ELITE IV

There are 10 replies in this Thread. The last Post () by Bond.

• Elite is a seminal space trading computer game, originally published by Acornsoft in 1984 for the BBC Micro and Acorn Electron computers. The game's title derives from one of the player's goals of raising their combat rating to the exalted heights of "Elite." It was written and developed by David Braben and Ian Bell, who had met while they were both undergraduates at Jesus College, Cambridge. Non-Acorn versions of the game were published by Firebird, Imagineer and Hybrid Technology.

Elite's open ended game model, advanced game engine and revolutionary 3D graphics ensured that it was ported to virtually every contemporary home computer system, and earned it a place as a classic and a genre maker in gaming history. Elite was a hugely influential game, serving as a model for more recent games such as EVE Online, Freelancer, Jumpgate, Infinity: The Quest for Earth, Wing Commander: Privateer and the X series of space trading games.

There have been a number of Elite sequels, and the long awaited and much denied existence of a new elite game is finally coming to and end with the following discovery at play.com.

http://www.play.com/Games/PC/4…xt-Encounter/Product.html

From this we can deduce that there will obviously be a separate online multi player version to follow. With Jumpgate coming soon and now Elite IV, things really are looking sweet for the space gamers future.

signew.jpg

cfmoddblogo.png5904.png5904.png
    http://www.moddb.com/scripts/topsite.php?ts=4766

Only dead fish swim with the stream.
    Don't discuss with idiots. They only drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience there.

This is ten percent luck,
    Twenty percent skill,
    Fifteen percent concentrated power of will,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,
    And a hundred percent reason to remember the name!

• Jumping the gun there a bit i think. E4 isn't even in development yet.

If you have a look at the Frontier forums which are the official forums for Frontier developments, the company owned by Dave Braben, you will see they are currently working on a game called the Outsider.

The rumour and i stress that it's only a rumour is that development on E4 "might" start once they finish coding the Outsider and not before. Play.com are idiots tbh for even posting that as there is still a good chance E4 won't go into production

I personally would love to see another ELITE game as it was the first one i ever played.

• still a chance

signew.jpg

cfmoddblogo.png5904.png5904.png
    http://www.moddb.com/scripts/topsite.php?ts=4766

Only dead fish swim with the stream.
    Don't discuss with idiots. They only drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience there.

This is ten percent luck,
    Twenty percent skill,
    Fifteen percent concentrated power of will,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,
    And a hundred percent reason to remember the name!

• Well Elite 4's release will always be speculative at best. If DB ever does release it though, i'll be fighting my way up to the shops to reserve myself a copy.

Frontier - Elite 2 was always my personal fave.

<-------ONCE AGAIN ARISING FROM THE ASHES. ONCE MORE TO KICKS THE CSF's ASS TO THE NEXT SECTOR.------>

http://i024.radikal.ru/0810/0b/985e1e888a76.jpg

<-----------------------------------------------DC Phoenix - General [866][865][866]---------------------------------------------->

[21] Intel Q6600 @ 2.4Ghz - Asus P5KC M/B - Ati Sapphire HD3870 512Mb GDDR4 Graphic Card - Ballstic 4x1Gb DDR2 1066Mhz RAM - 1 x 160GB + 1 x 250Gb SATA HDD - 2 x DVD-R/W Drive - Jeantech Orchid 575w PSU - iCute Custom Case - ACER P223w 22" Widescreen Monitor - Wireless Keyboard And Mouse - 5.1 Surround Sound Setup - Take Pride In Your System And Build It Yourself [21]

• The both Developers of Elite do not like each other anymore (that was btw. fact before II and III was released).

Because of this i doubt Elite IV will ever be released :(

My favorite was the Godfather Elite - but i never managed to push Jameson to the Top unfortunal...

Click the image above to visit us.

• Elite, THE reference as DUNE was THE reference for C&C alikegames !
    I remember how frustrating it was to get your ship in the hangar of a station, rotating as the station in Odyssey movie... until I discovered the key combo to make entering a station automatic !

• I myself was on te original Elite on the BBC B

My brother used to play it a lot and at first I found all the controls very confusing.

But those ships were quite amazing - and seeing them recreated was something else on the later versions - including te bugged from hell version i bought for PC.

Which is why when I got freelacner and learned about "Mods" afterwards - one of the first i picked up was the Elite Ships mod.

The music in those later verions was pretty damn good.

• Would be cool, I miss Elite...and my old Commadore 64 :)

I roam space in search of adventure and treasure.

{LP}Marauder{X} of the Lost Prophets

MARAUDER n 1: someone who attacks in search of booty
    "marauder": Syn: bandit, buccaneer, desperado, forager, looter, pillager, pirate, plunderer, predator, raider

FYI: Lost Prophets are currently recruiting, please talk with a representative online :D

Originally posted by Azadur
    Which is why when I got freelacner and learned about "Mods" afterwards - one of the first i picked up was the Elite Ships mod.

The music in those later verions was pretty damn good.

any resources for those mods?

I would like to try it...

Would be nice to pilot the Cobra MK III again :]

Click the image above to visit us.