEqL3EGKAaPPRkjp-CR4J4phrjQzZQ2VUtg_-y5LTVcuqnCQugz3jfjP7xQqfvKNkjyMHKU9r4sV_D9IcYmVpYHXZ8ahWfGhesJkd0J8qCXtHRCwhnoMSF31z-piViN7S8MprdxmNA5irBMSB2cjAswp9SVe6wiATbaZEJG1bXg7_LbTVfiytOpYeKWjeQtra39Duhqgml8OV_4sQbY6hoi84NZ_mUayUfNOcCWuOlrLas3DPtvqq0cEfGOV-N6jSPssgvTCKTU4Y9OD8vIz14HCDKBAwi7NnvilwamcVEXqM3kH8YjIYyHtDaf7d8wY5caOUu4Y1AWfmJlZKMcVidj_K2RLYI_XQT8AQe3FnXn_-0fQfB2CPwbeJl_F7Nx-JLwk40KkWAON4x4TXBCq-rw9dmoLGDoS8ftamBKX9EZUxxbPSwuWzIU-ZviAWliUP_mLn8ILYZ-tt4SEnb5sUJkI0GWlLakmDHOwHtH3zAw8O0gt-wuCZCS5vGpuxt9tRDWS1_cIXvZML-ZRrZAHv0mig99hrUX4UMKGoM7FvaIiqnDDZPKMKJO8rA6jAx58nLCki-Xg8ci6ke5uspV7aCUQOmh6U3sZd5Z7acqvypYBAIo8lOMYpbCWRVqdyzaxTA_BdhKN_2OZ3aUK7qkATbEDHMxeu5d_NyqurxvYno5p-zBhnKVT6MNXRE2EpJq1cacTU9WuPNYWJSSF8kAw0_kS8QHURYgbHXpfRKENjBHUaV9h2jA=w348-h200-s-no?authuser=0

• Very true. But as i see it. the best mod or game in the world is only the best to you
    Or one you made yourself. like you said, everyone has there own taste. mine is lots of firepower
    massive battlefields and a goggle amount of enemy's! [8]

• I was playing Discovery for a while but it seems with the latest release of Discovery the SP storyline has gone and it is now just open SP, which in my view sort of defeats the purpose of single player. With just open SP you might as well just be playing online MP. That's just my opinion though.

• CF went the opposite way
    it was OpenSP and got a SP mode because the players requested it

signew.jpg

cfmoddblogo.png5904.png5904.png
    http://www.moddb.com/scripts/topsite.php?ts=4766

Only dead fish swim with the stream.
    Don't discuss with idiots. They only drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience there.

This is ten percent luck,
    Twenty percent skill,
    Fifteen percent concentrated power of will,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,
    And a hundred percent reason to remember the name!

Originally posted by SWAT_OP-R8R
    CF went the opposite way
    it was OpenSP and got a SP mode because the players requested it

Well then finish it up already, damnit! LOL

• Actually, the people at Discovery tried to keep the SP intact for as long as they could, but after a while the storyline (and the game) wouldn't make any sense anymore since so many new things have been added. I think you can actually still de-activate OpenSP in the mod installation thing in the FLMM.

Member of the Lost Prophets since 2006!

• No not any more you can't it is purely open SP now, or so it seems. I went to disable open SP and there is no option but to run it in open sp.