The Passion

There are 24 replies in this Thread. The last Post () by Lord_Andy.

• Tonight i went to see 'The Passion of The Christ'
    Has anyone else seen this film at what did you make of it.

I know there has been a lot of hype especially about the scenes of violence, but Mel Gibson has portrayed this as like no-other film has ever done.
    It certainly made me think about things deeply afterwards.

I would highly recommend this film, just make sure you have a sick bag handy. :D

• Yes, i d rather see this movie starring Jezus instead of the one with Halle Berry :D

Lord_Andy
    Wingleader of CSP

[1752] Bow For The Lord [1752]

Originally posted by Lord_Andy
    Yes, i d rather see this movie starring Jezus instead of the one with Halle Berry :D

u mean "gothika", this horror movie ?

One more road to cross ,
    one more risk to take,
    gotta live my life
    like there´s one more move to make

• some things u should b aware of:

Film should b correctly titled "The Passion of Mel" cos he cant tell the difference

Nicely antisemitic :( - kinda ignores the fact the Pontius Pilate was the one responsible for the cruxifiction, NOT the Jewish High Priest. Thank u Hollywood for once again screwing with the facts (see U571...among others)

Read this...[URL=http://film.guardian.co.uk/News_Story/Critic_Review/Observer_review/0,4267,1158620,00.html]Review by Mark Kermode[/URL]

(this critic is very good, if a bit up himself)

• Err, i think you are wrong Bhaal.
    The Jews decided to give Jesus up to the Romans and accuse him of high treason agaisnt the Romans. Pilatus said we have no evidence of that, hence the saying of his( i wash my hands) he did not have to do anything with the execution of an innocent man.
    I believe the only mistake they have make is in the spoken language of the times. Every educated man knows that, the common used language, spoken, in all Roman Provinces at that time, was Greek. Not Aramatic.
    Aramatic is the language of a small tribe the Aramaians. And was never used widely at those places that Jesus lived.

BG-Pelegrin
    Wing leader of the CSP

*This is my world, and you are just living in it!*

• That review was utterly rubbish.
    The guy found the wholly movie false because of the gory bits? Tell him to read more history, and then listen to other critics as well.

BG-Pelegrin
    Wing leader of the CSP

• Firstly, its Aramaic, and it was the language most widely spoke in Israel/Palestine at the time. It was the language the bible was first writen in.

Secondly, history shows that Pilate was a murdering thug...on the whole. The Jews where NOT responsible for the death of Jesus. that was just yet another excuse for some uneducated ppl in the middle ages to go on a pogrom...or do u believe we eat the flesh of christian babies at pesach (which insidentally starts tomorrow) as well...or all the other things which the Jews have been accused of over the years.

Finally...i like that guy. i generally agree with his reviews...except Pirates of the Caribean, which he said was crap...that review is a very individual take, but an interesting one i feel. dont rubbish ppl cos u dont agree.
    his point is its actually more like a horror story than a "realistic" depiction of the events that "actually" occured. not the quotation marks...as i think the whole thing is utter utter wank.

• lol, of course the jews were responsible for his death !
    It was like pele said.
    The jews turned him over, but pilatus didnt want to execute him.
    But in the end the ppl got to decide if they would release Jezus or another criminal.
    Jezus lost ...

Lord_Andy
    Wingleader of CSP

• Jesus Christ (c.6 BC-c. AD 30), the central figure of Christianity, believed by his followers to be the Son of God. In Christian belief Jesus Christ is fully divine, of one essence with God the Father and God the Holy Spirit in the doctrine of the Trinity. The Gospels of the Bible are the main sources of information about Jesus. According to them, Jesus was born at Bethlehem to Mary, by tradition a virgin, in the reign of Augustus Caesar. He was brought up at Nazareth in Galilee and received a traditional Jewish education. He may have been a carpenter, the trade of Mary's husband, Joseph. About AD 27 he was baptized in the River Jordan by John the Baptist and shortly thereafter started his public ministry of preaching and healing (with reported miracles). Through his popular style of preaching, with the use of parables and proverbs, he proclaimed the imminent approach of the Kingdom of God and the ethical and religious qualities demanded of those who were to enjoy it (summarized in the Sermon on the Mount). His interpretation of Jewish law did not reject ceremonial observances but placed them in subordination to the fundamental principles of charity, sincerity, and humility. From among his followers in Galilee he selected twelve disciples to be his personal companions and to teach his message. His preaching brought him into conflict with the Jewish authorities. In the knowledge of this he travelled to Jerusalem where he was betrayed by Judas Iscariot, one of his disciples, and condemned to death by the Sanhedrin, the highest Jewish court. He then appeared before the Roman governor, Pontius Pilate, who sentenced Jesus to death by crucifixion. His followers claimed that after three days the tomb in which his body had been placed was empty and that he had been seen alive in a glorified but recognizable form. Belief in his resurrection from the dead spread among his followers, who saw in this proof that he was the Messiah or Christ ('anointed one' in Hebrew and Greek respectively), the fulfilment of the hopes of Israel (as recorded in the Old Testament) and of all men. His followers started to form Christian communities around Jerusalem from which grew the Christian Church. The compassion he displayed in life to the poor and lowly is held up as an example of Christian conduct, and his sacrifice of his life is the core of the doctrine of atonement, by which God redeems humanity from sin. The Christian calendar of festivals revolves around the life of Jesus Christ, and the drama of his life, suffering, death, and resurrection lies at the heart of Christian ritual and belief.

---------------------------------------------------------
    Excerpted from The Oxford Interactive Encyclopedia
    Developed by The Learning Company, Inc. Copyright (c) 1997 TLC Properties Inc. All rights reserved.

BG-Pelegrin
    Wing leader of the CSP

• Very nice :D
    that about sums it up yes.
    And bhaal, plz dont call me ignorant when it comes to the bible, u could regret it!
    I just cant express it all very well in English. But if u want a "bible discussion" i ll be happy to do so ;)

Lord_Andy
    Wingleader of CSP

• can i just enquire wat the faiths of andy and pele are? i find this intruiging....

anyway...for now im not gonna say any more...i will find some sources to prove i know wat im talking about, then i will be able to explain wat i said slightly better...
    till then...

• Jehova's Withness, born and raised !
    So i think i know the bible ...
    I dont really live exactly by their standards, but my parents raised me that way, so i ve read the bible completely and kinda know it by heart.

Lord_Andy
    Wingleader of CSP

Originally posted by Pelegrin
    Err, i think you are wrong Bhaal.
    The Jews decided to give Jesus up to the Romans and accuse him of high treason agaisnt the Romans. Pilatus said we have no evidence of that, hence the saying of his( i wash my hands) he did not have to do anything with the execution of an innocent man.
    I believe the only mistake they have make is in the spoken language of the times. Every educated man knows that, the common used language, spoken, in all Roman Provinces at that time, was Greek. Not Aramatic.
    Aramatic is the language of a small tribe the Aramaians. And was never used widely at those places that Jesus lived.

it´s definitely not "the jews" but a few single persons. watch out with such expressions

One more road to cross ,
    one more risk to take,
    gotta live my life
    like there´s one more move to make

• It was just afew who were shuting to free Barabas and execute Crist!

BG-Pelegrin
    Wing leader of the CSP

• "The Prophets and the Apostles have recorded in written form a portion of the oral teaching of the Old Testament in Hebrew and Aramaic as well as the New Testament in Greek. "...ok pele, so we were both right there...in slightly different ways ;)

other than that i wont say any more here, except that i think the film depicted the High Priest in a rather distored light, making him seem rather evil.

oh yeh, remember the FILM? lol...hmm maybe we could start a bible debate thread...but that would b boring. 13 years studying the Old Testament is enough for me lol

• i dont know, could be interesting :P
    Maybe we can all start by quoting our favourite paragraphs ;)

Lord_Andy
    Wingleader of CSP